Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  8:34:27 PM  Show Profile
My mouth watered too! I saw little tomatoes on my plants yesterday! I guess it wan't hot enough to stop them setting fruit. I'm so glad! I did a leaf feeding on every thing in the garden and used so insecticidal soap on my potatoes to get rid of the aphids. I've never had aphids on my potatoes before. My beans are behind yours. They are just now sending out their side shoots but they look really healthy.
Has any one grown garlic that lives in the south? I want to try again this fall ( I think?) and need to know what kind will do well for us.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile
My tomatoes plants are just now perking up from the floods. I hope for a ripe one before the frost!lol.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  7:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Floods. Wow. Hard to imagine them. How bad was it there, Lea? I had not heard. Surely you will have rioe tomatoes soon now. What else do you have?

I saw a squash flower this morning!! One little flower. So cool. I hope to have way more.

Connie, I would love to grow garlic. I will probably try some this fall. I'll read about how to do it.

I got some begonias and vinca to plant around my new little lettuce bed. Got them planted and watered with manure tea. They looked a little puny. Hope it helps. Also my little tiny cucumbers are starting to take off. Finally. So slowly but surely the garden is growing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  8:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris we have been eating lettuce and green onions. I wont have cucumbers this year and that means no pickles but thats ok it could be worse. We have jalepenos, and bell peppers,cantalope and watermelon, sweet corn, potatoes,zuchinni,green beans,cabbage,broccoli and tomatoes. The normal garden stuff. I lost the peas and it was too hot to replant them. I am about an hr from Joplin and after seeing that it made the lost veggies seem so trivial, ya know?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile
Lea, I didn't realize you are so close to Ms. Taht was so bad. We had several tornadoes back in April here and it is still a mess in most places. I was up on Lookout Mt. to get my grands the other day and I was shocked at all the damage up there. ON the mountain. Total destruction in so many places.

Your garden sounds good. I can't wait to get a whole meal from the garden soon.

I saw some beet roots just now in the no til garden!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  5:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,
My mom lives in Menlo/Summerville Georgia near Desoto Falls. Sounds like you are not too far from there if my Georgia geography is right.

We have been lucky with 2 inches of rain today. We had a good rain on Saturday night too. We were so busy last summer that we really gave up on our garden, but this year we are back in the GAME!

I weed every Saturday morning and we thought we'd treat ourselves this weekend and buy a new tiller. Little did we know that we'd be buying a tractor this week as well...UGH...I guess I"ll never quit my corporate job to work the farm full time.[:(

All the plants look great in the garden...loving the rain...beans, squash, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, corn and potatoes. I absolutely cannot wait to start canning. Oh and I can't forget my cukes!

Happy Gardening Farmgirls!

Farmgirl Sister #2574
www.redgategal.blogspot.com

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  6:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Hey Danielle. I am not too far from Summerville or Menlo. My vet is in Summerville. About 25 miles up the mountain then back down again.

Yep, it's actually been raining here a few hours now!!!! I know everything out there is sucking this up and so happy right now. It's also thundering and the sky is lighting up. My little granddaughter is at camp up the road from me and she is terrified of storms. I called earlier to check on her and she was in the kitchen with the camp director. I told them to call if they think I need to come get her. I don't want her to have a bad experience and hate camp forever. And I just heard a loud clap of thunder. She won't even do a rain dance anymore since the tornadoes in April. I hope she's ok. I know I am going to worry about her all night.

But we surely do need this rain. And it's a good steady rain too. I am so thankful.

I wish we could get a tractor. They are so expensive. Even used ones. I hope you don't have to work the rest of your life for this one. But I'm sure your hubby is a happy man right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  6:39:20 PM  Show Profile
I just planted some more squash and zuc down the corn rows. And had to replant 2 rows of okra. And planted some red pole beans in the corn. I only had about 12 seeds someone sent me last year. I hope they will grow. I also had some acorn squash someone else sent me last year. I hope it will grow too. It should. Everything looks so much better after that rain last night.

I hope evryone is having a great evening. Frogs are craoking and birds twittering. Nice night.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  07:02:03 AM  Show Profile
Me and Kansas picked beans this morning! And some collard greens and brocolli. There are a few almost ripe tomatoes I'll wait a few more days on. And the squash has all decided to flower at the same time. It sure is pretty. But my goodness, I'll be swimming in it soon. Still no flowers on the zuc yet. It looks like it might rain today again. It did yesterday. Still wet and muddy out there! Nice for pulling weeds. I won't have to water!

