Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, what do you collect? I collect small barns, small rolling pins ( I will post a picture as soon as I figure how to do it),aprons, post holders, fabric and old postcards. Of course it usually takes a long time to collect just the right stuff for your collection and it's hard to stop. These are the things I am keeping as I am clearing the clutter in our home of 49 years. Since they are small they don't take up too much room. What do you collect....don't say dust cuz we don't have to make an effort to collect that (lol).

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  7:01:48 PM  Show Profile
I have too many collections! I collect tee pees, chihuahuas, 40's kitchen gadgets, siamese cat ceramic figurines, linen, old pillow cases, old fiesta ware, tea cups.....

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  7:32:02 PM  Show Profile
i object! I work very hard at not dusting so I have plenty of dust in the house....lol...I have been collecting enamel ware for years...like the old big white wash tubs ect that my grandmother had. I also love anything chicken but not the stuffed animals....I have some beautiful wood carved ones that started the whole thing, I even have checks with roosters on them now. I also collect old linens & laces to re-purpose into dresses, pantaloons, bloomers, bonnets, shirts ect. & older Nancy Drew & the Hardy boys books that I read as a child.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1496 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1496 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of collections too.....stickers, antique glass, old kitchen gadgets and antique farm tools. Plus lots of folkart items from exchange students that I've worked with over the years and my own travels around the world.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  8:20:49 PM  Show Profile
This makes me giggle because I collect a little of everything, but my favorite stuff to collect is antique furniture, books, blue willow china (w/the oriental design), paper (for paper crafts), ribbons & lace, and vintage tablecloths. I also like baskets and the old blue canning jars with the wire hook to secure the glass lid by Ball, along with teapots and teacups...but I haven't bought these types of things in a long time. A few years ago I found pink plates with the blue willow design and bought them too...I just love them...so pretty:) Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  8:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I collect Wool fabric (for my rugs) vintage rug hooks and equipment, all kinds of bee things but especially the old honey pots that look like bee hives, american sweetheart depression glass in white, anything vintage coffee, feed sacks with writing and pictures on them, real sea glass, enamel ware, books by Jean Stratton Porter, folk art, state plates and towels and just added state hankies, blue glass bottles, red glass bottles, yellow glass bottles, (bottle trees) square glass storage jars and cookie cutters. Most of which I am missing very much since every thing is in storage while the house is being built.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  02:56:51 AM  Show Profile
I collect teapots and teacups, antique and vintage cookbooks, older Nancy Drew books, gnomes, sea glass and did I mention books?! LOL.

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  05:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Besides fabric and beads, I collect vintage ceramic planters. Most of them are animal themed - my favorite is a black and white puppy with a big pink bow. I love the look of the older ceramics - the soft colors make them look so sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  07:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Glass!! Clear glass in any size or shape. Vases, flower frogs, candle holders, plates...
Michelle, I LOVE NANCY DREW!! I collect fabric, and my biggest collection is buttons!!!!
Back on the farm is a huge collection of antique equipment. I also collect recipes. And I'm constantly accused of collecting new hobbies!! Lol.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile
I love White Ironstone, Currier and Ives dishes, depression era kitchen items....Oh and buttons, buttons, buttons galore!!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  6:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh farmgirls! I knew this question would be a hoot. I started it but I also have a ton of buttons too and I just bought another chicken today. It's really fun, isn't it! Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile
What do I collect - besides clutter and dust? Mostly, anything old, particularly old dishes, depression glass, coffee and tea cups, chickens, the list goes on and on. I have several pieces of the brown dishes, I believe Safeway sold or gave away during the 50's. I love them! I collect some old books, but I am trying to "weed" through those, saving only the ones I really like. And I have several old quilts, dresser scarves, aprons, etc.

Yes, Bonnie, it is fun, but sometimes overwhelming.

