Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile
I have got to get out there in my garden first thing in the morning. I have to mulch some more and water like crazy and plant some more. I found some heirloom cantaloupe and watermelon and some other things. And lots of watering will be going on. On the way home this afternoon something hit the windshield. It was rain! A few drops anyway. I actually had to put my wipers on for a second. We need rain SO bad here. The grass is crunchy and the ground is cracking. I was watering with my well water a few days ago and it was getting slower and slower. I had to stop.

Sp Jen, what actually is maize? Can you eat it like regular corn? I am so jealous that you already have zucs. Mine are still growing but no flowers yet. I know when they do I will be overrun with them. Sounds like your garden is doing really good.

Angie, I was trying to think of some weird things I have grown. I think Zephyr zuc squash is some pretty strange stuff. Pretty but strange. I grew some a few years ago and took it to the market. People didn't know what to think of it.

Tammy, our strawberries are gone here already. But those first ones are the best ever. I always try to get that very first one but if the grands are here I will share it. I hope you get lots more. I sure wish I had gotten more for the freezer.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile
I got out early this morning and planted canteloupe, watermelon, lettuce and Swiss chard. And watered everything really good. I saw some okra and corn coming up. Oh, I also planted 2 1/2 rows of Hickory King corn too. Later this afternoon I'll go back out and plant some squash and zuc under the pole bean teepees. And when the corn gets up higher I will plant some in the corn too. I am amazed at how much more I am planting in this one garden. I can plant closer together and in between the mulched rows. I hate to see this next water bill. It will have where I left the water running all night on it. Plus all the watering I have to do every day. It's gonna be a bog one.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  1:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris, according to wikipedia, Maize is a word interchangable with corn.

I think what they are growing out here and calling "maize" is actually a heritage corn they raise for its hardiness and drought resistance. I'm not sure what purpose the commercial farms raise it for, but I believe it's a sweet corn. The ears are a bit shorter, and the leaves are larger and more rough.

This is the first year I've gardened much to speak of in the effort of producing food, so I went generic in my choices while I chose what worked. I'm planning on continuing my patch throughout the year as we can do so in zone 10, and next spring I'm going to get more creative with variety and heritage seeds.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  2:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jen. I have never seen maize before but have heard of it. I would like to try some. I have tried popcorn before but never had luck with it.

Me and the grand went outside to go get the hose to put water in Mazie's water bucket and Kansas saw a snake like 2 feet from us. I was unhooking the hose and looked over and there it was. I took off running with Kansas right behind me. ran to the house. Got mad and grabbed a shovel and went back out and now can't find the darn thing. Now there's a darn live snake somewhere out there and I am afraid to go outside now. Darn, I hate snakes. Why are there snakes in the world anyway? My cow needs water and I am afraid to go outside now. ANd my lamb is outback in the barn and the chickens and goats too. What am I going to do now? Shoot! And I wanted to go back out in the garden again later. But not now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:36:40 PM  Show Profile
If you dont have any rodents and your coop is snake proof it will probably take off since there's nothing around to eat. I hate the buggars too >_<

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Do what I did. Buy some knee high leather work boots! And never never put my hands where I can't see.
I had to come to grips with the fact they are there even if I can't see them and adjust my behavior. I hate being surprised by them more than I hate them. My visceral reaction is fear for sure.
I'm not sure there is much we can do about it out in the country with animals to feed. The mice are drawn to our feed and the snakes come to eat the mice. I'm not crazy about mice either.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  6:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I always freeze my berries as we pick them and when I have enough, then i make jam. My DD even commented when we picked them that we should probably freeze them, but I told her the first ones from the garden are the best to eat. I have a recipe for Strawberry-Blueberry freezer jam that she loves.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  8:00:41 PM  Show Profile
I just wrote about my dogs adventure tonight on the Barnyard thread. Y'all go check it out. That snake is toast right now. And it was not a black snake. It was only a few feet long and had a pattern. It's too dark out now to see it but if it's still there by the gate in the morning, I will try to make myself look at it. I think it is a rattlesnake. I hope Bubba's ok. He got it though. What a dog!

I like mice and rats and every other kind of rodent. I do not like snakes. All afternoon I was looking for that snake too. With a hoe in one hand. I went ahead and mowed the yard and garden. Looking the whole time. I mowed around the barn too. And the front coop. Just so I can see what's out there.

