New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mini- water bath canner Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  5:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I am sick of my tiny jars of jam (4, 6, 8 oz) which I use as gifts at the holidays dropping out of my huge 21 qt. canner, plus you have to heat ALL that water. I just order a mini-water bath canner from http://www.canningpantry.com/index.html and can't wait for it to come. Anyone else have a mini- water bath canner?

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Mollie - has it arrived yet? I was interested to know how you like it - I've seen them, but never used one. It IS a pain to have the smaller jars dropping out and jiggling all over a big canner...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile
I just use a 4 qt stock pot...this one looks cute! I put a dish cloth on the bottom (no rack) and that works for the small jars too. I am anxious to see how it works.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  05:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I wish someone would make a mini jar rack for the large canner. Maybe even a double decker?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
That IS a good idea!!
When I can pints or smaller I use a folded towel instead of a rack...but that won't work unless you have enough jars to have them not fall over when it boils..you have to do a full canner load is I guess what I am saying. A rack would sure be nice!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 16 2006 08:00:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  11:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I never "can" my jam, I just use the "hot lid" method...ladling the cooked jam into sterilized jars, tightening the lid and rings, and turning it upside down for 5 minutes.

It almost always seals, as well as the other method sucess rate wise. You gals should try it!
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  03:30:39 AM  Show Profile
My Mom didn't always water bath either, but the boiling water makes me feel like I've killed the last of the harmful bacteria that may be present when I can. Just the Infection Control nurse in me!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mini- water bath canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page