FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  08:00:16 AM  Show Profile
We are (happily) changing plans to have a nice Easter at our house, with my mom, so I want to make it lovely, but simple.

I'm making Spinach-Bacon rolls ups for an appetizer
and don't forget the hard boiled eggs!

For the entree
Thyme and Honey glazed baked organic (and local!) ham;
Grilled Asparagus;
Potato Gratin with Gouda and herbs (the potatoes organic, the gouda organic and local)
Mac and cheese (for Violet, who won't eat anything)
Rolls from a local bakery

My mom is making a chocolate cake for dessert.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:50:46 PM  Show Profile
That sounds great Jonni :)Thyme and honey go so well together and chocolate cake from Mom? Can't beat that! My Mom is visiting us from AZ :)

We are having:

~Apricot Glazed Ham
~Grilled Asparagus (:))
~Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping (This recipe seems to have made itself a holiday staple:))
~Honey-Pan Rolls
~Double Coconut Cake for dessert

I would love to hear what everyone else is having :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  06:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Grilled Asparagus in common! It's my favorite way to make it, Sharon! Really brings out the sweetness of the asparagus, and all you need is a little kosher salt and pepper and a brush of olive oil. PERFECTION!

I love that your sweet potatoes have become a holiday staple. I love them, too, but I decided that since I had that lovely Gouda from a local farm in the fridge, why not use that with something?, so the gratin won out.

Sharon, are you making your rolls? I thought about it, but I've so much on my plate with 7 days of rain predicted, I know I'm going to be cleaning up after the dogs, each and every day, trying to keep the "mud" down, so I committed to getting them from Servati's, a local bakery here in town since 1890. Sometimes you have to "admit" a weakness!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  10:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

The Gratin sounds so good! I am making rolls, probably the day before because we have church in the morning. You know if we had a decent bakery (not a grocery store one) I would cave in too :) I have been watching Larkrise to Candleford lately and one of the characters seems to have only 'one weakness' whether it be chocolates,flowers, etc :)

I'll post the recipe in case you or anybody would like to try them some time.

Have you tried Alton Brown's recipe for stove top Mac & Cheese? It's REALLY good!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 19 2011 10:05:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile
We are having a leg of lamb, broiled asparagus, a potato that I have yet to decide on, rosemary olive bread from a nearby bakery, salad, coconut cake and a strawberry shortcake. We usually have pickled eggs and kielbalsa for breakfast.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great! Coconut cake sounds wonderful, too :) I'm glad I'm not thinking about dessert though, this go round. I simply "over" think it because there are too many to choose from! I just asked mom to make her chocolate cake, though now I'm wondering if Carrot cake might not have been better...see what I mean?

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile
After days of heated debate we are having TURKEY!

Traditionally we always have a ham, but this year we are going for the big bird with all the trimmings including my sausage/cornbread stuffing, feather beds (hand-made potato rolls)and I am baking a couple of apple pies.

YUM...YUM!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile
OOOPS so sorry for the rather LARGE photo of the turkey--LOL Didn't mean to do that!!!

Mel
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  8:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Melody I love the turkey and the size.... Not sure what I am having because my oldest son and DIL will be doing the cooking and they told me not to bring anything because I do always the cooking. However, I might try Sharoon Honey Rolls that she posted on another thread and bring them with me just because... It willbe different not cooking but my son is a wonderful cook so I know it will be perfect. Have a Happy Happy Easter.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:30:39 AM  Show Profile
We have gluten free vegetarians ...so, after a 2PM egg hunt..in the snow..our supper will be potatoe quiche, grilled asparagus and fruit salad ala' FebruaryViolet and Oatmeal Brownies ala" CountryTeacher. Sounds easy and I can enjoy everyone.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile
We are going to have a nice Pork roast with orange glaze, sweet potatoes, asparagus,and a couple salads and homemade rolls. Oh..and of course deviled eggs. Even though my youngest kids are 14 they still like to dye eggs every year..and my hens are laying like crazy right now..so we will have alot of them to dye.
Happy Easter.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile
We are breaking all tradition and having homemade enchiladas, pinto beans, spanish rice, guacamole and probably cheese dip. Maybe we should add asparagus that seems to be the vegetable of the day.:)

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:06:33 AM  Show Profile
all those dinners sound great! we are going to have a maple/brown sugar glazed ham, scalloped potatoes----some with a little havarti-dill and some plain---got to keep everybody happy!:) i'm going to saute green beans and i'll also make a zucchini/carrot casserole that everyone always asks for. not sure about dessert, but i'm thinking maybe a small variety of lemon bars, symphony brownies, and ???
the dinner i'm inspired about, now if i can only inspire myself to clean this house!!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Everything DOES sound good! I like the idea of turkey, Melody. What was the heated debate? How widely split was the camp?

