New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickle/cucumber question Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  08:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I wasn't paying attention and my older daughter planted the cucumbers this year. These cucumbers are HUGE, and we have LOTS. She is dying to make/can dill pickles. How can I make pickles with these monsters?? What to do with them?? I have always used smaller pickling cucumbers before. I don't want to disappoint her, HELP???

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Cut 'em up and go for it! Really - I'm not sure, but I know that I've seen some huge deli dill pickles - and they're good!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  11:26:36 AM  Show Profile
You could make the refridgerator pickles, just peel and slice the pickles, add white vinegar to a quart jar of water, some salt and pepper... they are so good. I will post the recipe soon.
It takes alot of pickles to stuff the jars too!

Or you could do like my neighbors do with too much zuccini, just drop them off on peoples porches, or in unlocked cars, or hang them in shopping bags over the fence, etc.... around here, in August, zuccini is falling from the sky!
Kate
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Kate! Do you know how much fun my kids (& I) could have doing zucchini "drive bys"!? I know what we will be doing with all our extra produce! LOL
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile
If they're really big you could make relish.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
katiedid i cant wait to see the recipe for the refridgerator pickles i have SOOOO many cucumbers!!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Mollie,

You can also use up extra cukes by pretending they are potato chips - slice as thin as possible but thick enough for them to hold dip - then serve platefuls (really) with assorted ranch, onion, cheese spread, plain mayo (yuk) or cottage cheese, etc. Maybe even yogurt or that wonderful but smelly greek white sauce used for gyros and souvlaki.

It's amazing how fast they disappear that way.

We also make Icebox pickles, slice the cukes and put in containers with white vinegar, water and sliced onions, plus some ice cubes. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving and these will last for days in the fridge.

Enjoy!

Jo
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickle/cucumber question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page