Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What dish do YOU make for neighbors and occasions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What dish do YOU make for neighbors and occasions? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:05:04 PM  Show Profile
I noted the couple down the street from us put out an "It's a Girl" banner on Tuesday and, even though we've only ever waved as we pass in cars, I remembered how nice it was when folks made Jus and I food when Violet was born. THEN I worried myself sick over "what" to actually make someone who's tastes I don't know!!!! Initially I thought about Lasagna, then I thought about chili (but it was 82 degrees here yesterday) then I thought about Pioneer Woman's chicken spaghetti, and then I settled on Pioneer Woman's Simple Enchilada's made with ground pork, and some spanish rice and pinto beans as a side.

What do you take to neighbors or friends for having a baby, funerals, shut ins, sickness, etc...

Anyway, regardless of whether they liked the food, she certainly seemed happy that someone thought of them. I met the baby (born a month early--SO tiny!) and went on my way. Just hoping they had a care free evening

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:11:07 PM  Show Profile
I like to bring:

~Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
~Salad
~Chocolate Cake

I also like to bring flowers too, even if it is a single stem :)

I have never had children, but I have heard that diet after delivering a baby is important, such as no brassicas,garlic or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong though :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile
I worried about that, too, Sharon. I even toned down the spice quite a bit in the case she might be breast feeding. Since I don't know them at all, I didn't feel comfortable asking!!!! What I remember is that some things can make your milk a bit flavored, like garlic, but this didn't have garlic, and I did cut down on some of the onions. If she couldn't eat it, I'm sure her husband probably enjoyed it :)

Chicken pot pie is a good one--salad, too. I've made a really good vegetable stew before, also, but it was just so hot here yesterday, soup seemed like a turn-off!

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
On the diet thing, I believe you have to be a little more careful if you are nursing, not wanting to give the newborn indigestion.

I usually try to do a meat and a dessert.

If I know there are children, I normally take fried chicken and sometimes mac & cheese (because nearly all kids will eat m & c) and a dessert kids like - chocolate cake, cup cakes, or homemade cookies.

If it is a more elderly person or couple, I make a meatloaf and a pound cake (just a loaf pan size). If I have the stuff on hand for a fruit salad or green salad, I'll also include a salad.

Some of our friends had rather I make chicken enchiladas and a pot of beans. Throw in a bag of chips and some homemade salsa and they are in heaven.

I am sure your neighbor was thrilled with what you brought!!! There are times I have had trouble deciding what to take, too! But I always appreciate anything someone brings when we are having problems - the fact someone wants to reach out and help & the fact I don't have to cook, is what makes it such an awesome gift, not so much what they bring.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:25:40 PM  Show Profile
I eat a ton of garlic, and always have, babies don't seem to mind, it's what they are used to.

I like the chicken pot pie idea too.

I initially also thought of lasagna I think every one likes it. I LOVE enchiladas but have also found they are very regionally liked, people up north don't care for them as much. (I have no idea why!)

I read on a blog once that lentils were great for after natural childbirth and breastfeeding, but I'm not sure.

I've only tried this out on my family so far, but have high hopes of using it for friends and neighbors soon-
~baked lemon/herb chicken
~pan gravy made from above chicken
~cous cous (if you don't know them of think they may not like the name cous cous, even though it's pasta, most around here are more willing to try it if I call it "rice" lol Not to some one who is glutton intolerant though!) I like garlic/pinenut the best myself.
~fattoush salad-romaine lettuce, black olives, feta cheese, tomato, onion, diced dill pickles, italian style dressing with pita chips as "croutons"
~hummus and pita as snacks as they are so packed with protein

dessert~strawberry shortcake, or peach cobbler

At least this is the menu I've been thinking of lately to serve to friends soon.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought, a few years ago, an elderly couple I barely knew lost a son in an accident. They had to travel to where he & his family lived for the funeral. About a week after they returned home, I took a loaf of fresh baked bread and a small jar of homemade blackberry jelly to them and visited for about an hour. The bread was still warm and the husband went and got the butter and ate two or three slices warm with butter and that jelly, while we sat and the kitchen table and visited.

That was one time, I knew I had scored a hit in what I had decided to take.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile
oh and ps I think every one likes chocolate cake too!

