Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  06:25:01 AM  Show Profile
That is wonderful Kris! I can't wait for mine to come in. How are your tomatoes? My Roma and cherry tomatoes look great but none red yet. My Cherokee Purples are sick. I think it may be leaf spot. They are still flowering and have small green tomatoes on them so maybe I'll get some before they give out. I guess they don't have resistance to what ever they have. Looks like tomatoes will be moved to the front field next year. Hopefully that will help.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2011 :  09:42:05 AM  Show Profile
I am hearing some thunder toward the west. I don't like when it comes from that way. Always fierce. I was just going to mow the other side of the yard too. Oh well. I did get this side over here mowed yesterday.

It is HOT. And I am making bread. I forgot to add the yeast with everything else and when it was done with the first rise I took it out and it was just sitting there like when I first put it in. So back to the mixer with yeast and back in the oven to rise again. So 3 rises later, I am ready to put the rolls in the oven. The bread still needs to rise some more. And I have some hungry kids here.

Connie, I have some CP too and I have not seen tomatoes on them yet. I am going to look real good later. Teh Green Zebras a pretty full though. Can't wait to try them. I have good things about them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  11:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Woot! I should be eating my first watermelon by next weekend. My corn all has nice ears going, and I've got watermelons and honeydew growing on the vine, and I'm harvesting zucchini, sugar peas and lettuce as much as I want them. Wish I was set up to can so I could put all my zuccs to use :(

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  1:13:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a squash setting on one of my plants! Its a Coosa squash and its the one type of squash that is doing absolutely excellent in my garden this year! My patty pan is not looking too well. The peas are blossoming (finally!) my bush beans look like they are getting ready to start blossoming but my pole beans are still growing taller! I checked my radishes last night and they are growing very well, I would like to put in another crop so I can have a fall crop to harvest too since they are such a long growing radish. My lettuce is finally starting to take off as well, won't be long before I start having salads! I tried some Galilean spinach and it bolted before it ever got leaves. . . Not too impressed with my wasted space. I will just plant with more lettuce and radishes. I am skipping on harvesting my onions because I want nice bulbs to store this winter so I will just get my green onions from the farmer's market! I'm disappointed in how my peppers and tomatoes are growing. I think this soil has a virus, going to do some research on it. We just moved here last winter and the garden was idle for a year but after I do some research hopefully I can figure something out. My sweet corn is doing fabulous thanks to this heatwave and humidity!!!! It's almost waist high!!! I can't wait for fresh sweet corn from the garden! I love hearing how everyone's gardens are doing around the country, it's so neat to hear how staggered the growing seasons are from state to state!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  06:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- I am so jealous of your lovely garden! I wish mine were as far along as yours is! I haven't gotten anything but swiss chard yet- but it looks like I am on the cusp of the production cycle. In about a month I should be able to start canning some tomatoes at least! I didn't get my beans in the ground this year. I am so disappointed. I better see what I can plant for a fall harvest!

Do you winter sow or does it get too warm down there for that?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2011 :  6:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Watermelon by next weekend? Wow. Mine are just starting to get a few more leaves. I did plant them late though. And the cantaloupes too. But lucky you! I hope they are wonderful and juicy.

Krystle, your garden sounds so nice. I also have some space that's not being used right now. I am thinking about planting some collards. I love them. And I have some shady spots I want to plant some lettuce. Sounds like you will ahve some corn soon too.

Alee, my garden has just now started really growing. My corn is tasseling, finally! And I am picking lots of green beans and tomatoes. I will be making some sauce tomorrow. And canning more beans in the next few days. I have 4 rows that are starting to get beans. I usually plant fall things starting in August. Like cabbage, brussels sprouts, lettuce, spinach, squash and zuc, beets and lots of greens. They do really good here because the season goes to about the end of Nov. for most things. I have planted corn and beans later also. Sounds like yours is doing good too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile
I was starting to feel a little jealous of all of the yummy things that you are all harvesting so far. My garden seems to be just getting started. Then I looked behind our shed out back and found these! No more whining from me.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kim, those are so pretty. I bet they are so good too. What will you do with them all?

