Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile
I went to my friend's farm across the ridge this morning. She has 5 does that were bred to the same buck I used. I wanted to see her kids that have been born so far. I will hopefully get to buy a doeling from her when she's weaned. They also have a market garden and grow plants to sell. I bought a 6 pack of Green Zebra tomatoes, a 6 pack of Cherokee Purple, 2 big Roma, 2 big Mortgage Lifter and 2 big Red Brandywine tomatoes. And a 6 pack of red bell peppers. I got all that for just $10.00!! I am waiting on another friend to come til me some rows for okra, corn and beans and to till the rest of the tomato rows. I will plant these then just mulch really heavy and thick.

I need to replant squash and zuc where I planted in the no til area. I see none yet. I am very disappointed. I hope it will come up when I replant. I have been watering real good each day. But right after I planted those seeds, a rooster came and scratched alot of where I had just planted. So he may have scratched out the seeds. I will do that later this afternoon. It's way too hot right now to do anything outside.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I was definitely sweating out in the garden today. Man, was it hot. But I had so much to do out there that could not wait. I got all the tomatoes and peppers planted yesterday morning. I had gotten 2 more tomato plants yesterday. An orange heirloom. So I laid down my feed bags I had been saving. Then got the old hay and mulched really good. I also gave the new plants a little drink of manure tea. Also mulched some more of the bean rows. I was dripping sweat.

Yesterday I also got 3 more rows of beans and 5 rows of Silver Queen corn planted. Also replanted some zuc seeds. I am seeing lots of squash coming up too! And LOTS of beets poking up through their nicely mulched bed. I am excited to see them. No corn though yet.

And I still have tons of room left to plant. I have got to get the tiller fixed. And I really need to be amending that hard red clay soil. I got 2 bags of mushroom compost and put that in the holes when I plant the plants.

Sat we might get some scattered showers. I will be glad to see some rain again. All this watering takes time. Not to mention money too.

How are all your gardens growing so far?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Today I got my tomatoes transplanted to the big pots, then I put some cantelope and honeydew vines in the bed I just tilled up. For some reason I can't plant ANY seeds in that spot, but transplants take off like wildfire. My big early boy tomato already has about 5 little green fruits on the vine, and my smaller tomato vine has one. I was browsing the garden section at walmart this afternoon and brought home a yellow tomato with red stripes! I haven't told my kids about it but I can't wait for the confusion it's bound to cause! I also brought home 2 nice thornless blackberry canes that look great and planted them in a bare corner in the garden next to the chain link fence so I can hopefully train them up the fence!

I put down a little bed of fertilizer du' Mustang (horse poop, vintage 2010)in the bottom of the holes, then put the bio pots in, and filled in the holes. I've been doing a little weeding and fertilizing my other seedlings a little every day, and I'm slowly moving the clusters of corn my 5 year old planted when she was in a hurry to fill the bare patches in my corn rows-- moving only 2 at a time to make sure they take.
I'll get a picture up in about another week, my rows are so crooked since I had my children help with all the planting, but the fact that our veggie patch is a labor of love with my whole family working together, makes me love it all the more.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  05:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Jen, I love crooked rows! They have so much more character. I have never liked straight lines so all my gardens and rows are a little crooked. Straight lines are boring. It sure sounds like you got a lot done. Some of my tomato plants have small tomatoes on them. I wondered if I shouls take them off. Will it stunt the plant? I had gotten 2 thornless black berry plants last spring and only one made it. The old road where we walk is full of blackberry bushes just loaded with blossoms right now. We will have to take buckets with us when we walk soon. I don't like them myself but hubby does. I like to make jelly but I cannot handle the seeds. When they make seedless blackberries, I will get a bunch.

I just watered really good this morning. I planted cucumber seeds down the middle of the first corn rows I planted a few wees ago. And I saw some zuc! So it's looking' good out there so far. It cooling sown for this weekend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile
I saw a corn coming up where I planted in the no til garden area!! A whole corn plant! That was all I have seen so far. But we have had some good rain and when that sun comes out they are all liable to come out then. I so hope they all come up. I want this to work so much.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  09:59:19 AM  Show Profile
My peas, corn, beans and zucc are really going with a vengeance now.

