Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I love fermented foods. I made some fermented beets with whey. Man, those things are so good. I make sour kraut too. And kimchi. I had made sour dough started but somehow it started not working right. I really love sour dough bread too. I have tried several different ways to make it. I made it once using kefir. Just add kifir to whole wheat flour and let it sit a few days then make the bread. I'll have to do that again.

We got a little rain early this morning. I hope we get more. I have been watering and it's way too early to have to do that. I am going to see if I have any pole beans coming up yet. And I need to mulch. But I don't want too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I haven't been that adventures yet. Kraut sounds good. I've never had kimchi so I would not know if mine was any good!
We got a ton of rain and wind last night. I have only had to water the garden once so far. Tomatoes are still 6-10 inches tall with no flowers or fruits. Healthy and green but not growing much. My first set of pole beans are just starting to climb. The potatoes look great but who know if they are making taters! I have more green onions than we can eat so we have been giving them away at the office. Finally have them thinned to grow some big onions. Last year they got mushy and did not make any firm onions. I think the soil was too rich. We will see if they work this year. I have a huge king snake in my garden. He watches me and I watch him. So far he has not surprised me. He better not if I have a hoe in my hand! We tolerate each other but I'm careful where I put my hands. I'm hoping he will keep the copper heads and timber rattlers away. I need to mulch the last beans i planted. I'll do that this afternoon when we go out there to check to see if the storm last night did any damage. Again.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  5:45:35 PM  Show Profile
bwaha! I stumped those ants good! They've all retreated off of my plants. My sweet smelling *Cinnamon* secret weapon!

My garden is getting bushy! Hubby is already bringing up what we will do differently in the next season.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  6:11:40 PM  Show Profile
lol....that made me laugh...thanks

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I was wondering how i could get them to lay off of the tender leafies, and a sprinkle of Cinnamon did the trick!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  04:55:23 AM  Show Profile
I put cinnamom around my doors when they were coming in there last year. I need to do it again to keep them away. We have ants really bad here.

We had rain yesterday! It's all nice and green and things are drinking it up. So I hope everything takes off after this. Rain does wonders on plants.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  10:02:33 AM  Show Profile
I have to water my trees by hand with the hose to trick them into thinking it rains >_<

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  7:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Pole beans coming up!! I am so excited about these. I made poles from branches and tied them together with twine. So rustic. I hope they can hold them all up. I also had to dust the bush beans with DE tonight. They are full of holes. Something is eating them up.

Everything looks so good. I can hardly wait to get tomatoes. And they all look SO good. I am so happy.

Yes, rain does wonders for plants. City water just can't do it for them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  8:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy your garden is doing well Kris. The heat next week should make things really take off. I've been out of canned green beans since Thanksgiving and can't wait to have them again. We grow Kentucky Wonder pole beans and you just can't find them to buy. I really like their flavor and don't enjoy others as much. I planted twice as many as last year. Now if I can keep the Japanese beetles from eating up the vines I'll be set. I told my sweetie we have to be in the new house before the Japanese beetles come out so I can be there to protect the beans. What do you girls do about them? I go out every couple of hours and hand pick and squash the bugs. When I had chickens I let them have them. They acted like I was their dealer with their drug! They were crazy about them.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  9:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, sprinkle grits around everywhere you want to keep the ants out. We have carpenter ants living in the forest where we are and they are coming out now. My DH did his yearly sweep around the house and haven't seen an ant since. Maybe it will work on your variety of ants too.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  4:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Got a lot done today. Pea trellis, bean tee pees, tomatoes caged. I can't wait for the tomatoes!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  6:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Marjorie, we,ve tried grits. We have fire ants. They have hills as big as houses around here. And they are in the garden too. I hate them.

Elaine, your beans look great! My pole beans are just now coming up. I can hardly wait for them to start climbing up the poles.

Connie, when we have beetles, I would get a little soapy water in a jar and hand pick them off. I have used gas too. Soapy water works for potato beetles too. Although we like to smoosh them. So much more fun!

I was working out in the garden awhile ago and got so shaky. And sweaty. I thought I was going to pass out. I had to come in and fix something to eat. I was soaking wet. And it really isn't that hot out. But I felt clammy. I really had that awful just about to pass out feeling. I feel a little better now but am going to bed. The garden will have to wait some more.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  10:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Kris- I hope you are feeling better in the morning. It is so easy to get busy in the garden and not eat or drink enough. I'm guilty of that more than I would like to admit! We use soapy water too for the bugs. But you are right. sometimes I just need to squash them. They can mow the top 6 inches off the beans in a day!
Elaine- Gardens looking good! What's n the red container in the right background? Potatoes?
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  07:04:05 AM  Show Profile
I am much better today. I went to bed early. I have already watered and finished tying the tomatoes. Man, it's gonna be a good tomato year. Everyone's tomatoes are looking really good around here. I am so excited! And I have all kinds. But mostly Rutgers. I have Green Zebra, Purple Cherokee, Orange something. So lots of different colors. I am anxious to try these new ones.