I am for sure going to start taking food to people who have had children. I read in a book once about people doing that. I have never had that for myself. I've had three births and no one has ever brought me food! lol But, when I read that some people do that in a book, I was like I am so doing that next time I know of some one having a baby. Cause man would that surely help! Maybe some day with one of my births some one would do the same kindness for me. lol haha I doubt it though. But, I figure if I start it up maybe it will catch on!

BTW, I've been getting more and more brave. I've been inviting people to Le Leche if they are pregnant regaurdless if I know them! lol So far, I've only found one person that seemed to not be scared to death by the invite, or not flat out told me that their boobs are theirs and they aren't sharing them with a baby. (yeah one person really told me that! lol) But, oh well, for me it was a extension of putting out my hand in friendship like. Inviting them to the group I go to, and it's free and some time for mommies to get together, and eat snacks and talk! plus with DD1 I didn't know about LLL no one had ever told me about it. I so wish they had, with DD2, friends told me to go to a meeting and I'm so glad they did. It's been wonderful for me. That's why I also invite people, cause I figure there's not a lot of people who know about it. And so far I am right, every one I have invited said they never heard of it, yet are pretty creeped out when I tell them what it's for! lol hahaha oh well! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestions, girls. We are surrounded by lots of elderly folks, and usually during someone's passing, I take some sort of stew or casserole that can be shared by family members, because not everyone feels like eating. I even thought, given the opportunity next time, that I might make one to freeze so that the neighbor has something on hand at a later date.

I'd like to start bringing this sort of thing "back" to our little neighborhood, because just a little kindness goes a heck of a long way, doesn't it? I hope they liked the food, but I really liked her smile and handshake the most.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Not to cause a argument but the jury is still out on what mothers eat effecting the milk they produce for the baby. (this is science, they keep going back and forth, right now the official ruling is they are unsure!) A lot of baby indigestion could just be immature digestive system. What most professionals are now saying is for mom's not to stress over it, stress will effect baby much more. And to eat healthy balanced diet. And not worry about this or that will effect baby.

And another PS with the above menu for myself I would prefer tiramisu, but I know not a lot of people widely like it, so I adjusted the menu to the above, but chocolate cake would work too! lol haha

I also found from living in NYC for 10 years (going to many church functions with a variety of people from all over the world), I had a lot of hit and miss dishes. Things that I grew up with people loving in the midwest and south, people from the West Indies, the Islands and NYC weren't so in love with! lol But, I found almost every one likes strawberry shortcake, chocolate cake, and deviled eggs. Those were always gobbled up if nothing else was! It took me several tries and many misses on finding what the majority of folks in NYC would even touch! But, I became the deviled egg lady and they would start to run at me for the eggs when they seen our car pull up after a while! lol haha Strawberry shortcake was always polished off too!

However, as for salad, I know here in the midwest people like a wide variety in their veggie salads, lots of mix. When I tried some of the traditional salads we eat here in the midwest on people in NYC they would barely touch it and then ask me what it was, when I said salad, they would say well what's in it, when I went on to tell them they would say that was too many veggies and wouldn't touch it! Their idea of salad I found out was just that bag of iceburge lettuce mix (with a few shreds of carrots) and sometimes a tomato added. And that's "salad", here in the midwest we call that lettuce, not "salad". lol haha So that is one thing I learned about salad, is what is eaten can be very very regional!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:41:05 PM  Show Profile
I think food is the international language of "caring", you know? I don't always have the right words or say the right thing, but I can cook and for me, cooking and nurturing your body is equal to nurturing your heart and soul. I'm always glad to do it and it takes such little effort on my part.

@ Cheryl, that warm bread and blackberry jam brought that man back to the land of the living. No joke.