I got sick of telling my little ones to stay out of the garden (to keep them from stepping on seedlings)so I just dug and tilled a trench along the fence yesterday and gave them a pack of marigolds and bellpeppers I had leftover, so now they have "their" garden. I had a novelty packet of wildflowers and carrots too but now I just can't find them... although the spot was too rocky for carrots anyway.

I planted up more herbs I found in the cupboard, (basil and coriander are all I use--) and I split up my bellpepper seeds and put some in the garden, and some in pots on my porch. I'm not sure if they will like the heat and sun of high summer, or if they'll get scorched and die like tomatoes do, so I have 2 plots of peppers, and 5 pots, so I'm sure with that many tries some will thrive :D
I love cooking with them, and I'll love not having to pay a dollar apiece at the store.

Weeding is a trick. I have this virulent grass that grows in vines along the ground with big tangled roots. They're impossible to pull out, I can really only dig them out with a shovel. I've seen that stuff in particular overtake and strangle out mature trees!

I'll be picking up some miracle grow next week, I really dont have much in the way of bugs, thanks to all the fat lizards I have here for sure. I think my dogs are discouraging the voles and rabbits, I think all I will really have to worry about will be the birds and my horses escaping their paddock to munch.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on May 15 2011 10:03:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Jen, you have to watch those horses for sure. My cow and her calf are right next to my garden. I am constantly having to fix a section of fence where she has tried to get to the grass next to the garden. I am always watching to make sure she doesn't somehow get into the garden area. I have grape vines, blueberry bushes, blackberry, apple trees and pear trees. Plus all the hard work I have put already into the garden. If she got in now I would be very upset. I remember once years ago in another garden, the neighbor's cows got into my garden and ate every stalk of corn. He had chicken houses and gave me 20 pounds of chicken. I would rather have had my corn.

Sounds like you have been busy. I think if you keep the plants watered really good in the heat of the summer, they should be fine. I have to water terra cotta pots a few times a day when it's really hot.

I saw a few more little corns poking up in the no til section today! And all the squash that I planted the first time that I thought wasn't going to come uo so I planted more, is coming up too. So I will have plenty of squash.

I am not going anywhere Monday or Tuesday so I will be working in the garden some more. Mulching and planting. Hope it's going to be a good few days.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  10:50:26 PM  Show Profile
I had a late night trip to a walmart off of my usual path and found
some crimson runner bean seeds!! This is really, absolutely the last crop I'm putting in... I cant wait to trellis them up my fence! and I planted them along the fence line immediately this morning.

ARGH! Kris! In your shoes I'd have said forget the chicken, I want the cows that stole my corn on a plate instead! I'm getting so attached to my first big garden, I think I would have an aneurysm if a neighbor's animal demolished my veggie patch.

I planted my extra snap peas over the bare spot that I tried to put my romain, but I wonder if I see some poking up after all right under my best little pea plants? I try to transplant my thinnings generally (most of them have taken off just fine) but I dont think I'm enough of a surgeon to untangle this one.

I'm very worried about the blackberries I bought, they're looking a bit brown and crinkly around the edges no matter how much water I put out. Figures--- I move from Oregon where you cant get rid of the things without goats or chemicals, and now I can't get healthy ones started to save my life.
I'll do pictures when my bro gets off his duff and mows the back yard. Can't wait to compare them to later in the year.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  3:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Jen, do you have any more of the crimson runner bean seeds? I would love a few. I can't find any here. I have ordered them from Johnneys but am not ordering anything this year.

I seem to remember the guy I bought my 2 black berry plants from said that each year a new vine grows and to cut the old one off. So maybe it's the old part and it needs to be cut off.

I went to the feed store and got some sweet potato vines. I planted them in between my tomatoes in the mulch. I'll see what happens. Also got 2 packs of Swiss chard. Got them planted with my broc. I also found some zinnia seeds and will get them planted out there somewhere tomorrow. And some Kentucky Wonder pole beans. I want to do the tee pees. That looks so cool in a garden and goodness knows I have plenty of long sticks laying everywhere.

