dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  7:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
I am having a HECK of a time finding transfer paper. I need to check JoAnn fabric, but the ladies at Hobby Lobby looked at me like I was nuts. I know you can buy it online.... but in stores I am not having any luck.

I sure would like to avoid my old lightbox trick if I can. They had t-shirt transfers, but I guess to me transfer paper is different. Can you gals help clarify this for me? I need to print out my badges and I also would like to understand this for future embroidery reference, as I really don't like using the lightbox if I can help it.

thanks so much! Meagan

Mamma to Ardyn Isabel (9-3-07) and Marek Owen (3-31-09)

An Original Farm Girl Transferred to a small town with marriage. 6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
You'll find us Blogging, Cloth Diapering, Breastfeeding, Sewing, Gardening, Crafting and Recycling.
www.adventuresineverydaylife.com

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  8:47:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure which thing you are looking for but there is paper that has color on it the is used with a tool like a pizza wheel that has a wheel that makes a dotted line on the fabric. You could use this to "trace" your badge onto another piece of fabric. Is this what you mean? It is usually in a package hanging on the wall with all the sewing notions. Maybe if you can find the wheel thing they can point you to the paper that goes with it.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  9:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I am not in the sisterhood, however I use a sulky transfer pencil, I seen JoAnn's sold some other kind of brand of transfer pencil. I bought my sulky at walmart before they stopped selling so much sewing stuff, but I've seen them at sew and vac stores as well. Then I use just plain old tracing paper from like walmart, target, etc their office/school supply type papers. And trace onto the tracing paper with the pencil. A lot of places sell the pens but the pens are more like markers, and it's very hard for me to control the flow and get a thin enough line with them. The ink kind of goes every where! The pencil gave me much more control. Hope that helps.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
interesting. I think the piece i am missing is the transfer paper. I bought a pencil once, aren't there like blue white and pink ones? Or is that for something else? I use disappearing and wash out markers sometimes, but I was reading on the directions that you could put transfer paper in your printer, print the badges out, and then transfer them onto your fabric, but when I thought deeper into that, I thought "but then the lines won't wash out!" and nothing makes me crankier than seeing a line behind embroidery. LOL.

So the wheel thing I have seen, but I guess I didn't know the transfer paper had color on it. Is it like carbon copy paper? Like duplicate checks? Listen to me. I guess with the wheel I never figured out how you could make the little lines and fine curved. I thought it was more for marking patterns out or something.

How is it that I have sewn for like 11 years without knowing exactly what all these options are? hehe. I do like when you buy an embroidery pattern (like from sublime stitches, which I adore) and iron on the pattern. you can get several irons from one pattern, and each one is lighter as the "ink" fades away.

Does this make any sense? Any more ideas?

An Original Farm Girl Transferred to a small town with marriage. 6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
You'll find us Blogging, Cloth Diapering, Breastfeeding, Sewing, Gardening, Crafting and Recycling.
Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
oooh look at this stuff?
http://www.berlinembroidery.com/prickandpounce.htm#washaway

okay, but this is what I think I am actually looking for. Might just have to order online?
http://www.sublimestitching.com/transfer_paper.html

But also she has rectangle embroidery "hoops" which I guess I should call frames. I HATE having to move a design around a bunch because of the round hoop on a square pattern. Whoot!

Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
although this option might be better...
http://www.sublimestitching.com/tracingpaper

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:31:35 PM  Show Profile
if you go the tracing route any paper will do it's the pen/pencil that you have to make sure is transfer type. And yes they come in different colors. I have to say I do not make thick lines like some pattern companies do, and when I trace my patterns I NEVER see the transfer pencil (ironed) line left. In fact, time really fades it on some of my fabric, on my towels they don't even need washing, as time seems to fade the iron transfer, on pillow case fabric though it about never comes out! lol (cause I placed it in the wrong place once and tried to wash it out and redo) but I still never see the lines under the thread. And I've done a lot of embroidery.

I also think all carbon paper would work not just hers. (although I like sublime).

You may also want to look at colonialpatterns.com

That being said, yes it's the same kind of carbon as your check duplicates. carbon, is carbon. It's just a pressure thing, and requires no ironing. I would think the beginning stage may be a bit messier then the transfer paper method, but it may have a better chance of washing out. But, I don't know, I've only done the transfer (iron on transfer) pen method.

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  04:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Meagan,
Hobby Lobby has some artist's transfer paper! I am surprised the employees there did not know it. It is in the artist's supply area, by the fine art pencils and such. I use it all the time and it wipes off easily.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile
my two cents.... I used actual carbon paper to trace something to paint over... it ran and showed through the paint! Won't ever do that again!

I found the iron on transfer pencils at Hancocks and JoAnns. You trace your design and then turn it over to transfer it to the fabric using an iron.