@Heather--a co-worker of my mother's that I'd never met made Justin and I two beautiful casseroles that could be reheated and eaten on for days. I was never so grateful--my friend Julie made a spinach, lentil and chicken soup and a loaf of wheat bread that was absolutely the best comfort food I could have ever asked for during those cold February days. I had a c-section, and though I was pretty able bodied, it was good to not have to "think" through the muddle of 3 hours of sleep off and on and try to make food for the both of us.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile
It's true, Heather, regions definitely have their "favorites" and I can always count on some sort of lasagna being well received, or chili, or beans and corn bread. Since I had NO idea about this couple, but noted they were around our age, Mexican and Hispanic foods are a pretty good bet with our age group, so I went for it. Gooey cheesy saucy goodness can't be beat :)

I definitely "vary" my offerings depending on where I'm headed. If it's an older person, I stick with a fairly traditional pot roast or something like that. I find (for me) men are easier to cook for, especially widowers because (one in particular that I know of) would make cheese and crackers for supper!

And yes, dessert. I didn't have as much time yesterday as I would have liked because I spent a great part of the afternoon picking violets to make jelly tonight, but at least they got a full meal that they didn't have to think on :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:47:40 PM  Show Profile
good idea Jonnie! I have been meaning to start the same thing!

I also think the same is good for new mommies. I was thinking for 6 weeks is may be good to take over at least one dish. Or every other week for 6 weeks take two dishes (one fresh and one frozen). I even thought about getting the other women in my church to help out and us all try to make them a full 6 weeks of meals, at least dinners, so that they wouldn't have to worry. Especially new mom's trying to nurse a baby-exhausted, often learning the ropes of nursing a new baby (even if one has nursed before, each baby is different and some can really have a hard time learning to nurse! and can really exhaust a mom who just gave birth!). Any way, it's been something that's been swirling in my head for almost a year now, since I read a book on breastfeeding and how other cultures take care of new moms for X amount of time, and how much more successful they are at nursing there then here.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I remember well. As much as I loved my wee little girl, I felt like a prisoner at times when nursing, and sometimes (especially when she was colicky) I felt a bit crazy, so any help you can get, foodwise or even just someone to stop by and say "hey" is a welcome change of pace.

I'm sure other women in the church would be willing to do this as a service, especially now with all we know about post partum depression--it never hurts to have someone who's been where you are just to chat with or have a cup of tea with.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile
So true, I have found EVERY one so far loves lasagna, and every one loves chicken. At least that's what I have found.

I love mexican food too, and here where I live in the midwest, young and old a like love it. We have a LOT of mexican restaurants and fast food chains, etc. Every one has taco night at least once a week. (it's more tex-mex then mexican, but you know what I mean). And so I was totally shocked when I moved north that even young people would turn their nose up. But, then I looked around and literally the only fast food tex mex in NYC was taco bell, no wander people didn't want it! lol haha (I don't consider taco bell texmex or mexican! lol or even food! lol haha). But, around here I could probably take it to any one's home and they would be excited! lol (I'm mexican by the way, so it was just shocking to me, cause I grew up in the midwest and south where every one loves tex-mex, mexican food! lol).

I bet that was lovely for you! I kept wishing when I had DD2 that some one would feed us! lol Cause I seemed to be so overwhelmed with so much to do! With DD1 I was a bit overwhelmed, but not as much, don't remember it being a big deal about meals. With DD2, I often wondered what we were going to eat, and didn't even eat sometimes till DH got home cause I was just too overwhelmed to think about it! When I read that book I was like this is what I NEED to do for people!

As for men you are so right! My DH's grandpa is from NYC and he will eat anything I make! lol haha Oddly enough it's the women who are harder to feed. Funny, DH grandpa, said when grandma dies he has it all figured out-meals on wheels for breakfast and lunch-he's going to go to two different senior centers at lunch time and get one for lunch that day and one for breakfast for the next day. And then is going to a all you can eat buffet for dinner. And that's how he plans on making it! lol We offered for him to live with us when she dies, but he seems excited about his "plan" for now, and said that's what he wants to do! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I've got to run, but I'll comment tomorrow a.m. on your post. I had to laugh at your dh's Grandpa's plan...it's a good one!!!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Me too! I felt like I was a raving lunatic. I remember one day, my father in law, did something and I blew my top and started crying! Oddly enough it was something that the book mentioned you shouldn't do to a new mother! lol haha (I hadn't read the book yet, but read the book later and I was like wow that's why I blew up like that!). I was bawling my eyes out! I still feel a little embarrassed about it. But, at least after reading the book, it assured me that it was a normal reaction to what he had done. It wasn't terrible that's why I'm embarrassed about it!

