thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  11:05:05 AM  Show Profile
I have been over run with these little buggers!!!!! I got some Torro and put out, although I hate the idea of chemicals. I put it out on a bit of foil in the shape of a smiey face. For a week I made the 'smiey face' 4-5 times a day. it seemed to get rid of them, but alass they are back again this week after all the rain we had.

The reason for the smiley face is I sing to them when I put it out
'Smile a while and bid me sad adeiu' as I sure don't like them, and they seem so small this year. This is the first year I have had them in my house. I've had them on the porches but not inside.

Just was wondering if anyone else was having a proplem with them.
You all take care and have a good day.

Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have little trails of them coming in everywhere...ICK!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile
I had a problem with them until just recently. Seems they like to invade my kitchen counters at a certain time in the spring and fall. I put some borax along the cracks where they were coming in, and that seemed to help. They finally went away, guess they couldn't find anything to eat. I don't miss them.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  8:15:11 PM  Show Profile
One thing that has worked for me for years is bay leaves, I buy them in bulk at the organic store and for about forty cents repel the little buggers all season long. Ants do not like the smell of bay and I don't have to worry about the fur kins or the grandkins picking up those traps. I have recommended this to my clients and all reported that it helps. Do not buy the leaves in the jar-- way to expensive, by bulk they are almost 1/20 th of the cost.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile
We have sprinkled cayenne pepper along the areas where they come in and have seen success with that. But it needs to be reapplied to be effective, due to sweeping and cleaning and such....good luck. Hopefully it is just a random occurance. Erica
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  12:13:47 PM  Show Profile
Ants dont like cinnamon.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  04:30:25 AM  Show Profile
These irritating guys have been making their way into my kitchen-one here, one there, never a trail, just one on my counter every day, or one on the floor...I have NO idea what to do about them. I know it's because of the water, as they're not forming a trail, but it's so irritating! I hate all these bugs moving inside!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile
I use Terro. Works for me everytime. Only have to use it once a year in the Spring and then they are gone.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  1:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I have them right now too. I thought they were gone but they came back after the rain this morning. They are the worst they have ever been. Borax and cinnamon didn't keep them at bay so i'm using the Terro. It is creepy how they belly up like pigs at a trough to that stuff. Hopefully after a few days they will be gone. I cleaned the counter tops really well and moved everything off of them. The only food in that part of the kitchen was the sugar bowl next to the coffee pot, and they did not get into that! What are they coming in for if they are not eating anything?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  2:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When we had ant problems, we mixed borax and sugar and put it out around the foundation. Borax and honey works well too. It got rid of the ants permanently in about 2-4 weeks.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  7:09:50 PM  Show Profile
what proportion of borax to sugar do you use Alee?

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Sugar Ants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page