They do make actual fabric transfer paper, my only gripe is that it is an extra pieces of paper to wrangle while trying to trace.

Have you considered the trick of ironing on butcher paper then printing the design on your fabric? Depending on what type of embroidery the line might show, but if you printed it in colors, then it may not be an issue.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Good to know Angie, I have never used carbon for embroidery.

However, I have used "transfer" paper. It took FOREVER to get the pattern ironed on, and was kind of spotty, had to be careful that the whole pattern had transfered. I think it's too thick.

When I used tracing paper it was very quick (at least 5 times faster then the transfer paper!) to iron on. It takes about the same time as it does to do Aunt Martha patterns. Which seem to be printed on news print. Which is another option but may take the lightbox or window to see through unlike tracing paper.

But, I've heard good things about butcher paper too but have never tried it.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 16 2011 10:58:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  10:16:27 PM  Show Profile
With the wheel paper stuff you put your fabric down, place the paper color side down on the fabric, place a copy of your pattern face up on that then simply trace the pattern with a little pressure using a pencil. It needs to be on a firm surface. I have stapled the layers together so they don't slip around. Easy peasy and cheap.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  06:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Oooohhhh, I'm glad to have caught this thread because I've been to several craft stores trying to find the same transfer paper!!

I think submime stitching is probably the best bet, though I have yet to find a that mysterious kind of paper that I can just put in my printer and then go iron. It looks like there's always the matter of hand-tracing something.

If you want to explore further, Aimee Ray has an embroidery blog: Little Dear Tracks.

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  07:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I also once went to Joann's and they didn't know what I was talking about for Carbon transfer paper. Guess I couldn't really plan the employee, since they were younger than me and they probably stopped using it in schools.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE Aimee Ray Denise. I haven't found that mysterious paper either Denise, I know it exist though cause that has to be what people like PatternBee.com uses. But, then I think maybe it's just the ink. Cause you know Aunt Martha and other large iron on embroidery pattern companies just use like thin paper or newsprint and it works....so I don't know! I find the thin paper (like pattern paper) or tracing paper works best. But you know what I just got a idea, why not buy a roll of the paper from the drs exam table paper. I bet that would work good too! It's heavier then tracing paper but may be cheaper if you are going for cheap. But, truth be told I really like just plain old cheap tracing paper, it's thin enough I can easily trace through it (and believe me I was looking and looking for the magic printing stuff so I wouldn't have to trace, but tracing is easier then I had thought it would be!) and it irons on so easily from it!

Valerie, I live very close to one JoAnns and VERY VERY far from another one. The far one is much bigger then the close one though, as the far one is a SUPER Joann's! Well, I had a coupon and was wanting a Aimee Ray book, I asked them to go and check if it was there, calling from the close store, they said it wasn't. I don't even think they looked! Cause I went ahead and went out there later (about 3 days later) cause I ended up needing other things they had that mine didn't. I looked and it was there! Easy and as plain as day! Same for Michael's on the same book! Called them too and they said no didn't have it, at Michael's they even had their books in alphabetical order with the name tags on the shelves! and even had a name tag/price tag where the Aimee Ray book was and still said they didn't have it! I am SURE they didn't go look, other wise who can't look alphabetical order with the name tags right there! And see it plain as day! UHG! I don't even ask employees at these big shops any more. I just can't stand the big box stores any more. They hire any idiots. I could go on and on, such as yesterday I went to a parking lot set up plant nursery, and I was asking simple things about the vegetable plants to grown adults (not young teenagers) and they would just stand there with their mouths open and stammer and say they didn't know, IE is this tomato a hybrid or heirloom it is not tagged like the other kinds? Does this lavender grow well in our area of the country? These are things that GOOD nurseries a few years ago even taught their teen employees to be able to answer! YES, I can not stand how it has become. UHG! I am not that kind of person, if I work for some one then I give it my 100 percent and try to know all about what I am doing for myself primarily and then I am also happy to share that info with customers. But, really I like to know what I am selling, what I am working around, I like to be educated. I don't understand this trend of being happy to be uneducated, and just in ignorant bliss? Makes no sense to me. But, that's where we are now.

Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
I ended up ordering from Sublime, partially because i knew she had what I wanted, and partially because I have always been a happy customer.... oh yeah, and there was that part about her having a new camping pattern that I coveted, and the part about my addiction to pretty colored markers. AND the part about the square "hoop."

I didn't get back here to read all your responses until just now! I am so glad I posted this!

I JUST BROKE MY LEG!!! Passing the Time in a thigh to toe cast while the little ones destroy the house!