What happened was he offered to do my laundry for me-nice yes! So I gathered up just one weeks of clothes, I asked him specifically to just do those clothes and nothing else (he didn't fold or anything would just wash them and bring them back in a garbage bag, which them I had to fold and put away), any way I said no more then that little load cause I couldn't literally handle folding and putting away any more then that. Well when he came back he literally came back with about 5 huge leaf bags of clothes from all his cousins who had given us their hand me downs, with our one little load scattered through out the 5 bags!!!!!! Meaning I had to go through all 5 bags to find our one weeks worth of clothes. I just bust out bawling. I was exhausted (had a c-section that time too!) and just didn't see how I was going to do it all! lol Like I said, I'm still embarrassed about it, and he probably was like, wow she is a nut ball! lol haha But, then I read that book and it specifically said, do NOT bring a bunch of your hand me downs to a new mother till she is settled in, if you do bring hand me downs only bring ones the baby can fit into NOW cause new mom's are just too overwhelmed by every thing else to have to deal with sorting and storing 10 years worth of hand me downs into piles for each age, etc. And that's exactly what he had done. lol There was clothes in there from new born to 5 years old! lol haha I was just UHG! I am grateful for them don't get me wrong, we love them and use them. But, when I was 2 weeks post partum from a c-section, trying to help a preemie nurse, and keep my sanity it was not the right timing! lol haha And especially with the clothes we needed to be wearing mixed up in that mess! lol hahaha If it hadn't been for our clothes we needed to wear being mixed up in the bunch I wouldn't of really minded it really......it was the thought of digging through 5 bags of clothes to find our clothing....and in my crazy lunatic new mommy again mode, I also thought as I went through the bags, I must fold and store properly for later use! lol haha And well it was too MUCH! haha But, I think about that day often, and wander what my FIL thinks about that day! lol haha Cause he just stood there and said nothing! While I'm bawling my eyes out, going WHY!? lol hahaha He never did say anything. lol haha BTW, one bag at a time I went through them, and got my husband to get me storage boxes and I sorted and boxed them up and here we are a little over a year later using them with love. lol Just wish my one weeks of clothes hadn't been scattered in them last year! lol hahahaha

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 11 2011 2:09:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm a southerner and i thought everyone took food over for 1. New neighbors. 2. illness 3. births 4. deaths 5. if you knew visitors were coming from out of town to stay for a few days. I moved north (won't say where for fear of offending!) and was surprised none of the neighbors dropped by with a dish to introduce themselves. I stopped and introduced myself when I saw anyone outside but they acted like I was strange for doing so. It was a lonely place until I found the newcomers club in the paper. I joined right away. There were ladies from all over to visit with and take outings with to get to know the area. Shortly after I joined they voted to extend the membership from five years to ten. Does that tell you something!? I eventually got to know my closest neighbor and enjoyed her so much. We were as different as night and day. What laughs we had over that. I taught her southern cooking and she taught me Italian. Her grown kids still looked at me like I had three heads but finally accepted my presence and in the end were sorry their mom's friend was moving home.
So yes, things are regional!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:39:02 PM  Show Profile
Connie I too had made some pretty good friends by the time I left. Many older women. It was older women who threw me a baby shower for DD1. When I say older (they were 95 plus! The oldest at the time I think was 103!) I met them at the library in a group that met weekly. A few other young women would come from time to time look around and never come back. If only they had stayed we would of had more younger ones. But, none would ever come back! UHG! I was the only young one (in my 30's!) that would ever keep going. I didn't know how to convince the other young ones if they kept coming and then the others who visited kept coming we would have a group of varied ages, not just the older ones, cause one look and they would be gone. *shrugs* oh well, that group was a very good group of women and we were really good friends. I sometimes wander about them and hope they are doing ok, but I know in all honesty most of them have probably passed by now.