Tammy, I have froze strawberries but did not get enough this year. I am going to go blueberry picking soon. I have to have at least 6 gallons of them in the freezer for the grands. I would love to see your recipe if you'd like to share it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  8:08:08 PM  Show Profile
You go girl! I know it was not easy to get out there and mow. Check out that snake and let us know what it was!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  04:49:51 AM  Show Profile
We have lots of snakes this year. Keeping all mowed short. I guess the flooding last month brought them all out. No rain now just hot but alminac said that would be our summer. I poured compost tea on tomatoes and they loved that. I would like to find a variety I never heard of before this spring and now lots of folks are talking about it. It is an heirloom called the Cherokee Tomatoe. They say its skin is dark and the tomatoe has a smokey flavor. Doesnt that sound like it would be good on cold cut sandwhiches? Probably too late for this year unless I find a plant to buy but I can keep my eyes open for next years garden!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  06:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Lea- I found them at the co-op and saw them at Lowes and Home depot too. They used to be hard to find around here but not anymore! They can be grown from seed too.
My pole beans are over 7 feet tall and filling out side shoots. The second set are right behind at about 5 feet. I hope the japanese beetles are not to bad this year. I spent hours picking them off last time I grew beans. In this high 90s heat I dread them. Speaking of heat, I'm afraid the tomatoes won't set fruit it is so hot. Anyone further south noticing problems with fruit set? I assume y'alls plants are further along than mine. They have just started flowering.
Connnie

Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  5:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Kris, The recipe I use for Strawberry-Blueberry Freezer Jam is right off of the little direction sheet in the Sure-Jell powdered pectin box. Here are the amounts. The usual, add the sugar to the fruit let stand 10 minutes. Prepare pectin and water in pan, bring to boiling, boil 1 minute on high heat stirring constantly. Mix pectin and fruit mixture. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy.

1 1/2 cups crushed strawberries
1 cup chopped blueberries
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 package powdered pectin

You know the one I mean don't you...the yellow box? The flavor is really good.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Tammy. I am going to go back to Aldi to get more strawberries. Then there is a huge place called the Blueberry farn in Ringgold not too far away. I need to see if theirs are ready to pick yet.

I am SO tired of watering already. I was watering tonight and the pressure kept getting slower and slower. I was using the city water too. It finally almost stopped running. It was like the time I was using the well water. It almost ran out. So now I am wondering if that's well water too. Hmmm...

I ate 2 ripe cherry tomatoes today. They are so good. And I see little flowers trying to open up on my squash and zuc. So I hope to have some soon.

Kansas helped put DE on the poor little pole beans. They are just riddled with holes already and only a few inches tall so far.
And my hands hurt from pulling all those evil weeds out there. But this is the prettiest garden I have had in a long time so far. I am really pleased with it right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  9:11:59 PM  Show Profile
hi all, my tomatoes have lots of blooms, but no tomatoes..it started with the way to hot weather...so I guess I will get them closer to fall when weather breaks. Squashes going good. Harvesting lots of herbs.. Drying them for later. Wishing for rain, but that may never come.....paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  06:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Paula- I'm afraid my tomatoes won't set either. It is in the high 90's every day. I hope my beans set. I planted 62 feet of them this year! Most of my garden is beans. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile
As we were driving home awhile ago, it was pouring rain. I had to slow down because the road was so full of water. We got about 1/4 mile from the house and it's dry as a bone here. I think we got 5 rain drops. Thunder and lightening all over and I couldn't even see Pigeon Mt. So it looks like everywhere right around us go rain except us. I am so upset. I was so happy on the way home thinking of all this nice rain for the garden. Then nothing here at all. I could just cry. But at least others got rain they needed badly.

Mt tomato plants are just loaded with green tomatoes right now. I did get a few cherry ones so far. I can hardly wait for ripe tomatoes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Kris I am so glad you have tomatoes! Mine didn't start blooming until after the heat set in. Sorry you didn't get rain. Maybe it will be your turn next time! It rains like that here too. Sometimes we can see it raining the next hill over while we stand there dry as a bone. It is frustrating.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, today I drained my entire swimming pool to clean it, and my garden got one heck of a drink in it's little corner!

I now browse the garden center everytime I go to my local walmart. I see a lot of local plants there (I bought a sweet basil plant on sale that is from a plant farm LITERALLY across the street from my house, there's an address on the pot and everything. I also picked up a bell pepper that is a bit larger than the sprouts I have, and an eggplant to try out... for some reason not only have I never grown them before, I've never EATEN one either.

I've got a couple things on my list I want to try in next year's garden, including Dulcinea and moon & stars watermelons, and stevia, which I hear is an excellent natural sweetener that you grow like an herb.

