Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 cleaning/disinfecting basement walls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic cleaning/disinfecting basement walls Next Topic  

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile
what can I use to clean my basement walls, they are painted, I am not worried about damaging the paint as they were painted several years ago and I may get ambitious enough after I complete a major cleanout to repaint, we have lived here almost 15 yrs and I am getting rid of everything that has been down there since we moved in, if we haven't used it in the last several years we obviously don't need it!
what else have you used besides bleach, there are a few spots that have some mildew growing (where the air doesn't circulate well) going to prevent that with some fans. thanks, Pam

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  06:47:34 AM  Show Profile
Pammy~ I don't know about the cleaning part - but when you piant to prevent the mildew use Killz paint.

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile
We had almost a foot of sewer back up in our basement during the floods here last July. (ICK!!) To disinfect, bleach doesn't really kill everything. We used a hospital grade disinfectant called Sanistat or SaniBac on the surfaces that got touched by the ick water. Everything got washed and scrubbed with Dirtex (got it at the hardware store) and I was able to prime and repaint with LOTS of success on both previously painted concrete block and bare block. Happier now than I was before...

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:34:45 AM  Show Profile
thank you ladies! Pam
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
The minute bleach comes in contact with mold, the mold goes into self defense mode. It dies almost immediately, but releases all its spores at once, and they feed off the starch in bleach, which increases your problem in the long run. If you don't get the hospital grade cleaners, use hot water and an oxygen cleaner. The Killz is a MUST DO as your primer. Anything you miss will be sealed in before you paint. Good luck, and I hope the basement turns out wonderfully!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic cleaning/disinfecting basement walls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page