Hugs!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  9:25:04 PM  Show Profile
I have been collecting old Fiesta dishes since 1973 and have quite a colorful collection. I used to have more collections but now I collect buttons, beads, so many magazines, Disney pins and books (but I am trying to weed out.) My husband and I have traveled the country for the last 5 years so all my stuff has been in storage and I miss my dishes the most. We sure hope to settle soon so I can unpack everything. That is a new goal; to live long enough to get everything unpacked. LOL! Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Joey, I know you will get it all unpacked. How about a little suitcase for traveling, containing a few of your favorite things (including one dish). It would always go with you. Or like one of my friends told me about...take photos of your favorite things and carry them with you. That way you will see them instead of just trying to remember. Good luck farmgirl! Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie, Thanks for your encouragement. I have a few things with me and a few pictures which really does help. I try not to gather more new treasures as we travel but we love everywhere so sometimes that's hard too. Hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  02:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I collect aprons,chicken figurines,small barns,rooster figurines,cookie cutters,tea cups,books on homesteading, books on chickens,gingerbread men. ~Trisha~ farmgirl sister #2982
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  05:05:08 AM  Show Profile
i have been collecting thimbles and spoons for about 35 years; i also love buttons-old ones new ones the more the merrier! i collect what i call amber glass- and love the hobnail--also white milk glass...tho some of my milk glass has been broken thru some moves..my bear collection started with one Boyds bear-Skipper-and has grown tho i have had to give some away! and i hoard books.....all sorts of books- i have an 1887 Tom Sawyer and some McGuffeys readers and well....still have my original barbie tho she is worthless due to my brother hurting her-
i have a juice pitcher and cup from when i was a young girl....i collect Santas and nesting sets .....i used to collect tins and baskets-have had to really cut down on them!!!!!oh and mini perfume bottles.....and i collect dust;bunnies, webs, you name it i have em!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Apr 24 2011 05:06:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Penny Dyke
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Penny
East Palestine Ohio
USA
93 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  05:50:40 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone I also a collect lots of things,horse bridle rossetts,model horse wagons,old horse pictures,vintage pyrex,I love collecting so much,my husband built me a little antique and collctibles store in my barn,I just opened this spring,now I can collect for other people its so much fun to see what other people love and enjoy,if your ever in my area stop in I have lots of the stuff everyone has mentioned, the store name is Farmtiques and Uniques.
Penny
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  5:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
What a fun post! I'm with all of y'all, too many collections. Love what I love, I guess. I collect "Old Quilt" milk glass, teapots and cups, aprons, of course...my aprons, love them, and thimbles to name a few things....

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
stools: milking, foot step and sitting of all sizes and colors, from micro-mini to practical, all are used in some way, such as display for other stools(stacked)or for what they were made for, all are hand made.I also collect vintage kitchen items, from old hand tools to electric 1940's mixers. There is not a spot in my house that does not have some sort of collection displayed,lol...but I love them all...
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  5:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Penny - what a great name for your store! My biggest collection is actually of old items about my town. I have a bookcase full of old pitchers, vases, cups, etc... that are souvenirs of my town from the late 1800's to early 1900's. I also have postcards, booklets, books, stuff from the past about our town. My first collection ever was salt and pepper shakers. Every time I would visit my grandmother she would give me a set from her collection until finally I had her entire set. My family and friends have added to it of course over the years.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey

Edited by - Oggie on May 20 2011 5:55:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  6:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
Ooh, I have to join this. I too collect many things. A few of them are;
Postcards,
books, I have all kinds of books,
Vintage cookbooks, vintage anything. (mostly dating between the 20s to the 50s.)
Victorian books. (books from the Victorian and Edwardian period)
Original Nancy Drew books (The blue covers)
Various antiques
And I have a small collection of dolls.

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  8:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for posting everyone. It is so great to know you are not the only one who loves some stuff. I love vintage too. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  10:12:33 AM  Show Profile
I have an antique coffee pot collection, and may start using them for other uses.

I collect keychains (have since I was a teen), and mix and match tea cups.

I collect, but use regularly, vintage household items. For example, tablecloths, dish towels, plates, cups, and other items.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile
I collect vintage children's books with illustrations. I got started while visiting Scotland with friends and going to small bookstores. I especially love Arthur Rackham illustrations. Fiesta ware, old advertising prints, hankies, I have a few old small dolls. I inherited several nice pieces of American Brilliant Period cut glass. Antique wood furniture, old silver or silver-plated flatware. Antique toys and games, my husband has a collection of old farm tools and horse sleigh bells and harness. And I tend to collect art supplies and jewelry making supplies =:-}

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile
I collect almost anything (vintage) amber glass, some Fenton figurines, and what ever tea cup that is full of roses (mostly vintage)! I really enjoy walking through antiques stores, even if it is just for browsing.

Tina Kay

Happy it is, indeed, for me that my heart is capable of feeling the same simple and innocent pleasure as the peasant whose table is covered with food of his own rearing, and who not only enjoys his meal, but remembers with delight the happy days and sunny mornings when he planted it, the soft evenings when he watered it, and the pleasure he experienced in watching it’s daily growth.

J.W. von Goethe (the Sorrows of Werther)

Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Collecting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page