Author Try This: Previous Topic Natural Rodent Control? Next Topic  

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
I was putting away Easter decorations when I found a huge amount of mouse droppings in the storage closet in the garage. Given we only moved in the first part of March, this little guy has been busy!

Since I prefer not to use chemicals, any thoughts on how to get him to re-locate? I sprinkled the entire closet with peppermint essential oil, thinking the strong smell might discourage "critters."

Thanks,

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net

patzee
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Patricia
Halifax N.S.
Canada
6 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paula: I agree that natural methods are better than chemical warfare. I know plugging up all the possible points of entry are probably not practical, but it might discourage them. Mixing plasticene with bits of steel wool sure slows them down. Do you have a cat? You must keep all possible food sources secure. This means metal boxes or glass containers, as the little critters will chew through paper, cloth and even plastic. You can get live traps, if you are willing to re-locate your tenants. Good luck.

Farmgirl-at-heart,joyful, artistic, retired pre-school teacher seeks live-in job assisting family with kids, seniors and/or chores. Experienced with goats, horses and gardening. Air quality of utmost importance. Good driver, excellent references.
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile
There's this stuff that's been featured in a couple of the past issues in the magazine, I just keep forgetting to look it up for you. It's called "Fresh Cab" -- it's just a little scent pouch that repels rodents (I guess they don't like the smell.) The company that makes them is called Crane Creek Gardens. Their website is http://cranecreekgardens.com/. They also make air-freshening "Prairie Aire" pouches -- I quite like the "Sweet Pea & Ivy" scent.

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi all farmgirls,

I don't know if this will work on the little mousie problems, but it works for ants and similar creepy crawlers and bugs - orange peelings!

Just scatter the orange peels around where the bugs seem to be coming in, or where you see them crawling (counters, floors, doorways, etc.

Works best when the orange oil is fresh on the peel, when they start to dry out you need to eat more oranges!

Cecelia
Farmgirl at Heart

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  7:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*LOL* I could lend you my dog...she is a great rodent hunter! :) Other than that I don't know.

Good luck!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  01:36:47 AM  Show Profile
We think we have bats in our belfry...well, our attic. It isn't an easy access for us to get into, so we keep putting off going up to look.They sound too big to be mice, and tend only to make noise for a short time at nightfall and just before dawn. Anybody out there have/had a similar problem, and what did you do? I know bats are good to have around for insect control, but I have nightmares of the ceiling caving in under the weight of guano if we don't get them out...and then there's the rabies issue. Any helpful ideas appreciated.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  3:48:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls I am having a terrible problem with field mice in my older home. I am about to order Fresh Cab and will send a report.
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I too have a rodent hunting dog. He is a rather large Pomeranian. 20 pounds, big for his breed but what a great mouse and mole hunter. He is more effective than the cats all put together. He thinks it is great sport chasing them down and shaking them to death. What breed is your dog?
Sharon, We put up a bat house in a location on the side of the yurt where the bats were nesting and they moved in there. We have very tiny brown bats here and they only produce one ofspring per couple every other year so they are slow to get a large colony going. i do not know what type you have but you might try calling your county extension service to see what they recommend for the type that live where you are. They usually have plans available for building your own bat house as well as how high to place it and where in regards to weather conditions for your area. Bats are pretty wonderful when you learn about their habitat and what benefit they are for your property. You might need help evicting them and plugging up their entrance so have a bat house available for them to move into when you do and you might avoid having them moving back in.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  1:06:13 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Back at last with a report on Fresh Cab, the herbal pouches that are supposed to drive mice away.

I have had some luck with the Fresh Cab in that I am seeing fewer mice, but the problem has not been solved. Fresh Cab is rather expensive in my opinion at 4 pouches for about $20.00. The saleswoman said that I would need a pouch for each cupboard, corner etc where I had seen mice. EEEEEKKK. I estimated that this would cost about $200 which I could not afford. I decided to spend about $60 and give it a try. Perhaps I would have had better luck if I had purchased more.

I am at a crossroads as to what to do. My vet tells me that these little critters are extremely dangerous due to the many diseases that they can carry--hanta virus, lepto, bubonic plague and more... My dogs have caught several lately and chewed on them. The vet says that he is even seeing lepto in town now so he is encouraging me to put out old-fashioned traps. I have many outdoor barn cats that go under my house, but they don't seem to have any interest in "mousing" since I keep them so well-fed! Will keep you posted.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh Geez!! Our field is full of mice and voles and the cats are always catching them. I find at least one a day on the sidewalk. And I've even seen the cats eat them. I suppose I should call the vet.

