natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile
I've begun my jelly makin for this year. And just in time I might add.

We are down to 1 jar of violet and 1 jar of rose jelly.

I have a gallon of water soakin my first batch of violets on the kitchen table right now! Yea!

I will also be makin dandilion this year. A first for us.

I am gonna take a shot at lemon as well since I had to have the zest for some of my easter bakin and now have 2 zestless lemons and 1 whole lemon sittin in my kitchen.

What jellies are you Ladies plannin for this year?

My list varies dependin on what I can locate for free.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:34:08 AM  Show Profile
I am going to make some hot pepper jelly! It is delicious over cream cheese with crackers!!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile
I put up 25 jars of Violet jelly, and I'm done until wild brambles come in July. I love to make it, but working full time, and all the time/effort it takes to keep up with supply and demand gets me tired after a while! On the weekends, I like to do other things :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Just took a walk through the yard. Violets are just starting to bloom today. Yay! So, it won't be long and I will try that. Also, plan to try dandelion and mimosa. I've had hot pepper jelly before on cream cheese. Very tasty.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile
We love hot pepper jelly with cream cheese on crackers, Judith! If I had more time, I'd certainly make more stuff, but as it stands, I do it to make me happy, and give to other folks as gifts, not for survival, so when I feel stressed about canning jelly, that's no good!

Would love to have your recipe for Mimosa, though I don't think we have any of those nearby. Maybe some day!

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:26:11 PM  Show Profile
This is the year for my crab apples to really be loaded down with fruit, so I hope to make crab apple jelly this year. I would love to see a recipe for rose and dandelion jelly! Anyone?

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I'm doing jam today. The strawberries are a-comin' in and we are almost out of jam. Have 10 8 oz jars in the waterbath canner as we speak! It is soooo pretty with that ruby red color. Like a row of jewels. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:28:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about the rose, but the dandelion jelly is pretty much like the violet. 2 cups of petals, steeped in 2 cups boiling water for up to 24 hours. 1/4 cup finely strained fresh lemon juice, 4 cups sugar, 1 packet liquid pectin, water bath can for 10 mins.

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Last week I made raspberry wine jelly. Sat and today we picked blackberry and mulberrys. We discovered a Mulberry tree when picking blackberrys so I will be making jelly with those soon. And then with anything else I can get free.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile
That rasberry wine jelly sounds wonderful, Tina. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  2:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Rose jelly is made just like violet and dandilion. It's such a beautiful color. I have access to red roses so the color is like rubys!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile
We make our wine but any wine will work ( I have used Choc. Port. and Peach wine) When the wine is 3-4 years old I take any that is left and make wine. My mother and her brother love all of the wine jelly I make. For every 4 cups of wine I use 6 cups of sugar and 2 pkgs of liquid pectin. I heat the wine just enough to melt the sugar. (Do not let the wine come to a boil you will get a bitter taste due to the tannins in the wine.Add the liquid pectin and heat to just before boiling, you will see small bubbles begin to form on the bottom of the pot. Pour in jars and process. Takes a bout 45 mins from beginning to end. Super simple!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  8:25:15 PM  Show Profile
I have 15 jelly jars of violet jelly coolin on the table.

Tomorrow will bring about 25 more violet and about 20 or so lemon.

I'm hopin to have a full pantry this year. I need to have enough to carry us all year and be prepared for christmas. I think I'm pretty close with what I have planned.

I'm makin up a log book of sorts to track how many jars I make and how far they go. I'm hopin to kinda perfect my yearly output of sugar and pectin. It can get pretty expensive if you way over shoot the mark, and very disappointing if you run out too soon.

Do you Ladies have a method for figurin what you will need?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:01:01 PM  Show Profile
I make basil jelly the same way you make violet jelly. Just bruise the leaves a little before you add the boiling water. After steeping for an hour strain through a fine jelly cloth or a coffee filter for a really clear jelly. We love it with roasted chicken. We use it like you use mint jelly with lamb. It is also good with cream cheese and crackers or to baste over baked chicken as it is cooking.
Has anyone added herbs to their wine jelly and strained them out before canning? I have an urge to try a merlot wine with rosemary. I think it would be a good combo. Any ideas?
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:47:42 PM  Show Profile
ok...who has the biscuits?or maybe scones or toast or...my mouth is watering!! All sound so good.. I don't have wild anything to make jelly..i have to grow it if I want it.. I always wondered about the violet jam..sounds good. Because I have lavender, I make everything lavender...oh ya,, and banana blueberry jam.. I made a batch and it didn't set up.. So now I have icecream topping..

