Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, speaking of jelly, well, jam, I've been up to my elbows in strawberries and so I posted my jam results at the blog. Photo instructions for anybody who's never made strawberry jam too. Had some this morning on homemade toast! Yummy. I think I have a spiritual connection with strawberries. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey I need help with my strawberries, they just aren't thriving in fact, I have to fight tooth and nail to keep them hanging on to life by a string.......I don't know what I am doing wrong. *sigh*

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Have you got them in good sun? Also, your dirt needs to drain really well. Ours is very sandy so it drains great but isn't very healthy, so we have added peat moss, manure and mulch. I mulch the rows of berries to hold moisture in and to keep the roots cool. Also, I use 13-13-13 fertilizer on them, side dressing about once a month if we've had a lot of rain. Since we haven't, I've only fertilized once. You have to be careful about fertilizer because you'll get tons of growth in the leaves but no effort toward berries. Finally, I move the shoots over to another row, put them under dirt until they root and then cut the vine part, starting new plants. Those plants then go through one growing season not allowed to have strawberries. In other words, all of the flowers get pinched off. The next year, the strawberries will be really nice and big. Hope that helps.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  1:19:23 PM  Show Profile
They get plenty of sun, and our soil is all sand as well (we live in Kansas prairie lol). I have a feeling it may be the wind beating them up really bad. They haven't been fertilized though maybe that's what they need. We don't get rain much (again kansas prairie, not much rain around here, usually drought). I think the roots may not be very cool though. I did add straw a while back though. But, they always seem to need so much more water! I think I need to get a soaker hose, cause I can't even miss one day of watering, if I miss even one day then they look horrid and that's what has killed some of them, just literally only missing one day of water! Maybe I need manurer as well.......hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  1:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Heather, we put soaker hoses snaking between each row and then covered those with mulch, putting the mulch up close to the plants. That holds the water down and helps protect the plants against the wind (we ARE Oklahoma, ya know - "where the wind comes sweeping down the plain"! - singing here) Adding manure and peat moss helps too because it makes a more loamy soil. You can work that in between the rows before putting in mulch. When we just tried watering with a hose, our plants did not do well. We water at night and actually have a timer on the whole setup that goes off at 11 pm and waters until 2 am unless, like today, we get rain. Weeding is a pain because it has to be done by hand. That's just the nature of the strawberry bed.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:12:46 PM  Show Profile
lol I don't have any weeds thankfully. Just the pain of watering. I think I have to invest in soaker hose! UHG! We are 15 minutes from the OK boarder. lol haha The hose watering doesn't even hardly work some days cause I get more wet then the plants (wind! lol haha). Especially at night, I try to water in the evenings, but as you know that's when the wind gets even stronger. But, yes we too got rain today, but can't count on rain very often. We don't get it much.

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile
I just finished with Blackberry jelly, 20 1/2 pints,are cooling on the counter. Yesterday I made 13 1/2 pints of plum.

My 4 year old granddaugher helped today. It was so much fun and as my mother would say "we were making memories". Although, I couldn't convince her it was jelly and not jello we were making, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Heather, looks like you are directly north of us so yes, we are sisters-of-the-wind! :-) Sometimes I do get very tired of it.

Wow, Tina, you HAVE been busy. Our blackberries aren't quite ready yet. Can't wait.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,

That JAMMIN' on your blog with photos is just AWESOME. Thanks a bundle of hugs for sharing this with Farmgirls like me who really new to making jelly!

Thanks for the photos too on the water bath!

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile
I've been getting really excited reading about jellies and jams and was wondering at the same time about substituting SPLENDA for the sugar.

Here's what I found out.....

If you are diabetic, sugar-restricted or have other reasons to avoid refined sugars, you can make sugar-free jam using natural sweeteners (honey, fruit juice, fruit juice concentrate, etc.) or Splenda or Stevia instead of sugar; but only if you use one of the following:

Sure Jell Fruit-Jell No-Sugar needed pectin (in the pink boxes),
Ball / Jarden No-Sugar needed pectin or
Pomona Universal Pectin.