So I will be busy in the garden tomorrow. I am staying home and working. There's so much to be done. And I have to finish mowing too. Oh, I also got 2 more fig trees! I had bought one last year and it's doing so well, I thought I'd get 2 more to keep it company. So gotta get them planted too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile
oo! Fig trees! I've never eaten figs before but as I recall the trees are really pretty.
I don't have any more seeds left, I let my kids plant them along all the fences, but they were just packs of ferry morse seeds from walmart. My regular store didnt have them (they got rid of the seasonal seed stand already) but the super walmart in the city had them on a regular display in the indoor garden aisles near the grass seed way on the end. I almost didnt look there because it looked like it was only grass seeds but I'm glad I did!

My orange trees are covered with little green baby oranges, my grape vines have hundreds of bunches of little green grape buds. Last year I lost all my oranges to the appaloosa horse we had tethered out there for grass, and lost the grapes to all the birds! I have one of my dogs tied out near the grapes now to scare the birds and voles away so I should get more out of them.
The peach tree that gave me hundreds of pounds of peaches last year was a casualty to the colder than usual winter and only a little bit of the tree still looks alive. I'll be shocked if I get any fruit off of it.
The apple and plums I planted last year are sad and mostly dead. I think I'll replace one of them with a lemon tree. The thing I hate most about winter here (besides just kinda cold and a lot of dryness) is that it doesn't always get cold enough for trees to go into hibernation-- then we get an extreme cold spell fast and they die.
You know you dont belong in Arizona when you MISS the snow.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  7:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I never did get around to planting the fig trees yet. I got carried away with the pole beans. I made 4 tee pees then put feed bags down and then pld hay mulch. I hope they grow now. I don't have enough hose to go down where I planted them. Need more hose. Also weeded in the bare beets. My corn in the no til bed is coming up!!!

I have not checked my grape vines yet to see if they have any grapes. I hope you get lots and lots, Jen. I had gotten some from a friend a few years back and just canned them whole for juice. I put the juice in my kambucha. It's so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  8:25:01 PM  Show Profile
hi all, speaking of snow........i am in north west part of arizona. Would you believe we had snow on the mountains around us. It was so black and overcast all day.. We got rain, and when the clouds were gone. There was snow...we were all kind of surprised. Usually my cooler is running all day by now.. That's ok..my garden is loving it..it will be way to hot soon.....my collards, arugla and swiss chard have gone to seed..of which I will be saving.. I am harvesting green onions, snow peas and a little chard.. Garlic is harvested and drying..my kids are chomping at the bit waiting for it. I didn't plant alot of everything. Just don't have the time. But I did plant tomotoes, gn peppers.hot peppers, zucchini, eggplant, more chard and onions. Basil, dill and all my other herbs just keep on growing... I'm trying to harvest and dry them..they are drying everywhere..agh. Where to sit...whew I'm tired....and tomorrow starts my work week....i wannnnnna stay home....
kris,, I have tried fig trees twice here.. I got two figs, the birds got them then they died..i have five outdoor cats that are suppose to keep away the rabbits and birds. Nope, they all eat out of the same food bowl...wish I could get it on camera..its hysterical.....well,, happy gardening to everyone...

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Is it just me or does it seem like things are really slow to get growing? It just seems like they are not getting bigger. The seeds that I have planted, I mean. The tomatoes are growing pretty good but like the beets and beans and corn are so slow. I am usually picking beans by now. I don't know. Maybe it's just that I see them all every day and they don't look much bigger to me.

I finally got the 2 new fig trees planted. One of them has little tiny figs on it. I hope I get some figs before birds do. Paula, keep trying to grow some. Maybe put some plastic netting over them so the birds can't eat the little figs first.