@Judith--that sounds like a gorgeous dinner. Perfect, in fact. I eat meat, now, but was a vegetarian for 10 years and I really don't "have" to have meat--your's is a meal I'd sit down to happily! I do hope you enjoy the fruit salad recipe because it's a keeper. You won't go back to the others!

@Grace, I'm so glad your son is cooking and that you don't have to worry yourself over food and taking care of anyone but your critters and you that day. Sit down and take a load off, sister!!

@Jenny--I love dying eggs and was so sad about "not" doing it a few years ago--I really loved that part of my childhood and well, guess I'm still a kid. Those were such wonderful memories, I'd like to keep them going. I'm glad your kids still see the wonder in it.

@Cathy--that's awesome! You can always make veggie enchiladas with asparagus!

@Sue--our meals sound almost alike. What are symphony brownies? Sounds like they'd be right up my husband's alley!!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  12:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow - great menus, girls! You're all making me hungry!

Okay - here's our plan:

Roasted leg of lamb
Baked Ham with cherry glaze
Roasted potatoes and carrots
Asparagus with lemon butter
7-layered salad
Baked pineapple
Pickled beets
Applesauce
Stuffed celery
Stuffed grape leaves
Deviled eggs
Homemade Artisan Bread Rolls
Strawberry-Banana Trifle for dessert and
Banana Trifle for those who can't have seeds

Goll-y, I'm already full just thinkin' about it! :)

Happy and blessed Easter, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome, Nini! I'm very happy that I get to cook this year--we usually just bring a dish to my sil's house, but it's nice to hear what everyone else is making!

Would love to have your recipe for baked pineapple!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  1:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Count me in the on baked pineapple recipe too!!! I love pineapple and would really8 appreciate a new way to serve it..

Thanks Jonni - I have not had a holiday off in some 18 years and so it sure will be different..

Jenny I with your kids I still love dyeing eggs but that is because I love dyeing all kinds of things. I have the blue/green layers so the color is already there but no one is saying we can't overdye...

Reminds me of the first East we had here - had our first bottle lamb in the kitchen and a house full of folks for dinner. As we sat down to a nice roasted leg of lamb I was with one hand feeding the lamb and trying to eat my dinner. I had to promise the guests that the lamb in the oven was in no way a Larkspur Funny Farm Lamb. Strange dinner but the start of many with a sweet on in the kitchen... Enjoy your dinners and families ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  02:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Sue, would love to hear about your zucchini/carrot casserole! We love both, and this sounds like a new dish for my kitchen, have both in the garden also!
Thanks and Happy Easter! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  05:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Oooh-this year I think I may try my hand at carrot salad. Chick fil-a's is SO yummy. :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  05:56:44 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to keep it simple this year. Honey baked Ham from the Honey Baked Ham Store. Deviled eggs. Macoroni Salad, Mustard Greens, Stuffed potatoes , rolls and Chocolate Devils food Trifle.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  06:18:08 AM  Show Profile
There's nothing wrong with simple, Dorinda--that way you can relax and enjoy the day--hope it's going to be sunny where you are!
Besides, how can you go wrong with ham and chocolate devils food trifle?

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, Can I have your Double Coconut cake recipe? Thanks.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Rabbit stew.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Edited by - Kevin on Apr 22 2011 10:22:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  12:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Awwwww.... Kevin!!! No chocolate eggs or jelly beans for you!!! LOL!!! You're too funny! My husband told my nephew the same thing! ;) Men!!! LOL!!!

Girls - I'll get you the pineapple bake recipe asap. It's my Mom's recipe and she'll be here tonight making it!

Have a blessed Easter everyone!

Hugs,

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  12:11:52 PM  Show Profile
gosh everyone is working so hard at this! and all sound yummo--we decided since i have so much homework and it's just the two of us-we are having ham sandwiches! michael makes a tremendous potato salad like a German but cold and we'll have some beans...not sure about dessert yet- i think it will be fun!!!! a picnic!!!!

would love the recipes mentioned above!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Kevin! Stinker!

Nini, can't wait for that pineapple recipe but will have to get it on Monday when I return to the office.

Penny, that sounds ideal. I love a picnic, and there's nothing better than a ham sammich! My husband's grandmother always made good German potato salad (or course, she also made Irish, too--her mother was Irish, her father German) so they were BOTH at every gathering :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's on your Easter Menu? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page