Sorry guys - but when it comes to mice invading my space I'm not using gentle methods. I have plugged all the holes I can find but will be using bait under the house. That helped last winter.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I can't use bait because I have outdoor and indoor pets who can get under the house at this point. When I moved out here 2 years ago, my oldest dog got into some rodent bait and came very close to dying.

This is why I am going to use old-fashioned mouse traps, and I am also going to plug up holes but that will be a challenge in this old house!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  3:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I know this is really a serious issue, Connie, but for a little bit of levity and to relate, there's an article near the front cover of the October issue of Country Home from one who had just this same problem. Her name escapes me now, but she's a regular contributor who lives on a farm. You should look for it, just to brighten your day... and give you a little hope. By the way, her solution is the same as yours.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  5:32:19 PM  Show Profile
We recently found a new type of trap that is all plastic called "the better mouse trap" made by intruder inc.
There was a mouse in our 5th wheel and since there is no food stored there it decided to eat my home made soap that was on the counter in the bathroom and kitchen area. We decided to bait the trap with this delicacy since it seemed to like it so well and it got the bait off this trap! I was so determined to catch him that I decided to glue the soap down with peanut butter and we had him in about an hour! It kills the mouse instantly so no suffering. Just the disposal but I guess this is no worse than having to deal with the dead mice the dog leaves for us!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Tasha Tudor uses Ex Lax... i kid you not.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  09:46:56 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Clare I am going to find that article ASAP. I could use a little levity in this situation! One night a mouse even nested inside an old, old couch that I have. Forced it out but thought that pehaps I should write a children's book called "Mousie In the Couchie."

EX LAX?????? Tasha Tudor -- one of my favorite people--will have to look this one up.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  9:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I would not tell a lie about Tasha Tudor.Ex Lax. Honestly, it's in the book written about her garden I think. I will look it up tonight.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:35:36 AM  Show Profile
I love Tasha Tudors idea!!! I've also heard that moth balls will keep the mice out, has anyone tried this one? I just saw some lavender scented ones at Walmart yesterday too....

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art.....

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Clare I read the article standing in line at the grocery store. Rarely buy mags; just read them at the library or store!! Wow, it sounds like her problem is worse than mine. Thanks for pointing this out.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes it's all about perspective, isn't it Connie?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  3:24:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm into the natural ways of pest control, and I just read a new one to keep mice from coming into the house, oil of peppermint. Just soak some cotton balls with it and place them all around the house, I went out and got me some and am trying it, the house smells wonderful and it's cheap too, less than $5 at the health food store! We will see, if nothing else, the house smells yummy!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

jav002
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Ohio
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  2:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Due to some problems with some neighbors (house is very close to mine), I now have an infestation of mice. They still have stuff in that house and the landlord is trying to evict them, although they haven't been there in a couple months. I had to dispose of a stove once because a mouse got into the insulation and I didn't know it. When I put a roast in there, it stunk to high heaven. I bought new furniture and new top end appliances when I moved here a year ago and don't want mice to ruin all of these things. I am sick over this. I did call the landlord and I did go to the health department. Since February I have spent 70 dollars on moth balls and mouse bait, which I can ill afford right now. Unlike some of you, I wouldn't care if all of the rodents were dead. I hate mice in the house.
Go to Top of Page

heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  3:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Go to a Walmart near you if you don't mine killing them! There is a poison in the shape of a block that works really well (trust me on this!). My mother in law had a problem with mice & they are definately are decreasing in number! We were having a problem when we first moved into our home ( i opened a drawer to get out a movie & the thing was staring at me-ugh!!!) but the cats & the help of our local pest control solved the problem! Good luck!

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."-Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  9:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I agree with Sue on the oil of peppermint. Mice hate any mint smell, so I was going to suggest dried mint, spearmint and peppermint are the strongest smelling, scattered around. Of course, it depends where they are, you may not want dried herbs everywhere - a bit messy.
If you don't mind killing them, I have a 'recipe' from a friend. I can't say how humane it is to the mice though.
Mix equal parts of flour, icing sugar and plaster of paris and leave where the mice can find it. They eat the mixture due to the sugar, it sets in their stomach and kills them.
Hope this is of some help,
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Natural Rodent Control? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page