True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I'm interested in running. I have not tried it yet so I was wondering if anyone had any advice or pointers to get me started.

Could someone also recommend a decent running shoe (maybe one that I can also use for walking?) I don't have ALOT of money to spend right now.

Thanks in advance :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13628 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13628 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  6:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sharon,
Come on over and you can go on my "Power Walks" with me & Bramble. I use intervals of fast, short strides; long, "pump-it" strides; some sprinting and some jogging. I usually do 30 miles a week: 2 days-4 miles each day; 2 days-5 miles each day; 2 days-6 miles each day. Not necessarily in that order.

The shoes I like the best are ASICS with gel. There are a zillion different "models" and I find the best buys at Onlineshoes.com. But I started using them with the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk training and have never turned back. Any runner or avid walker will tell you that you won't be able to wear them forever and they will NOT LOOK worn out but their inner "workings" will wear out. When I start feeling certain pains in my feet, legs or hips then I know it's time to get out a new pair. I usually buy my shoes 2 pair at a time and write on them somewhere (some people write on the tongue, I write on the outside towards the back upper outside heel area) the date I start using because I know that, with my regimen and distances, about how many months/miles I can put on a pair of shoes.
And, I use GLIDE anti-friction/anti-chafe stick on my feet to prevent blisters, especially on the LONG distances.

You'll probably have sore muscles at first . . . keep on keeping on!!!
Like I said, come on over!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  09:57:15 AM  Show Profile
I run about three times a week and usually walk every day. As far as shoes go I like Nike becaus they fit my feet the best so shoes are a personal choice just buy them from somewhere reputable that can give you info. If you go online you will find lots of great sites for how to start a running or walking program. Magazines like Chatelaine and Family Circle and Good Housekeeping all have links on their websites for programs. Yes you will feel muscles you didn't know you had but stick with it and it is worth it.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Ingrid! I will check out the shoes and the walking/running programs.

CJ, thanks! You know I have not walked in ages and took my dog out for a walk the other day. I went about 2 miles and could have picked up the pace and gone longer but Tirzah was pooped on the way home :) I am afraid that I would hold you back! I have lost weight but am still out of shape :) Maybe after my Mom leaves :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile
I run but I started out walking.
I walked for at least six months before I started to run. I ran as a teenager but it took me some time to back into it.

Then, to begin running--I walked about 1/2 mile, ran about 1/4 mile, then walked about 1/4 mile, then ran 1/2 mile....as much as I felt I could do.

Gradually, I started walking 1/4 mile, running about a mile, then walking another 1/4-1/2, then running another 1/2-1 mile...again, about as much as I felt I could.

Now, whenever I run, I walk at least 1/4-1/2 mile to warm up and another 1/4-1/2 mile to warm down at the end.
The warm-down is very important. I am told that it is as important as the warm-up.

Nowadays, I run about 3 miles, about 3-5 times per week. Last year I was at 4 miles, 4-6 times per week but I found myself giving up and totally slacking last winter--so I kicked it back to 3 miles, about 3-4 times per week and it seems manageable. Some days its easy, some days its hard.

I also do Pilates. I can't suggest Pilates strongly enough for anyone who likes to run. Core strength that is gained in Pilates helps to keep your back in alignment and also helps you get and keep your legs working toward that same purpose. It's hard to explain but I can tell you that it really works. Over the past two years (since doing Pilates faithfully) I have not suffered any injuries (even though I have some bad curvature of the spine and a crooked ankle) and, between my last doctor visit in 2009 and a recent one this year, I have "grown" an inch, that is, I am as tall as I was three decades ago.

I love learning these new things. I think CJ gave great advice: keep on keeping on!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  7:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen.

I want to get used to walking first (walked 2 miles today :)) and then after a while I want to try running. I have some hip, back injuries and broke a foot a couple of years ago so I want to see how the stress is on my body walking first, but really want to try running when it's time :) Thanks so much for your advice!

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 10 2011 7:13:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Does anyone run? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page