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
I always like to take a soup, such as vegetable beef or a corn & ham chowder with some homemade bread and tea cakes. I figure, if they have enough to eat, they can always freeze that and serve it when they just don't want to cook or are low on groceries. I also have on occasion fixed a breakfast casserole and homemade muffins or cheese biscuits. I've often thought that breakfast was the most forgotten meal, yet the most important. A couple of times I've made a Cinnamon Whole Wheat Raisin bread that is baked strictly to slice and make Cinnamon French Toast, and send along a dozen fresh farm eggs to make the toat with. It's delicious, easy to make, and has been a winner with the recipients. Mmmm. Here again, I'm making myself hungry!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  07:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I look back on those days fondly to Heather. It was a good growth experience for me.
Julie you made me hungry! How far is it to your house? LOL That french toast sounds heavenly. Guess I know what I'll be doing today.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Mmm Julie, you got me thinking! May have to take at least a breakfast item too next birth! I know one thing that with DD1 I used a LOT of, was those bars, like fiber one bars, and granola bars. Cause it was just fast and easy to eat and I could eat it while nursing etc. So a box of those may not be a bad idea either to take a starving wore out mommy!

Me too Connie, I am very very grateful for living in different places for a while, it really has helped me grow and see more, and learn more.

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  10:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My standard staples are chicken spaghetti (the red version), a fresh green salad, homemade bread (or a loaf of good french bread, sliced, buttered, and heated) and lemon bars. I'm all for palate cleansing foods - lemon is my favorite go to dessert. I try to get as much simple stuff as possible. Someone can munch on bread or a bar if they don't want a plate. I also invest in the aluminum pans - and even garage sale dishes so the hosts doesn't feel obligated to wash & return. That's the worst part of receiving meals - keeping up with someone else's dishes. I like to make it easy on them and me - and always include a note with any "nice" dishes that they are now theirs.

One other tip worth mentioning. I don't immediately rush with a dish after a death or baby or whatever. That's when everyone crowds in to grieve or coo - whichever the case may be. I like to mark a date on my calendar - a random day about 2 weeks afterwards to "surprise" them after life has gotten settled, but they are still adjusting. New parents and I have a better chance to visit and I'm available if they want a shower :) and those grieving need friends more after the funerals than they do before. Now, I do cook with my church when we're doing it as a group, but independent projects always come after the fact.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

Edited by - HollyG on Apr 12 2011 10:06:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
I like to give garage sale/thrift store dishes as, that I don't need to get back. Too much of a hassle on both of us to give things that need to come back!

Plus I come from a family of 17 children, when something comes through that door we can't ever insure anyone will see it again! lol So I know from experience giving something people don't have to return is the best. Cause my mom and I just tell people, don't even bring anything here you want to see again, we have no control over all 17 children who will do what with what. And try to interrogate that many to figure out what they did with it! lol hahaha While they look at you blankly as if you are speaking greek! lol haha Not that any of them do things on purpose, but we have to run a tight ship for any order to exist, and my little sisters in charge of washing dishes, wash them almost immediately and then promptly put them away.......but where no one knows!!!!!!!! lol And good luck getting it out of them! Not only that but about 9 of them have came from starvation (5 from Haiti and 4 from here in the USA but from severe neglect and starvation) so sometimes if it is something they like, they may take said food and hide it under their bed, even though they are fed here regularly getting out of that Haitian orphanage, or neglected home life they once had mode, is near impossibly. The classes we have went to says if they experienced it passed a certain age, it is near impossible to get that mind set different. And they have proven that. Also remnants from Haitian Orphanage is they still think if they like something, and use a black marker and put their name on it and then hide it under their bed, it makes it theirs! As apparently that was the system in the orphanage. lol um...So that too.....you may never see it again and we can't help it! Please only bring things you never care to see again! lol haha

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 12 2011 12:30:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  1:02:13 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors across the street always get a cheesecake for holiday, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I know someone is under the weather they always get Chicken noodle soup and bread and some cookies. If its a new baby they get pork chops on top of potatoes with a mushroom gravy, veggie salad and most often cookies for a treat.
I work in a drs office where drug reps bring treats, I save the containers and take the meals in those. Then I don't have to worry about things needed to be returned.
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Just to jump in. I love taking lasanga with french bread, a salad and a dessert. I have also taken some hamburger pockets that my amily likes and then the mother requested the recipe so they must have enjoyed them. For another friend, I went over and started a roast in the crock pot, left a salad and monster cookies for dessert.

I love taking things to people for any occasion.

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  3:27:07 PM  Show Profile
wow love the crockpot roast idea! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What dish do YOU make for neighbors and occasions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page