I'm harvesting about 4 zucc's a day now, I made 2 loaves of zucchini cranberry bread, and I think I'll try out zucchini pancakes for lunch tomorrow. Each of the young zuccs are yeilding a half a cup of grated zucchini so I better figure out some good recipes to use it up as fast as it comes in! next on the experiment list is zucchini sweet relish. Wish me luck! I figure I'll start assembly lining muffins and bread to freeze in bulk before the season is out.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  8:59:24 PM  Show Profile
I finished making my little lettuce and Swiss chard bed tonight. It's under the big cedar tree in the garden. I had the cows there last year and put hay bales under the tree. Some of the old hay was still there so I cleaned it up and put rocks all around it and planted Eruption lettuce and Swiss chard. I have to put that black plastic netting over it til it comes up good because I still have 6 game hens and a roo that are loose. And about toward evening they hop over the fence and scratch around the garden and compost. So to be on the safe side, I cover all I can with netting til it gets big enough. But the new bed looks so nice with all the rocks around it. It's in the shade so the lettuce should be ok in this heat.

This is the nicest garden think I have ever had. I am able to weed and mulch and plant more than I thought I could. I am really liking this. I really don't even mind watering. Except that I have so far to go to turn the water on and off. kansas is a big help with that. And I have to unhook hoses to water the flowers and plants in the yard. I used well water tonight for that. I didn't feel so bad watering with the well water. It's free and it's so much better than city water.

So I am just enjoying working in my garden this year. I go out when I want and do a little here and there. No hurry. I am thinking I will have some beans soon. So I will be canning them. Then I'll have squask and zuc. Oh, and I saw some little brocollis on a few of the plants! There is nothing like fresh picked brocolli. I love it.

It really is sad to see rain right up the road and it not come here to my place. But I know they need rain there too. There was a little organic farm over the ridge a few years back. They finally had to move because when it rained it would never rain where they were. It would be all over but never there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way Kris. I've planted fewer kinds of things this year and more of the things we eat the most of because of not being at the farm full time. What I have is looking so good. The weather has been crazy but it seems to have been good for the garden.
I can't wait to be back on the farm so I can do early morning tours of the garden before my day really gets going.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile
I am taking the kids to the Chatt. market today and am going to look for some flowers to put around the outer edge of the lettuce garden. I was out there this morning and thought it needed sometimg. How much longer before you are back on the farm?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile
The move date seems to be a moving target itself! We have been held up another week cause the floor guy took a vacation. I'm being told July 4th weekend. I'm planning middle of July. I'm so tired of being disappointed I'm adding two weeks to what ever they say. I'm headed out there now to sweep for the floor guy. He is supposed to come tomorrow. : )
Hope you find the flowers you want. That will be pretty with the lettuce in the middle!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh, honey bees!! I have lots of clover in my lawn and I hate to cut it because of that. And I have seen lots of honey bees in the clover! I am so happy to see them again. I did not see any honey bees til last fall when I was picking wild flowers in the field. I was worried they were all gone out here. But they are alive and well here in my yard. They will be happy here because I don't use pesticides. Well, I do have to on the apple trees sometimes. And I use DE on the beans. And that's not bad.

Also have seen tons of ladybugs too. Another great bug to have around. I remember my dad used to buy them by the hungreds to put on the gardens. Also he would buy praying mantis'. I love them. I have seen some here but they are sort of not a bug you can just see hanging around like a ladybug.

Connie, don't work too hard and have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2011 :  6:55:59 PM  Show Profile
There seem to be more of every insect this year. I have lots of bumble bees, lady bugs, butterflies and of course ticks this year. Many more than normal. And my garden is amazing too. I have never had better looking tomato plants.
This has been a crazy spring but the garden and bugs seem to like it!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  7:22:58 PM  Show Profile
I was out watering tonight and saw canteloupe and watermelon sprouts already!!!! How fun! And some more cucumbers too. And I got a ripe Mt. Fresh tomato!!!!!! Yum. I wish I had some bacon now because I have some really good sourdough bread. I'll get some while I'm out tomorrow. Gotta have a bacon and tomato sammich. Oh, my mouth is watering!

It sure takes a long time to water that garden. I have over 60 tomato plants. Long time to water. Plus everything else. I got to squirt the grand while I was doing it though.

I will be picking beans in a few weeks. I saw one tonight. I can hardly wait. Then tomatoes. The zuc looked a little funny. I hope it makes it. Still no flowers on them or the squash. But I did see a beet under the beet leaves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page