Author Try This: Previous Topic Ideas for Baby Food Jars? Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
We plan to make a lot of Jackson's food, but already have a few of those little glass baby food jars on the counter. I can't decide if I should hold onto them for some greater reuse purpose or just recycle them. Does anyone have a cool use for them?

Catherine

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile
Maybe trade them with someone who makes candles? Keep nails in them, paper clips etc? Storage containers for all those litttle bits of ffruit or veggies that you can freeze them and later make soup?

Hope these idears help.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  1:49:38 PM  Show Profile
I don't know where I saw this idea, but somewhere I saw that someone had glued or screwed the lids of baby food jars to the underside of cabinets, so you can still screw the bottles into the lids and they "hang" from the underside of a kitchen cupboard. Then you can store spices in them. It seemed like a really neat idea to me. I'd forgotten about it completely!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile
When you make his food freeze some in the jars for quick meals. I would cook up batches of food and freeze them for my daughter then when the family would eat something she couldn't eat I would pull out her meals from the freezer

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  8:10:16 PM  Show Profile
I've saved some to use outside as candle holders. They will hold a small votive perfectly. Also, you could put pretty colored tissue paper on the outside and then they would glow like stained glass.
Go to Top of Page

MissB
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

kate
pennsylvania
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile
baby food jars are a nice size for storing extra wall paint for touchups. when i am done painting a room, i pour a wee bit of paint in an empty baby food jar and store it in that room with a small paint brush.

whenever a touch-up is needed (repairing a nail hole, wall scratched when moving furniture, etc), i have the exact paint color handy, in a manageable sized jar, and a brush too!

my mom - who was forever repainting the rooms of our various houses - taught me that trick.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile
They come in real handy for lots of things! I love the paint idea..never used that one yet. What is nice too, that if you use them a few times you feel fine about throwing them out at that point! (or recycling)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Great for sorting buttons by color.

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas! I dig the storing herbs idea since I just dried a bunch in the dehydrator! Time to graduate from Co-op bulk plastic bags for my herbs and get some proper (baby food) jars for storage. I also love the candle holder idea...and the paint. A co-worker of mine used to do that, I forgot all about that one. And buttons...oh, you farmgirls are the best. I don't like to keep a lot of "stuff" around, but just knew that I didn't quite want to recycle them yet...

Thanks for the ideas!

Catherine

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Handy farmgirls (and farmboys) can use the same spice storing trick for nails, screws, and all those other little bits that collect on the workbench. I love the idea for spices!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  06:24:05 AM  Show Profile
one other neat trick for them is to turn them upside down glue tiny miniatures in the lid that are plastic and fill the jar with glitter and water for mini snow globes. you can also create small miniature floral arrangements under glass with them use the lid as the base and glue mini flowers and moss to the the lid and set a mini wood animal in there too if you like. something different and crafty for them.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  06:38:38 AM  Show Profile
And one other idea would once you have used all you think you can possibly use and you still have some setting around, check with your local school to see if the art teacher might need some. Two of our boys are art teachers and are always looking for things like this. They use them for paint leftovers and washing out brushes and various other things.

Would they work for starting seeds for the garden?

Something else to do or it may even be a great kid's project. One year for Christmas my SIL made us a Christmas decoration using baby food jars. I hope I can describe this well enough. She hot glued the jars together in the shape of a Christmas tree with 4 for the trunk. I really don't know how many it took, but it wasn't a big tree and I'm thinking you can make it whatever size you want. Then she filled each jar with some green garland. And here again, I'm sure you can do what you want and use other colors if you like. Then she punched or cut out a hole in each of the lids about the size of a nickel and put them back on the jars. Through the holes she pushed 2 or 3 lights for each jar from a strand of miniature lights. and left the cord dangle so it could be hung on the wall or set on a table and be plugged into a socket. I hope that is understandable. It was very cute. I would recommend an industrial strength glue or something that is permanent, because we did have to reglue some of the jars back together. The regular hot glue sticks just popped off the glass if it was bumped too hard. Cute idea, she just needed better glue.

If you like using the baby food jars, I'd hang onto them because it looks like most baby foods are going into plastic containers. As long as their lids are secure they look like they could be useful, too. They are more rectangular shaped and stackable. I bet there are even more uses for them since you wouldn't have to worry about glass breaking. You could put toddler sized snacks in them for travel or church.

I do like the spice/herb storage idea.

Have a most blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Jun 29 2006 06:39:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile
I use them for my salves that I make, perfect size!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  3:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that's a great idea too! You all are so creative!

I have already transferred all of my herbs and spices (some home-dried from the garden, some not) into the baby food jars. We just had a million little plastic bags from buying everything in bulk at the Co-op so this is a welcome organization for the kitchen. I don't have a proper spice rack yet, but have made little labels on the computer and lined them up alphabetically on the dining room buffet. It makes me want to cook just looking at them!

I just need a few more to complete my spices, but then will probably save some for the diorama idea or Christmas tree. How cute!

We're moving towards not having any baby food jars around anymore, as we're starting to make our own baby food tonight (sweet potatoes and rice cereal!). As with the cloth diapers vs. disposables, we'll keep some jars around for convenience and travelling though. What great craft ideas you all have!

Thanks!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  6:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't make jams , but couldn't they be used for small jars of jam, for gifts or samples or About for beads for thoses of you who do bead work.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  11:53:02 AM  Show Profile
If you decide to do the smowglobe idea... adding a little glycerine to the water helps suspend the "snow" a little longer for a nice effect.

I'm just getting my business started! No products available yet but you can view my site at www.willowtreecreek.com!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2006 :  1:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to willowtreecreek
your link should not have a n ! at the end of it. then it will work
I like the picture of the willow sort of Monet

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 30 2006 1:19:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Ideas for Baby Food Jars? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: