Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I have this... Next Topic  

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile
My home is filled with precious heirlooms... old quilts, chairs, kitchen things, books. I love seeing them and being reminded of my pioneering ancestors. I'm writing about these treasures on my blog, and hope to inspire others to write down some history as well.

Today I've posted my inspiration for getting it all written down. http://field-days.com/buttern-churn

Maybe you'll share a little story here of an heirloom you treasure. I have a list of things that have a special history just waiting to be told. I'm working on it! Hope you will too!!
Sandy

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I've made a category on the blog just for these articles. "I have this..." It's my favorite!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure you Farm Girls would share my frustrations. I have friends commenting on my Facebook link to this article... giving me tips on how to "google" the churn to get my information.

I've just commented in response:
"Oh.. I know they were made by the millions, and used in the 1800s through the early 1900s. I just wish I knew if it came from Missouri on a covered wagon, or who purchased it at the mercantile, did the little children turn the crank, or was that mama's job? That's the history I'm longing for!"

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:37:12 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea. I have alot of family things, so thankfully, I know the history of some of it. My grandmothers treadle sewing machine and quilt hoop, quilts, blanket chests, I could go on and on. So glad you are interested in the history behind your things.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I sure hope you'll get it all written down for the generations yet to come! How wonderful to have those quilt hoops! I quilt with a hoop, but my great-grandmothers all quilted on large frames. Wouldn't it be grand to have a photo of them quilting.
Those women were amazing!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  05:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Today I've written about my old icebox. It belonged to my husband's grandparents, and was even used by my mother-in-law when she was a child in Oklahoma. It's one of my treasures!

I have this icebox...
http://field-days.com/icebox

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile
I just visited my parents last evening and came home with a zippy bag full of various jewelry; watches, rings, necklaces, lockets, etc. Most Mom knew the vague history behind, and some she just wasn't sure of. That got me to thinking that if I don't write it down, I'll forget where each piece came from......and especially so when my Mom passes on. <God, I hate to even think of this>

Anyway, I did tell her that I'm going to take a pic with my digital and will email them to her and she can identify and write what she knows of each piece. I'll then have it on my hard drive as reference for my kids as well as for insurance purposes. From that point I don't know where I could go with this.

But Sandy, that ice box is gorgeous! Am sure it is a good conversation piece. I'm thinking it'd be fantastic as a shabby chic piece - it's perfectly distressed.

Keep on documenting things, I think most people do not and family loses track of where precious heirlooms come from down the road. You're doing someone a favor, and honoring your family, too!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen. And you too! So glad you're going to write down the history of the jewelry. As I told one reader... these things can't speak for themselves... so we'd better do it!

Yes, my icebox is gorgeous! My mother-in-law so desperately wanted to remove that white paint... but now she sees the same beauty I see, and I know she's so proud every time she comes to our home.

By the way... proud of you for learning to crochet!!
Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed sharing the stories about my string holders on my blog.
http://field-days.com/string-holders

Although I know they were common in households prior to 1950, I'm the only person I know who has one.

Do any of you farm girls own an heirloom string holder?

Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  04:26:22 AM  Show Profile
Sandy ~ I love love love your blog!!!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  05:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Elaine!!!!
And thanks for joining my mailing list. I only send out a happy reminder letter about the blog every week or two... so no worries about e-mail overload. =)

I love, love, love writing about my heirloom treasures! (And lots of other things too.) Thank you for stopping by!

Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Sandy,
Had fun looking at your site. We seem to have a lot of the same things. Most of my house is either family things or thrift store and garage sale. I must say I have never seen a sting holder like yours . Maybe I saw them and didn't know what they were. I will be looking for them now.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  11:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes Nancy Jo... we do love the same things! Loved the wonderful photos of your treasures on your blog.

For sure.. be on the look for string holders. I bet you'll see one right away. That's how it always works for me.

Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely blog Sandy!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Angela.

I just love being with all these kindred spirits. Just had a look at your "new" case. Love it!!! Yes, my grandmothers had those as well.

