rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  08:48:26 AM  Show Profile
I want to buy a good pressure cooker. Does anyone have any ideas on brands, types, etc? Thanks!

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile
YOu mean cooker or canner???? I have opinions on pressure canners.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile
If it is a cooker, not a canner, I have some experience with these. I always buy stainless steel. I have gotten them from the thrift store and the flea market. Over the years, I have always been able to get replacement parts as needed for the ones I bought used, as the smaller parts wore out over time. I have a new one and a used on right now. My first-ever brand new one is one I have now. It is from Fagor brand, and it has some safety features my older Presto does not have. It has a kind of a pressure relase system to let the steam out, and it has a lid lock system to where you cannot open the lid without the steam being released AND the safety lock being released, by you. I got it at Ross ( like a TJ Maxx, we did not have these in my hometown, not sure if they are everywhere but by now, I'm sure they are, lol!). Anyway, it was about $30 at Ross and it came with a cooking manual and a recipe book. I acutally like my old Presto thrift store one at least as much, though, maybe more. I needed two at a certain stage of career/ family life but right now, I mostly use one at a time, lol.
The older one has the kind of " rocking steaming pressure thingy" that can be taken on or off for cleaning. The newer one has that component built right into the lid. I just keep the removable one in one place so I know where it is.
I hope this is helpful. I have lost 2 pressure cookers in housemate or break- up situations in my youth, but I have never had a pressure cooker totally fall apart on me. Again, they sell all the replacement parts for the smaller hardware, etc.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  1:08:36 PM  Show Profile
I have a very old Model 30 from Presto. It is a pressure cooker and I use it to make soups in a hurry. I also have a very large pressure canner that is also a Presto. I like both of them for different reasons.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  1:13:33 PM  Show Profile
My pressure cookers are both Presto brand as well. I have a 4 qt and a 6 qt, but my pressure canner is a Mirro with the weight. I love it. I don't like the ones with the guage.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! That gives me a little information to go on since I have never bought a pressure cooker before. BTW...I did mean pressure cooker. ;-)

Thanks again!

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  09:36:50 AM  Show Profile
So, there's a difference between a canner and a cooker? Do I need a pressure canner or can I just use a regular old canning pot?

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:11:01 AM  Show Profile
YOu can use a big old canning pot for water bath canning (tomatoes, fruits and like that) but for low acid things...veggies, soups, meats and like that..you NEED a pressure canner for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile
I believe if you go to Presto.com you can find all the necessary accessories to go with your canner/cooker. The only thing I don't like about mine is cleaning up after I use it!

Betty ini Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Presto is the best, My great grandmother and grandmother swore by them. I have my great grandmothers Presto pressure cooker.
It's old and it works great.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Cookers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page