I saw some Swiss Chard coming up too. No lettuce yet but it was from a few years ago. I am still hoping. I planted it in the shade.

So we are going to have fresh green beans, collard greens and the chicken that I butchered Thursday with potatoes and fresh onions. And I am making bread and rolls too. SO all food I have grown and raised here.

I hope y'all are getting good fresh food from the gardens now. What's for dinner?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  6:02:19 PM  Show Profile
I found 2 small tomatoes on the plants!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Lea, that's great. What are you going to do with them? I need some bacon so I can make my favorite sandwich. I bought some good sourdough bread at the farmer's market today. And I got 6 tomatoes just now. I just need bacon.

And I have seen lots of little tiny squash and a little zuc as I was watering tonight! I know in a few days they will be big enough to pick. ANd I bought some squash today from the market.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile

My favorite thing to do in the garden is to sit in this chair with a big glass of iced tea!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  7:38:59 PM  Show Profile
That looks nice, Elaine. I love those chairs. I don't have chairs in my garden because I could never sit in it. I would always see something that needed to be done and have to get right up. I do have chairs and a table under the big maple tree in the yard though. Away from the garden so I can sit. I have been making cherry limeaides. They are so good on a hot day under the shade tree. I also have been putting mint in my tea. It's good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  9:29:41 PM  Show Profile
watermelon lemonade..........yum paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  04:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone get Paula Deen's magazine? This new one is FULL of good recipes. And she has some really good drink recipes. One is a watermelon cooler. I think I am going to try every recipe in this one. Lots of blueberry and figs too.

It's a nice breezy morning but I am sopping wet just from feeding the animals and milking the goats. Just drippin'. I don't want to go back out there again. But me and Kansas need to go get my windshield fixed this afternoon and then go see if the blueberry farm has ripe blueberries. Then a friend called the other day and said his Temptation corn is ready to pick. So we'll go there on the way home and pick corn this evening.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  3:57:46 PM  Show Profile
ok. So like..iam sweating and sun burned and I am not in the garden..whats wrong with this picture? It's a 103degrees!. Just walking to garden..hot..oh ya..winds blowing hot air..instant burn.. I had to shade zucchini..wilting no matter how much water..combination of heat and wind wilts them bad.. I think maybe this is last year to garden anything.it used to rain couple times during the summer, but not anymore.paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  6:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Paula, I remember reading Animal, Vegetable, Mineral when Barbaraa and her family lived in Arizona. I would think it would be a very hard place to have a garden unless you had good irrigation. And lots of shade. Ihope the garden makes it.

Mine is really wet right now. It's great to pull weeds but I am sinking. I went out and pulled weeds from around my pole beans and put some longer poles on one of them. The beans all have runners. And I picked a squash and a zuc! And 3 more bell peppers. need to put them in the freezer.

I mowed all around the garden this evening. I love how pretty it looks when it's all nice and neat and mowed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  8:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Arizona IS rough for summer gardening. It's a huge challenge to keep everything moist enough to keep producing. I pretty much hang the hose nozzle on the fence and move it around so it "rains" on my corn and peas all day to keep it cool enough to fruit. I'm starting to see corn silk poking out of pockets on my stalks, I've got a hundred baby watermelons the size of my thumb, two pumpkins the size of baseballs and one twice that. No cuckes yet, and my beans... I dunno. I think something is munching them so they're not growing well, and I'm not sure I should expect any beans. As long as I get corn and melons at this rate, I'm perfectly happy!
I'm completely redesigning my back yard plan for next year. Next time round I'm doing my peas all along the east side of the chain link fence, two rows of corn along the east and west back yard fences, beans in the shade off the back porch's bed, keeping tomatoes peppers and eggplants in big porch pots, making a squash/zucc bed along the pool fence, and setting up the plot I did this year as a giant melon patch broken up in quarters. Early watermelons, late melons, cantaloupe, and honeydews.

