knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  07:50:46 AM  Show Profile
There's a wonderful book called "Romancing the Ordinary" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It's a daily read thru the year where she gets you to try new things,and introduces countless ways of pampering yourself (inexpensive ways at that!) as well as opening your mind to trying new things. She does mention pretty underthings at one point,BTW! I got my copy used and am doing my 2nd year with it (there are times when I forget to read it in the morning-like this morning ) Book suggestions,recipes,tips,all are in there and have helped me a lot. I'm getting a small scent collection together,am taking more care with my makeup and looking after my hands as in moisturizing and keeping them manicured-nightime pampering with a cuticle & nail salve by Burts Bees.
I think part of our problem deals with the fact we get so much focus when we're younger on looks,how to nab a man,fashion,that sort of thing & then when we hit middle age & later,the topic is dropped like a hot potato,and all at once we're lost because we have no guidelines on these things with slightly older bodies & faces,which of course have changed since we were 25. So we either keep dressing like we were 25 or knowing we can't do that anymore we let go and do nothing for lack of know how on our "new" faces & figures. Media doesn't help either- all the weather women on my fave news channel look like Barbie dolls and dress to the 9's.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  7:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! Reading all your comments makes me feel better already--I may not be a sexy young thing anymore but I can be a ravishing wise woman!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Well Cindy, that is so true. I am Wise but I feel like that is the compensation for getting old. Here's the thing. I had auburn hair as a kid. As I got older it got darker. Age 17 I decided God said I should have alburn hair and I began to die my hair red...for 40 years. no problem. So now I'm almost 60 and struggling with it and I don't even know what color my hair is anymore so I let it grow out. my best girlfriend says my hair is a nice salt and pepper and I shouldn't die it again. I look in the mirror and I see my mother and I wonder when this happened. MY 9yr old GD who has red hair is so upset when she sees my non-red hair that she crys and asks me to fix it. My husband thinks "all the guys want me when my hair is red and he feels lucky he's got me. SO NOW what?

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  08:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Joann you wear your hair as you like it. I haven't dyed mine in 3 years now,and I'm enjoying seeing the silver & white hair come in. Funny thing is,I recall my mom also wanted to let her hair grow out and my Dad & I wouldn't permit it. I think it was the fact it helped me to stay in denial that my mom was in fact,getting older. I regret now we were so stubborn-I wonder what she would've looked like with silver hair? So you stick to your tastes and they'll adjust. eventually.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  08:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Sherrie, but really mainly because I believe in the natural way cause I worry if that is healthy or not. I have had gray hairs since I was 18 years old. My husband married me at 25 years old, he doesn't seem to care! lol haha My grandma got a stripe of gray hair very early in life as well, she was always proud of it. So I remind myself of her as well. I think there is something special or striking about some people's hair with gray. However, I think the right cut and style have a lot to do with it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I find that it doesn't matter the size of women...being attractive has to do with your attitude and who you are. I've heard so many times "Why would that man cheat with THAT woman...his wife is so much prettier." Maybe it's because she laughed at his jokes, or smelled good...or who knows what.

Getting a few nice outfits that you like and wearing them is a good start. No matter your size, you feel good when you look good. Spritz a bit of perfume on and put a little makeup on...you'll feel great!

I'm only just realizing this about myself. When I dress and/or look like crap, I feel like crap. Even just a nice blouse can make me feel 100 times better. :)

Good luck to you!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Years ago, an old cowboy told me that clothes make the (wo)man. I finally figgered it out.

I'm on my phone so it's hard to look things up but someone said they were concerned about the safety of hair color. Yep, there is that but I feel that life is so short anyway, I want to live it to almost the fullest, not worry about too much. A friend told me this several years ago when she had a life threatening problem. I told her to not take this "icky" med (cuz I felt it would do further damage long term) and she said she'd rather take the med and LIVE her life, even if it shortened it. That has always stayed with me even tho I need reminders every so often.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  09:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the only problem though with that philosophy for me, is I can't live too much with too many chemicals, they put me in the hospital with asthma, burns and rashes. lol So it's not so much fun living with the chemicals for me.

Also depending on the meds, I'm not so sure my grandma would agree, she had life after cobolt, it was really sad.......and agonizing, again not much of "life", strapped to a toilet cause her intestines disappeared, along with her ears literally fell off her head, and the back of her legs fell off too. Cobolt did some nasty things to her even though she was technically alive. She died of sepsis cause of her intestines disappearing. It was a pretty painful death.......she also never left her house the last ten years of her life from that medication, cause she was embarrassed about the poo just coming out and her not having any control. Like I said wasn't really much "living".

However, I myself have been on my death bed (the doctors even asked me my last request, literally!) and understand the sentiment. I want to live, but not in misery. lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greenpaws
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

shirley
des moines iowa
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello Prariehawk! I read a quote recently, cannot remember who said it, but goes something like this..."be yourself, everyone else is already taken"....I need to remind myself of this from time to time, sometimes day to day. If I am not happy with something about myself I usually try to fill the space with something about someone else which is not truley me. Does this make sense to you? Being ourself is certainly accepting, with all our limitations,(and there are many)ourself and finding ways to strenghthen our assets. I am in my "60's" and I feel I am finally, since about 50, able to accept me. We all have doubts, and it is good to know we are not alone with those feelings.

Keep your hands dirty!
greenpaws
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile
What an incredibly honest and powerful thread this is.
Thank you, Cindy, for having the courage to say this.

Thanks to all of you for your kind sharing. You inspire me greatly.

A few years ago, I lost over 45 pounds. I gained back about eleven pounds and I'm fighting to get it back off (down five so far).
I run and do Pilates and am planning a major lifestyle change this fall so that I will be more active everyday.
Once I lost the weight I found that I still have a spare tire around my waist and my face looks tired and saggy.
My husband says that I imagine it (he's wonderful to me) but I can see that I am older and it makes me sad.

I can still look nice and I admit that I do feel better about myself as a thinner person but I still battle with self esteem issues constantly.
A few years ago I would never have guessed that these issues would not leave when the weight did.

I did get some bangs a few months ago and even that one little thing gave me a major lift.
All the little things you can do for yourself as the ladies here have suggested are really all much bigger than they seem.
Getting my hair done is a huge spirit lifter. Or, setting my hair and making it look as nice as I can. That helps.
I love to get a manicure or a massage.

When I read about others who share about teeth and weight and some of life's most difficult burdens I feel so lucky to know you all.
You are beautiful. All of you.

Thanks, again, for being here,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Woman to woman question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page