Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fennel Next Topic  

Thistlewoodmanor
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Deb
Geneva IA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Thistlewoodmanor a Yahoo! Message
I have some beautiful fennel plants growing in my herb garden, but I'm not sure how to use them. Do I use the leaves? Seeds? Or do I have to dig them up and use the bulb?

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~annavon431/

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  6:12:53 PM  Show Profile
The tag on the fennel I bought this year says you can use the leaves and seeds to flavor stuff and the root to cook and eat like a vegetable. I've cooked with the root buying it at the store but the leaves and seeds will be a new experience for me.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile
I have used the seeds to make fennel seed tea when my daughter had colic years ago, worked like a charm. I have used the seeds in recipes also.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  7:08:21 PM  Show Profile
I tried to grow fennel in my garden last year, but our resident wild rabbit got to it first. Ignored all of the other herbs and vegetables around it and just *neatly* dug up the fennel...devoured it. No trace. The day after I planted it. Ah well...

I do adore fennel though and buy it from the Co-op almost weekly. I use the root either cooked or raw (see the "summer cooking" thread for a great fennel recipe!). I tend to throw some of the stalk into my cooking too, since it looks and smells just like the root end. I haven't used the feathery leaves though.

Have fun eating your fennel, Deb!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi all. I love fennel and use it all the time..the entire thing.. I use the root like everyone else..cooked veggie..has a licorice kind of flavor and I love the feathery leaves too. My favorite is to mix them with boiled potatoes, which right now are coming into new potato season. Yum! I do a summer veggie medley too with squash, tomato, carrots, fennel bulb stir fried in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil salt and pepper... I season with the fennel leaves.. delicious! You can serve it plain or with rice.. really, go to town and try it with all your favorite things for a little boost..It is such a gorgeous plant!

Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Thistlewoodmanor
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Deb
Geneva IA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  09:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Thistlewoodmanor a Yahoo! Message
thanks, sounds yummy! I planted this fennel last year and it didn't do much; but came back with a vengence! I hope to have an even bigger patch next year; I love how it smells.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile
So the fennel spreads pretty quickly? I hope so. I just got one little plant that I'm putting in a border in front of our house. I was inspired by another thread to make the front garden be a little cottagey and include some edibles in it.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fennel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page