I have to pick beans later this evening. It's 100 right now and I ain't goin' out there til I have to. I have alot of beans that need picked. I will can them tomorrow. And do some tomato sauce too. I want some peaches bad. I want to wait til the freestone peaches come in. There were lots at the market yesterday but they aren't freestone yet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  6:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd try cherry pie filling.
It will be a while before the major canning will begin here. Never canned beans, always froze them but I would like to try canning them. I am anxious to can tomatoes since we are out of tomatoes and salsa.

Kristin, I hope it cools off enough for you to get your picking and canning done.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  8:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh my those cherries look good! I'd love to do some cherry preserves like my Granny used to make. My mouth is watering!

I picked the first beans today. Just a couple of handfuls really. By end of the week they will be in for sure. I so hope I get enough to last through till next years crop. I found the packing box I had put the pressure canner in and un packed it. On moving day it will ride to the farm in the Jeep loaded with all I need to can my first jars of beans. I'll have the first set going before the movers unload the last truck! We have had a running joke about what the first meal I will cook in the new kitchen will be. Laugh is on us! First thing cooked will be pressure canning beans. Moving on Friday! YEA!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  10:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Connie, how fun! I'm glad you are getting beans now. And a farmgirl's gotta do what a farmgirl's gotta do, right? And that's farm stuff. And providing for her family all this good food. I am so happy for you!

I am canning beans right now. Just got 7 quarts out of the canner and put in 5 more. So 12 quarts today! And I need to go pick in the other 4 rows tonight. I put Kansas in the YMCA summer camp a few days a week. They are at the swimming pool now. My mom lives right behind it and came home from work and saw her. She just called me to tell me. So I have a HWOLE day to myself! My Dd will pick her up for me at 6. Then she will go back on Friday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  11:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Kris, My boys went to the YMCA summer camp too. They loved it and I sure enjoyed the break! I'm glad Kansas had that opportunity this summer. You are a good Grandma. They need to socialize at that age and it will help her take her mind off her troubles. Sure wish I was swimming today. It is awful here. 98 degrees, 79% humidity =118 heat index! Jeeze! I'm wet within minutes of going outside. Air feels like you could swim in it.
I hope I'm right behind you on the number of canning jars of beans. I'll can all we grow and hope it is enough. I have grown kids that want some too. My rule is the more they help the more they can have! My new DIL says she wants to help can. I'm looking forward to that. Snapping those beans alone takes forever.
I just remembered that I was snapping beans when we landed on the moon! We were all on the back porch and ran in to watch. Is that a farmgirl memory or what?!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile
I pulled my first watermelon today, hopefully it's done! It'd be a shame to waste it if it wasn't ready just yet :( I also harvested all the peas I could find in the patch, and there's more zucchini out there just mocking me. My prolific tomato has slowed way down and may be spent. It's taken on a distinct yellow tinge compared to the younger plants nearby (same amount of water)I don't know what I'll get out of my peppers if anything, but hey, my eggplant is exploding with developing fruit and responding extremely well to the heat. I've got a dozen developing watermelons bigger than baseballs right this second, and a honeydew that it approx half as large as it should be. I'm not seeing cantaloups setting up just yet, but theres a ton of blossoms.
I have learned SO much this year and am bursting at the seams to get next years garden started. I'm thinking that when the weather cools in late september I'll get the new beds turned and my strawberry patch started if I can find any crowns.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  5:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Jen, Folks around here make pickled watermelon rind. I never have made it but I have eaten it. It is very sweet and tart. I'd bet you could find a recipe on line. Only thing that would get wasted would be the seeds unless you saved them for next years garden then there would be no waste! LOL
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I love watermelon rind pickles! They are so good and crunchy. I'll have to find a good recipe. Have y'all seen the square watermelons? I can't remember where I saw them but that is the coolest thing I have ever seen so far. I guess you could make anything square now. I have the biggest tomato on my Mortgage Lifter plant out there right now I bet weighs 5 or more pounds. I am babying that thing. I have the plastic netting around that plant just in case. So far it's nearly perfect. And so pretty. I have never had such a big tomato. And I have been letting my chickens out.