Meagan~ Mamma to Ardyn Isabel (9-3-07) and Marek Owen (3-31-09)
6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:25:49 PM  Show Profile
my house is being destroyed too! lol haha

Well, I am going to go look at that square hoop, it's been a while since I checked out sublime, sounds like she has added new stuff! I am going to buy some more things from her soon too. I just bought a bunch of Aimee Ray stuff last week! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Awe look what I found-
http://bigbgsd.blogspot.com/2010/10/ideas-on-transferring-patterns-to.html

BTW, I love this blog! I have learned so many new stitches from her!

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Amazon.com also has a lot of transfer paper and pens and pencils - I just ordered a bunch of it from them 'cause I couldn't find any of it at our Michael's or Hobby Lobby out where I live. Thankgoodness for Amazon.
The only way I can find designs and patterns, etc. are from sites on-line - free or for a small price. I'm just learning to do hand embroidery work, so I'm discovering what I need or want. Plus it's so easy and quick to order from Amazon or other places on-line instead of driving an hour to the nearest big city and finding that the craft stores don't have anything of what I need. Free shipping helps to cause as well.
Thank you for the sites you mentioned - will check them out. If any of you have other sites you use, please share - I would love to check them out.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile
I find the pencils easiest Annie, the pen you can't hesitiate at all when tracing cause it will blob the ink there. At least the pen I tried. It was like a marker with too much ink! The ink like poured out of the thing. No control at all. The pencil was so much easier. It is like a eye liner or lip liner pencil in it's a very soft "lead", not hard like a regular pencil.

Any way, you can collect a LOT of free patterns off the net, all over the place. Join some of the embroidery yahoogroups they have a lot in their files and send a lot. And then I used to get a lot off of blogs. And also flicker groups have a lot as well.

I like to buy Aunt Martha Patterns, and patterns from Pattern Bee best, I have also bought from another woman not pattern bee and liked hers well too, but I can't remember her site.

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  5:53:53 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is new to embroidery, Wild Olive is a good blog w/ tutorials.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Yup it's a wonderful blog, Maggie have you checked out the Big B one I posted earlier in this thread, she is going through a 100 stitches book (I ordered it from amazon cause of her blog!) and she shows a lot of unusual and neat stitches, she also sells patterns on etsy I would like sometime. I also try to follow others that Wild Olive has, like Feeling Stitchy (that's sublime's), and there is a lady here where I live with a blog too, Floresta I think is her name, she has a blog and and she restores old patterns and gives them free on her blog, and also on flicker, Florista's flicker group is full of gems. Used to have a LOT more before one of the big pattern companies that no longer even prints embroidery patterns made them take them down.

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  10:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Heather, I did check out the Big B blog that you posted, and it looks wonderful! I put it on "favorites" to refer back to later. Some of the other sites I have visited, and ordered some cute patterns from Sublime. I am just getting into embroidery again after many years of rarely doing it, and I love all the info that is available! Too bad the companies made them take the old patterns down! Seems kind of pointless if they no longer make a profit from them. Thanks, again, for the info! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:15:11 PM  Show Profile
I know it really made no sense. Oh well. But, I have more then I will probably ever use in my files now, yet I still collect! haha I just invested in two of Aimee Ray's books, and I really want the sublime books too! haha

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  2:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Heather, you can never have too many patterns or books about stitching, lol! I have been coveting the Aimee Ray and Sublime books! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  3:36:03 PM  Show Profile
They've been in my amazon cart for many moons! lol haha I finally took the dive in the pool with the Aimee Ray somehow forgot to add the Sublime from the wish list to the cart though! Hopefully will get to the library today and see if I can get them though!

And I know that's my philosophy on patterns and books too! lol In fact, I dream if I ever have enough money when I get my own home my bedroom will have bookcases that go from floor to ceiling along all of at least 2 walls, and it will hold all my stitching patterns and book, and cookbooks, etc. lol I visualize it often, it has white beadboard in the back, and pictures in picture frames scattered about, and a few little knick knacks here and there as well. Oh it's all in my head exactly how I want it! lol haha My favorite home dream! lol haha

BTW, I got the One Hundred Embroidery Stitches book today, funny it has a price tag on it-Woolworth's 75 cents.........I just paid 6 dollars for it! WOW that was a valuable investment! Forget stocks and bonds invest in embroidery books! lol haha They have newer ones but I wanted a vintage one first, I may try to locate a newer one to see if it is any different stitches and if I would like it as well. lol

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info ladies. Found a site that I downloaded patterns from - real cheap too. Will check out the other sites you mentioned - have already checked out Sublime and do have one book from Amiee Ray I got at Amazon. Oh yes, do have one book of Jenny Hart's from Sublime Stiching. Really fun book. I'm finding I'm getting the enthusiasim I got with knitting now for embrodery - it's becoming my new favorite thing to do. I'm finding it's actually more relaxing than knitting. But now, what do I do with all the yarm I have in my craft closet!!!!!! So glad I found all of you ladies who enjoy embrodery too - if I have questions I know where to go to get answers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Transfer Paper Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page