Just thought to share this with any of my Farmgirl Sisters who might be on a sugar-restricted diet and want to keep the sugars as low as possible.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  6:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Teresita, thanks! And yep, one of those runs that I did was with the Ball No-Sugar needed pectin for my husband who has had to cut back on sugar. Thank you for listing those!
I sent you an email about the canner.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Also if you do "butters" they naturally call for less sugar. The only thing with using splenda and such is you have to know biology a little bit, sugar is a preservative, and splenda is not. So you have to be careful in the canning and such to not get mold early on. I haven't tried the recipes yet but I do have a book from JoAnna Lund, that is for sugar free canning. Also I bought a canning book from Amazon that doesn't use splenda, but mainly uses apples/juice to sweeten with.

I also though want to say sugar is not a enemy of diabetics, it's over all carbs, most "butters" don't have that many carbs. Most are about 35 calories and 6 to 7 gms of carbs per a tablespoon, a tablespoon usually easily will spread over two slices of toast. And that's for ones "with" sugar and not cut back at all.

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,

Thanks for the email. I'll go check for that right now!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  08:18:08 AM  Show Profile
It's very inspiring here with all of the great Farmgirl posts and certainly has gotten me excited to finally start making some jelly and jam this summer.

So I thought I would go looking for beginner help as I am really a newbie to the Sweet World of making homemade jellies and jams.

Here's something I thought would be great for any other Farmgirls who are thinking about getting started this summertime too.....

http://www.freshpreserving.com/

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile
As an honest-to-goodness NEWBIE to making jellies and jams, I thought I should tap into some tips so I don't get myself into all the little mistakes and not have my jellies and jams turn out right along with just what I might need in my summertime journey ahead into making jellies and jams.....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1629/

I figured some of my Farmgirl Sisters might also enjoy the tips too!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  5:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Teresita, I love Dave's Garden. I've even used it answering county extension questions, of course, with extension info to back up! Great info.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  4:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judith

As you can see I'm getting very-very excited ...... or should I say "Berry-Berry Excited to make some jellies and jams.

I went off today to Ace Hardware and got my Home canner and also the materials for starting out with No-cook freezer jam as a good intro.

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  4:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am ready to start out with no-cook Freezer Jams first off.

Thought some of our Farmgirls here might enjoy this really easy and delightful video presentation from BALL on making your own No-Cook Freezer Jams.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/step_by_step_video_demo/36.php

Being a NEWBIE to making jams and jellies..... I just love everything to be STEP-BY-STEP and of course all the great tips from our Farmgirls here too!

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  05:14:43 AM  Show Profile
WOO HOO! My favorite time of year to do my favorite activity in the kitchen!!!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  5:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Just finished 10 4oz jars violet and 11 4oz jars dandeline jelly with 12 yr. old gdaughter doing most of the work. Yay, Elizabeth! Will post a pic tomorrow.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Here is Elizabeth Iris's jelly. We had a great time together! Also, couldn't resist including a few of our Virginia Blue Bells. (The woods are full of them)(I wonder if they would make jelly...hmmm)

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile
So beautiful!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  05:33:03 AM  Show Profile
How pretty!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  06:00:41 AM  Show Profile
I made my first batch of violet jelly over the weekend. I am thrilled! This will definitely be a new annual tradition. Only thing is, it didn't gel perfectly. I think I might try the powdered pectin next time. I have so so luck with the liquid kind.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:52:04 AM  Show Profile
I noticed a TON of violets in the backyard (okay, we haven't mowed our backyard yet because I have been picking dandelions for jelly!) Then yesterday I noticed the violets! I remembered seeing posts about violet jelly and my question is this: when you pick the violet and go to prepare them to steep do you use the whole head or do you just pick the petals off? I've never made Dandelion or Violet jelly so this is my first time.
Mary, I am going to try out liquid pectin for the first time ever this week with dandelion jelly. I'm a little nervous trying out something doubly new (pectin AND dandelion jelly) especially since I've always had great luck with regular pectin.

One last question: When is the best time to pick the violets? Morning, afternoon? Is there a best time to pick or can you pick them anytime? Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Let The Jelly Makin Begin!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page