Kansas had a ball today. She's tired but won'y admit it. I'll take her back Friday and I'll have another day all to myself because I won't have to go to Mrs. T's. Her daughter is here visiting. So 2 whole days without a kid. But then that evening I have to get the other 2 grands and then the hubby will probably be home for the weekend too. Yippee!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2011 :  8:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Square? I haven't seen that. Sure would make them easier to slice and store!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  04:05:43 AM  Show Profile

Success! First zuchini. (of many I am sure)

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  05:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I have to smile about that picture. Reminds me of a proud parent! As you should be too! This year has been such a hard garden year I think we all are thrilled for each other when we have a success.
Here's to many more!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Now that looks like some zuc bread zuc to me. I can't get mine to grow. They are too shaded I think. I have gotten a few but they aren't doing too well. I have more growing in the sun so I hope they will get big like that one. I love zuc bread.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
I just picked about 5 gallons of beans. And a half bushel of tomatoes. And some squash. My cantaloupe vines are looking good and the few watermelon plants are too. The cucumber plants are finally growing too. Maybe I'll get some in about a week. But we have had rain so much. We got a LOT of rain last night. I was thinking about 7 last night that I should go ahead and milk the goats but then thought I needed to wait til at least 8. About then it just started pouring. For over an hour. It poured hard. So then I had to do chores and feed and milk in the rain. I;ll know next time. So now I need to can beans and tomatoes. Also bought a half bushel of really good peaches that I need to put up. I made 5 half pints of peach-blueberry freezer jam yesterday. And we have been eating them alot. They are good. Also made 14 half pints of blackberry jelly too yesterday.

What have y'all been up to in your gardens this week? Any canning going on? I think Connie is moving this weekend so I am sure she's busy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  11:52:46 AM  Show Profile
I need canning stuff bad :( at least I knopw what to ask for for Christmas this year.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Canning stuff is getting higher and higher. I just bought a bunch of lids I hope to last till I am done canning. I have enough jars. Look at yard sales for canning things. I bought my little black hot water bath canner for just $5. Well worth it. And lots of times people have jars for sale too.

I just picked about 3/4 of a bushel of tomatoes. They are not totally ripe yet but I went ahead and picked them because I see some pecks already on some of them. I guess the bad chickens have been in there. Or birds maybe. I do see lots of Mockingbirds around. But I do have 8 hens free ranging. 2 are Buffs that did not go back in the coop. The other 6 are the game hens. I was just saying I was going to let the rest of the chickens out when the tomatoes are all done. I hate penning them up but I would have NO tomatoes at all if they were out.

I will can these tomatoes then start selling the rest. I will have plenty of sauce now. And beans too. I have plenty for this next year so will sell the rest too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  12:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Jen, supposedly the way to tell if melons are ready to pick is when they come off the vine with very little effort. If you have to "pull" it off it probably isn't ready yet.

I am so jealous of all the produce you ladies are getting from your gardens already! We have been SOOO hot here that everything is kinda struggling. I have been getting summer squash but that is about it. I posted a garden update on my blog today with some pictures! Hope you can stop by for a look! :)

http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/07/garden-update.html

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Jen, I just noticed you have a blog. I went and it is so cute. And you are quite funny. Great story teller. You had me on the first line.

Candy, we had a great day here today. It was actually COOL! No humdity. I went ahead and mowed, against my better judgement. But the week looks pretty busy and the way the grass is growing, it would be a jungle for sure by the time I got a chance to mow again. SO I did it. And I was a bit sweaty. But it is the middle of july. I did mow the yards Thursday but they already needed it again. ANd the garden was really high. So that's done again for a few days. I have never seen grass grow so fast before.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  1:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodness Kristin up here in WI we get a little humidity but it's been so humid you can actually see it! Makes me wonder if that is a taste of what it is like down in the south? The humidity has been doing wonderful things to the garden! I ate my first bean AND peas today! In a few days I will be able to harvest them! The sweet corn is starting to ear and starting to see the tassles and my coosa squash is almost big enough to pick! I don't mind this humidity one bit, makes me thankful I'm not sitting inside looking at a winter storm ;) I will take whatever weather this summer brings us!

Elaine: I have a recipe for Mock-Apple pie from my Mother in law, it is amazing and no one can tell it's made from zucchini instead of apples!!!! Plus its a nice way to use up those extra zucchini every one always has :) If you would like it I can email it/post it for you!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page