It has not rained here in over a week. I hate to say it but we sure could use a little. I can't believe you had snow. But in Colorado they had some too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  10:40:57 AM  Show Profile
I looked out the front window this morning and what do I see? Water going down the driveway! I watered last night and left the water running! Again! I have done that a few times before, I admit. I hate it. I have t constantly tell myself after I am done to go turn off the water. Well, apparently, I didn't last night. So for at least 12 hours that water was running. My beets are nice and very well watered as are my broc and Swiss chard. And the grass. I should not have to water any of that for a long time. I feel so stupid when that happens. That's at least a $50. water bill next month, if not more. It's like filling up a big pool stupid.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  12:34:31 PM  Show Profile
lol...i can't count how many times I have done that..bet I beat you....left it on two days. $180.00...yep...our water here is costly.the more you use the more it cost.. Like .50 a gallon.. Thank god it went to the willow tree. I had the hoses hook to timers and I didn't have to worry.. But one pipe broke and the repairman didn't use the right size pipe.now I can't use timer. I guess I will have to fix myself... Right,like I have the time...thats why I paid him....oh well, still hand watering....

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  8:59:56 PM  Show Profile
We have wells in this neck of the(un)woods, and a good thing too, my brother is awful at leaving the hose on to water horses. If we were charged by the gallon, I think I would have to take him to the pound because I cant afford a brother that leaves the water on! lol

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  09:28:23 AM  Show Profile
last evening, i was treated to a growth explosion of jack and the beanstalk proportions. I put down a fresh bed of fertilizer 48 hours before, and my peas and corn grew about 4 inches apiece! and I spy some onions coming up. My latest problem is ants... they are chewing up my leaves. I uncovered my romaine and its almost completely chewed up now (and no sign of bunnnies)and pretty much all my plants closest to the colonies under my garden are showing some signs.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:20:57 AM  Show Profile
My garden is just not growing like it should be. I don't know what I am doing wrong. The tomatoes look good and I am going to start tying them to the stakes later today. I do see corn and beans that I planted a few weeks ago coming up. It just seems like it's so slow to me.

Jen, I hope your does good. And that you find out who's been eating your produce before you do. That can be annoying.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris- I was just reading back pages and have an idea for you. I hate blackberry seeds too. I got a juicer from a friend and juiced those berries and made jam from it. Takes a lot of berries but when they are free who cares! Now I can enjoy a taste I really love without the seeds.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I had a juicer but let my grandkids grandma use it. I could ask for it back I guess. I could add the juice to my kambucha. And make jelly.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  2:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Kambucha? I have no idea what that is! Please inform!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  8:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Kombucha is wierd. Yeah, I spelled it wrong. Now it doesn't look right at all. It's a mushroom like substance that is fermented in tea. It's called a scoby. It has a mother and the mother has babies that you can share with others. It's a bubbly fermented drink. I make mine with regular tea bags and sugar. It sits on the counter for 2 weeks then is bottled. I save the scoby and 2 cups of the original liquid. It's been around for thousands of years. I love it. If you want I could send you a baby. Just lemme know. You can look it up on line to find out more about it. I am not good at explaining. I have had mine for a few years now. And I really can tell when I have missed a few days. I have sent some to several people on here in the past.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  8:07:37 PM  Show Profile
I had to laugh out loud when I read that! I had a visual of your husband shaking his head NO! LOL!!!! Since I am NOT your husband I think it sounds interesting. I'd like to have some after we get moved. I'm afraid in the chaos it would get neglected. I read up online about it. I had never heard of it. I fell in love with Kifer when I traveled in Morocco. It s made much the same way. Different culture, and with milk but the process is similar. I'm going to get some culture when we get settled. I'll share it with you when it grows if you like. I promise not to tell anyone it is good for them if you won't. :)
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  8:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I have kefir. I have goat milk. It's so good. I am having a hard time getting it going again for some reason. And kombucha likes to be neglected. For at least 2 weeks. It just sits on the counter all by itself til it's time to strain it. ANd make more tea. People think it's time consuming but it's not. And it is good for you. But hubby does not like it. Go figure!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Another reason for me to get goats! What I fell in love with was goats milk kefir. All I can find here is cows milk already made. I was going to buy goat's milk to make mine till I get some goats. I'll still wait if you don't mind. Don't want one more thing to move that I can't just throw in a box.
I hope your kefir wakes up. I lost my sourdough starter for unknown reasons. Just up and died. I'll start a new one after the move too. I'll have three bowls lined up on the counter in various stages of fermentation! I can't wait!
connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page