Thanks for visiting my weblog.
Sandy

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  03:31:19 AM  Show Profile
How fun! I'd love to see a link to Lizzie's videos. Those cupcake eggs are perfect for easter!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  06:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Thanks for reading her birthday limerick. =)
Lizzie was a later-in-life child for my sister. So Lizzie's big sister is a young married woman with a baby of her own, and she dotes on Lizzie... as we all do. Big sister Katie occasionally puts videos on Facebook of Lizzie making cupcakes. Lizzie dreams of owning her own bakery someday, and we talk and talk of how it will be decorated, and what the rose garden will look like as you're approaching the front door.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=462516661799

If you're on FB, maybe you can access this. It's just a sweet home video... my sweet little Lizzie.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Love your blog!! As I read about your various "I have this..." I realized that I too have many of these things that I need to write down too. Time to start a blog I guess. One thing I wanted to tell you about was my old hymnals. They were my great- grandmothers and they are in Swedish.

She was the organist in her church, along with two other churches in her town. She also taught piano, organ, violin, & voice lessons to sing. My Mother tells me that growing up she was excused from school to go sing at funerals where my great-grandmother played the organ. The songs they sang were in Swedish most of the time from these hymnals. While I can't begin to tell you what any of them say, I can tell you they are dear to me. Before she died she was determined to teach my brothers and I how to play the piano, and I'm happy to say, she succeeded!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  11:12:56 PM  Show Profile
I inherited my Nana's Chocolate pots and I love them. 4 days before my mother died, she told me she hsd her grandmothers wedding china from Germany from when they got married in 1900. I had never seen my GGM dishes. So I climb up to the cabinets over the refrigerator and almost fell off the chair. There-in perfect condition were my great-grandmothers wedding dishes-I'm talking covered casserole dishes, complete placesettings for 12. Covered soup tureens,etc. all in perfect condition. I had never seen these dishes before and if I 'd waited another week, my mother would not have been there to tell me the story. I wrote the story that week and packed those dishes to go home with me. I love them but knowing that they were my greatgrands made them even more special. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Ginny... the wonderful story of the hymnals! And Joann... your great-grandmother's wedding dishes! Treasures! Rare, grand treasures! I'm so happy reading about them.

Oh yes... everyone... write down the stories of the heirlooms, and the people who cherished them first.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  1:00:23 PM  Show Profile
I am going to check your blog too. I have a few items from my ancestors :) One is a copper tea kettle, made for my maternal great-great grandmother at their wedding by her brother who was a copper smithy :) It is over 300 yrs old.

Also I have my mothers doll house furniture made for her when she was 5 (in 1930) by her grandfather who was a master carpenter. Small silver sugarspoon, from my maternal great grandmother. And a few other things. LOVE them all. Unfortunately I have no children, my oldest brother's children don't want any contact with us anymore...so after I am gone...these items might end up in a junk pile somewhere :( BUT I refuse to dwell on that now and enjoy what I have :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  2:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Marian, these sound like wonderful treasures! Oh my... the copper tea kettle wedding gift... what a special and unique heirloom. Oh no, it must never end up in a junk pile. I'm sure the doll house furniture is fabulous too.

Like you, I have no children. I do have lots of nieces and nephews from both my side of the family and my husbands. It's another reason I want to write down the stories of all my special keepsakes. I want to make sure everyone knows where they came from so that as they're passed on down the line they won't just be "something Sandy had in her house"... but they'll know which family line the items came from. It makes the treasures all the more special.

"Dutchy".... while you're over there at my blog, be sure to read about my string holders in my "I Have This..." category. One of them is the most beautiful Dutch doll face! It belonged to my great-grandmother.

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  4:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Sandy, that Dutch girl is so cute, a real treasure.

OH I hope someone comes along that likes my heirlooms...who knows...someday I might find my "prince charming with children" lol. I don't have any family left, except my older brother now so....

Yes the doll house furniture is awesome :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Marian... you simply must find someone who will cherish your treasures. I'm sure you will!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Hope to see you back sometime. Loved looking at yours. Just love seeing your language!!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  3:33:53 PM  Show Profile
My nine year old niece is here for a little visit, and this week I've taught her to sew. We've been making patchwork pillows, and it inspired my latest blog post in my "I Have This..." category.

http://field-days.com/sewing-machines

I have my grandmother's and my mother's old sewing machines. I'm sure many of you have old "Singers" in your homes. They're beautiful!

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  05:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Just sharing another "I have this..." story. Hopefully I've inspired you to tell the stories of your precious heirlooms. Nieces and nephews and grandchildren need to know! =)

http://field-days.com/ninnys-pitcher

www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic I have this... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page