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:53:34 PM  Show Profile
This post makes me wish I could start on some jelly making but I live in Ohio and it is not going to happen anytime soon !
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  06:45:57 AM  Show Profile
I am making corn cob jelly this year. I hope it turns out good. My grandmother use to make it and I loved it.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Keleen
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Keleen
North Augusta SC
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  08:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Does anybody have a recipe for diabetic strawberry freezer jam? I do not want to use artificial sweeteners such as Equal or Splenda.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Well, contrary to popular belief diabetics can eat sugar in limited amounts. I would just make a "fruit butter" as they tend to have less sugar, and more juice added to them, and are generally about half the calories naturally to jam and jellies. At least that's what I do. I'm a diabetic, and my A1C stays around 5. (give or take a tenth of a point) Most fruit butters are between 15 and 35 calories a tablespoon (with sugar!) and only around 3 to 7 carbs. I use a measuring spoon to measure out the ones that are closer to 35 calories and keep it at a strict one tablespoon serving. For ones closer to the 15 calories and 3 carbs (pumpkin butter & apple butter for instance) I may splurge and have closer to 2 tablespoons. It's total carbs that counts with diabetes more then sugar versus no sugar. Many sugar free items can contain a ton of carbs due to other things they add! Sugar alone really doesn't have that many carbs and calories per a spoon, it's all about serving size and making sure you stick to it! And not go overboard on how much you use. Couple a fruit butter with a 100 percent whole grain bread, and other higher fiber, lower carb choices and you shouldn't have much problems with the tiny amount of "sugar" per a serving you are getting. My favorite fruit butters are apple and cherry. I try to get a LOT of cherry butter as it's my absolute favorite of the fruit butters (I LOVE LOVE LOVE pumpkin butter too, but that's a veggie! lol haha). But, I have never made strawberry butter, that's what I am going to try this summer, I am hoping it comes out yummy!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile
oh and there is a woman in the Ozarks who makes jams and jellies sugar free that are really really good, I would love to have her recipe, it's no artificial sweeteners, it's mainly jelly though with a little bit of fruit. She uses white grape juice as her sweetener, most her jellies/jams are around 15 to 30 calories. The cherry is closer to 15 calories. It's my favorite of hers. She puts whole cherries in it. They are sold in the local stores in Arkansas and Mo, walmart almost always has them, but so does some of the other local stores, but they always go fast especially the cherry one! lol haha So you have to be there like on delivery day to get the cherry one! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile
I have 28 jars of lemon jam sittin on my table coolin. I hope it sets up. I tasted a bit of it and it's pretty good. I've never made it before so I'm not too sure of the consistancy.

I have violet water and sugar heatin on the stove. Once it is dissolved I'll add the lemon juice and get it boilin for the pectin.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile
I said last year was the "Year of the Jelly" because I made soooo much!! However, I have sold a lot of it, and the Farmer's Market is coming up....so hummmmm....maybe I will reconsider?!! I have never heard of some of these jellies..like the 'Rose Jelly'...sounds like I need to try this one! And Lemon?? I have to see about that as well.... I did make "Canteloupe Preserves" last year, and they were very good!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile
oh Debbie I am growing cantaloupe please give me the recipe!

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  5:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Cantaloupe Preserves (or Spread, if you choose to blend)

5 Cups Cantaloupe (cubed)

4 Cups Sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 packet liquid fruit pectin

½ teaspoon butter or margarine

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, and simmer until fruit is clear. (Puree in a blender if you want a spread.) Ladle into prepared jars. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes 8 ½ pints

This is a good way to use up extra cantaloupe. I would be sure the cantaloupe is ripe or even a tad over ripe....works best.

Edited by - DebbieSue on Apr 26 2011 5:25:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  8:10:01 PM  Show Profile
I have a total of 41 jars of violet jelly and 28 jars of lemon jam! YEA!!!

The lemon still doesn't seem to be settin up, but I was told to let it set a few days and then check it. I have had some of my rootbeer jelly take as much as a week before it set up.

I'm still hopin for it to set up. If the weather breaks tomorrow afternoon I'll get some dandilions picked and make a few jars of that!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:05:45 AM  Show Profile
I want to know how to make Lemon Jelly...!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Let The Jelly Makin Begin!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page