Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  12:54:54 PM  Show Profile
okay the mice have to go! im looking for alternatives to poisons and have heard of people using combinations of herbs, does any one know what they are? or any other tips on getting rid of these little pest.
i also have cats and small house birds around.
thanks for any help

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  2:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mice are supposed to hate Peppermint. I would place cottonballs soaked in peppermint oil in any place that has their trace in on or around it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile
The peppermint did nothing for us in NYC. The only thing we found that worked was a cat. Do you have a house cat? You may not have a "mouser". You may want a stinky cat too. Our cat is extra stinky and got rid of all our mice (and we were over ran!) in less then 24 hours. I think it had to do with her being stinky!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile
I use mousetraps. Works just fine. A hint I got from a Tasha Tudor book is for 3 days put raisins on the trap without setting it. This causes the mice to become complacent and "stupid". Then, on the 4th night set the trap and put the food on it. Works like a charm. We seem to always catch the varmints. Then in the trash they go!

I also got a tip on a camping website that Bounce sheets work well to deter mice from taking up winter residence in the camper. Have yet to try that one.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - BalancingAct on May 23 2011 9:53:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile
If you can take the smell, mothballs work really well. I worked at a state park where we put them in the cabins for overwintering. It kept the mice out and protected the place from cotton moths. It took 3 days of scrubbing and deodorizing to get rid of the smell though.

I have used them in our basement out of desperation. The smell creeps into the house, but it got rid of the mice.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
We used traps and peanut butter. In the house, behind the fridge, in drawers, cabins, closets...she we didn't "catch" anymore, my dear friend who owns a pest control company, suggested we bait and place traps under the house, to deter the critters from following their predecessors path into the house. It seemed to work great. While I had to dispose of very yuckie stuff for about a week, we haven't had another problem.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
there is a live trap for mice, called a "Tin Cat", you bait with what ever you have, P.B., jelly, crackers, dog/cat kibble, etc...they get in, can't get out, then you dispose in anyway you want, across town, in a field, etc, move it around every time you empty it, use differant bai teach time, and they last forever...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic mice in the house Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page