I've also got plans for potatoes in giant barrel drums, a strawberry patch, and a new raised bed for root and salad veggies.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  08:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, now I need an umbrella to garden these days. Rain practically every day now. Great for pulling weeds. I went out after a little storm and it was still sprinkling a little. I pulled some weeds, put the running beans on the stickes they are supposed to climb up, picked some tomatoes, zuc, bell peppers, collard greens. The sweet potato vines are several feet long now. The zinnias are about a foot tall. I had to tie up some more tomato plants that were falling over. Next year I will not use cages. Those things are worthless on 8' tall tomato plants. In a few days I should have enough tomatoes to make some sauce! I have a wooden cutting board full right now. And I am putting the peppers in the freezer chopped up. I picked some beans the other day but only a pot full. Not much going on with them right now. Very slow. And they are not Blue Lake Bush beans because most are trying to run and they have strings. I am not happy about that. I have 4 more rows coming on too. So lots going on it the garden now. And all the squash and zuc I planted in between the corn has ALL come up. ANd the cucumbers are finally taking off too.

Jen, sounds like you are already busy with next years garden. That's a good thing to do. You know what works and where things like to be or not be. That's what I do too.

Kirs

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile
I must be weeks behind you Kris. My beans have not flowered yet. I have tiny green tomatoes. I will say this is the lushest garden I have ever had. Everything is so green and sturdy. I'm glad I limited my varieties in the garden this year because it looks like we won't be moving till sometime in mid July. I do miss having so many different things to watch grow and the harvest to look forward to. I'm enjoying hearing about everyone else's variety!
We are wet here too. I spent all day Saturday pulling weeds in my flower beds and putting the last mulch in the garden. We put down last years compost between the rows,covered that with cardboard boxes and then put mulch on top of that. Next year we will turn that all under. Thank goodness we did that or we would not be able to walk in there right now because of the mud.
Any one fighting the Japanese beetles? We don't have as many as in years past but it may still be early. The ones we have seem a little smaller than usual too. Time will tell!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

SKVining
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Sandra
Beaverton Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  10:09:56 AM  Show Profile
I read all you girls are talking about and think I must live on the moon We had cold weather then we went to 3 weeks of heat that would cook anything in its way then we moved on to total rains Welcome to Michigan I did pick some radishs . WOW We are so far behind we will be picking at Christmas Well not true my Amish friend had beautiful strawberrys I got 30 Qt. I was worrted it maybe all I'd have A very few peas are coming 6 tomatos plants 2 Peppers It would almost be funny if it was't so sad Have some flowers finally coming up I must have flowers Have to see what comes our way in the next couple of weeks Planted beans again I think everything was a trail run the first time Love to hear about your tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sandra
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2011 :  10:32:53 AM  Show Profile
It has been a crazy weather year hasn't it? It will be interesting to see how the rest of it goes. I hope we have a late first frost to make up for the late spring. I'm usually harvesting beans right up to Halloween.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile
I have picked enough green beans to can! I am doing it tomorrow. Plus gave some away and will be eating some. I hope to have more to can soon. I am so excited!

And my cucumber plants are growing like crazy and the cantaloupe and watermelons too. I hope to get enough tomatoes to make sauce and ketchup soon. I am well pleased with my garden so far. We had another storm last night. It poured for over half an hour.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile
The weather here has been crazy as well. Similar to what they had in Michigan (I'm in WI. My spinach bolted before the leaves even got big enough to pick to eat! The radishes are almost big enough to start picking. I chose a late heirloom variety so that is why I still don't have my radishes! The other early season crops have had a late start but thanks to the cool 2 weeks of rain the end of June really helped them get started, then we got this hot heat wave and it's really helped my sweet corn and squash and pretty much everything grow including the weeds! I got half the garden weeded and looking nice, now I have to finish the other half! I can't wait to work in my garden this evening!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  6:58:49 PM  Show Profile
So I got 7 quarts of beans canned today! I greased the lid along the seal and it went right on this time, no problem. I'll have to remember that next time I can. Beans are about the easiest thing to can for me. ANd I love beans.

Krystle, the rain sure did boost my garden. I had been watering by hand and it was just barely growing. But when the rains came I could almost see things taking off and growing. And really fast. My corn has grown several feet in the past few weeks.

I pulled some beets today. I think I will be roasting them tomorrow. I love beets. I will have to plant more in Aug.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page