Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 while spring cleaning, i killed my oven!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic while spring cleaning, i killed my oven!! Next Topic  

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  7:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I feel like such a ninnie! Alee posted a few days ago about spring cleaning. I got inspired. We have only been in this house 11 months. During these 11 months I have hated my oven. It's 24 inches!! I bake obsessivly, and entertain constantly. When you looked in the window of the door, there were grease drips inside, on the glass panel between the inside and outside window. It drove me nuts. I turned on the self cleaning cycle, yet again. I scrubbed with SOS pads. I knew I needed to take the door apart. So, being inspired by Alee, I did so. I got every inch of three of four glass panels sparkling. Then I did something either very wrong, or just right!! The last glass panel, the insulation piece was all that was left. I moved it to the sink, and just brought the SOS pad to it and it completely EXPLODED in my hand, sink, it rained glass everywhere. I broke my oven, just by cleaning it. It wasn't hot. It wasn't cold.the three others took cleaning just fine. It was crazy!

So, there goes my anniversary celebration money for April! I now have to go buy an oven, a size I don't want, a new oven, and we want to save and redo our cabinets, so I could fit a much bigger double oven! Ugh.*sigh*

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  05:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Before you purchase a new oven, check around. You may be able to just purchase a replacement glass panel.

Good luck (I hate my oven too!)

Debi

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:55:11 AM  Show Profile
i agree with debi. or you could check habitat for humanity for a good used one. i hate my oven door. it looks like yours. i was thinking of doing that. well i will learn from your boo boo. sorry it happened. let us know what you choose to do. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  08:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Debi,
The glass was just a super thin 12x8 panel. I wonder if I can just go to a glass shop and have one cut? I'll have to look into that if I can replace as a part for that oven.

Sherrye,
The habitat for humanity anywhere near us is a storage warehouse. Only twice a year, they open the doors. I'm thinking maybe I'll search creigslist for a used oven. The stores have only one choice for a 24" oven, and its ALWAYS black! I don't like black appliances, simply because even when you get them clean, the lint from the towel settles on them!
My oven is a wall oven, sandwiched between a backsplash tiled wall, and my refrigerator. I can't get a bigger one, or double oven, without redoing my cabinets.
I just find it embarrassing when people are over, and I'm baking one thing at a time, in my Barbie Doll sized oven, with grease running down the window!!
Please learn from my boo boo! Lol. I had a little break down, cried, and my poor DH was grabbing the shop vac, cleaning glass with me, trying to console me, and trying not to laugh....all I could think was "how am I going to bake? I killed my oven!!"

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Debi,
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Actually, I have the same problem in my oven glass. I see the drips but I haven't been able to figure out how to clean them. I would never be brave enough to take the door apart. Now I know I won't attempt it for sure. I have a tea towel hanging on the oven door handle to sort of hide the drips. I hope you can find a reasonable replacement.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  09:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Laila,
It was only 6 screws and the door was apart, really simple, BUT the outcome wasn't so good. One plus, there isn't a single grease smear, cuz the glass is gone!:) I was doing the tea towels too. I change them with the seasons and holidays. I was just annoyed, because I KNEW what I was hiding under them... oh well. I'm glad I want the only one who had these grease marks inside the door. When I get my new used oven, and it too has grease marks, maybe I'll be less embarrassed, cuz you gals have 'um too! LOL

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well, I was making it work. Then for mothers day I got a surprise. I got a beautiful new white oven! There are no streaks inside the Windows, and it has all the pieces, and I will keep it that way!! It is the best oven I have ever had. The difference in accurate, even heat blows my mind. It may be too small, buyer can't remodel the kitchen yet, so my DH thought I should get a new one for now. It is wonderful!!! Yay!
It was a floor model in an appliance store and only cost $100.00!!! Can you believe it?

Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Annette, I am so glad it all worked out and you were able to replace the oven. When I first started reading the post I was worried you had cut yourself or got glass on your body from the breaking...so relieved you are ok. That is seriously scary though....I may never attempt to clean the oven door now. Again, so glad you are ok and happy your new oven is working so well for you. Baking with even temperature really makes a difference...:) Hugs, Erica
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  1:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I appreciate your concern Erica. My 2 year old DS is ALWAYS literally on my apron strings. I was terrified the raining glass would cut him. Thankfully even with the force the pieces flew, nothing got us. It was tempered glass, so the pieces were tiny squares. I'm so thankful we weren't hurt too!

I have had one other oven I liked, but this one far surpasses it! My dream is to redo all the cabinets and counters, and convince my DH we can't live without the new Vermont Bun Baker. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Maybe next year...&hearts

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
annette! you are so lucky nobody got hurt! i am so glad to hear that you both are unharmed and you have new oven.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  2:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations on the new stove ~ how exciting... and just in time to start those new jams and jellies! Enjoy

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  1:54:35 PM  Show Profile
This reminds me I need to clean my oven but I think I will skip the door! Seriously though congrats on your new oven. What a neat present
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  08:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday was bakin day, and ladies, what a JOY the day was!! Two loads of Sourdough, a cinnamon pizza, and some treats for my in-laws too. I just kept going. I didn't want to turn my oven off. At 11pm, my DH said, "it smells so good in here, we are all full...can we go to bed? You can play again after church tomorrow." Lol. I begrudgingly turned it off, and Hung up my apron...

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Yay for new ovens! The night that my daughter was born, my DH went home to clean up. Well, the door to the oven snapped shut (it was wonky anyway) and the glass absolutely exploded about 15 feet straight out! Thankfully, he had just stepped out of the way, but I was finding glass even years later.

When we moved into this house, I had a 36" oven, which I really enjoyed. However, it was from the 70s, and the electric wiring went bad. Upon the strong suggestion of my appliance man, he recommended scrapping it, and I was pretty bummed about it. Most new ovens are 32", I think, so I had to get a smaller one. But I love my new oven...it is much more reliable and super easy to clean. Congrats on your new addition, lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amanda, the new ones seem to work so well, with even temp, and accuracy...but who wants smaller, right? Don't people still have big Sunday brunches, or family gatherings on Holidays? The deserts, turkey, ham, bread, other sides, they all go in the oven, so why are all the new ones smaller?
I really want a wood burning, but my DH really wants an industrial kitchen. Restaurant size fridge, oven, cooktop...we will have to see who wins...lol
I'm glad your hubby stepped out of the way! I know what you mean about finding glass years later. I sweep every day, more glass. I have tile counters, so I have to clean flour and other spills out of grout lines every day, more glass... oh well. Thankfully no injuries.
I made cherry pies two nights ago, and they browned up so beautifully, I couldn't believe it. I always thought I was doing something wrong! It was my uneven oven heat all this time! Yay! My bread are turning out better, my last turkey was prettier, and even the kids chicken strips I bake are chrunchier, without being dry inside. This is the 10th oven I've called "mine". In my first marriage we moved a lot. This oven is way too small, but far better than any I've used! So I guess I'll say thank Heaven for "small" blessings!

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Lol, yes, the size kinda stinks, but I do use a breadmaker occasionally to make bread, so that frees up the oven. I also still use my CrockPot and pressure cooker. Kinda like musical chairs sometimes. I totally agree with you, the accuracy is awesome. My old oven did the same thing; it heated very unevenly and I had to turn dishes to get them done the same way on both sides. NO more, lol!

Growing up, we had 2 wall ovens, which was great. Nowadays, though, most people just do not cook. I can't imagine! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Annette, Thank you for the idea on how to finally get rid of my oven. I have hated it since the day it moved in..... So now all I have to do it take the door apart and hope for the best. LOL. I am glad no one was hurt and you are in love with your new one.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  7:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Betty Jo,
This was so funny I had to read it out loud to DH. Isn't it awful to dislike such a vital part of the kitchen, heck, of life? Best of luck, I'll be praying your oven breaks.;)

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic while spring cleaning, i killed my oven!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page