I will finish mulching the squash and zuc. later tonight. We are having a cookout-birthday party this afternoon. We have most of our birthdays in May and June and they come in 2's. My hubby's was yesterday and the oldest grand's was Friday. My oldest DD is June 4th and mine is the next day. My youngest was born the day before Mother's day. My Mom's is March 9th and her youngest grand's in=s the day before. Tehn the step dad's and Kansas's are a few days apart. SO I am full of birthdays here. And we have a birthday party about every other weekend. I am making cake and cup cakes right now. And I need to go mow a little later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm excited about the garden this year too. Everything looks so good and healthy. The weather has been crazy but the plants seem to love it!
So many birthdays mean lots of people to love and be loved by. Enjoy them today!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  3:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Great picture Elaine! My snow peas are almost done for the year. :(
I planted the beans right down the same rows in between so that by the time they get big I can just go along and whack off the pea plants. I posted some pictures of my early summer garden on my blog here:

http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/early-summer-garden.html

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
http://lazyjbarcfarm.blogspot.com/
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile
We've had really bad wind this week, one of my big tomatoes nearly snapped in half and a lot of my corn is all bent over :( Wish the wind would stop so I could actually tell if I have an issue or not. On the plus side, some of my early crimson runners are almost as big as the first beans I planted months ago! Also my cilantro and peppers are just beginning to sprout, and my zucc's have blossoms.

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jen, this wind is just HORRIBLE! They are predicting gusts of up to 60 MPH here today! WAAAHHH! Try staking the tomato, I had one broken almost in half over a week ago and I staked it and it is doing fine, even has new growth!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  6:08:55 PM  Show Profile
yep, that's exactly what I did! It's in a pot so I staked it up more securely, made it a little "bandage" and moved it out of the wind! lol

Gardening is a whole new beast for me so I wasn't sure it would make it, but you've given me hope!

It wasn't really this bad last year, was it? I don't remember it going on for weeks at a time before.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  04:04:00 AM  Show Profile
I've got most everything coming up-I'm super excited about my pumpkins. I've never grown them before. Everything else is good, though! My beans are looking good, and my herbs still need a little more time. ;)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  05:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Megan, I always get real excited about the garden when everything is coming up too! It always offers such hope of all the good food to come!

Jen, DH and I were just talking about how bad the wind is this year compared to last year! It sure wears ya' down huh?!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile
It's supposed to get to 95 today. Good grief! I am sweating buckets. I should be saving all this sweat to water the garden. It's just too hot to do anything out there. My hubby and I started working on the wooden fence out front by the road this morning. We lasted about 45 minutes. It's just too hot!

My beans are coming up good now. I borrowed my DD's little tiller and tilled a little out there. I am going to plant some zinnia seeds later by the tomato rows.

I hope that wind dies down for y'all out there in Arizona. It sounds really wild. I hope the corn stands back up and gorws good after all this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  8:25:15 PM  Show Profile
I think it got to 200 degrees here today! And that was in the shade! I sure got spoiled with the cool days we have had. We spent the day clearing downed limbs and poison ivy out of the woods just off the back yard. Extending the yard and clearing out an old fence row on the left to let more sun into the garden. There was not a dry hair or thread on my body.
The deer ate the tops out of my holly hocks, and Asters last night or early this morning. Thank goodness they can't get in the veggie garden.
My cherry tomatoes have blooms! Yea! The Romas and Cherokee Purples are healthy looking but still just sitting there. Pole beans are running and potatoes are lush and green. I hope they are doing something underground! No blooms on them yet.
I could have used a little of the AZ wind today. I'll send y'all some rain if you will share the breeze!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  9:07:11 PM  Show Profile
connie, I would more than happy to send you the wind. Why is it all the rain comes in winter when. you don't need it? Hum...u are hotter than us..it was only like 75 today.and dry.dry..no hurricane force winds today...after work tonight I went out to water..it was kinda nice for once. Yea! Happy happy....

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  06:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I think we are into the typical TN summer now. Hot, humid and hazy. Seasons seem to turn on a dime here. It takes a little adjusting when we get so humid. Drains the energy right out of you. I've traveled in AZ and loved the dry air despite the heat. But I know that presents it's own set of problems in the garden. I would have no idea how to grow things there!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page