Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic
Page: of 10

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  11:42:08 AM  Show Profile
We are in town. If there is a siren we hear it. The tornado siren is on the University campus about 4 blocks behind us. We only hear it if we are in the laundry room off the kitchen. The walls are 18- 22 inches thick in this house and because there are so few windows in the back we can't hear the one siren we need to hear! There is a fire station 2 blocks away that uses the road on our right to access the main road through town. (The road the house is on) The lower level has floor to ceiling windows at least 5 in each huge room. So the road noise gets in. Of course the police use the main road too. I have felt like I was under siege since we moved here. I tell folks it feels like we live in a war zone most days. Poor dogs have even stopped howling at the sirens they are so frequent.
We have that kind of damage all around us too. Plus the flooding. We are dry at home thank god but the office has some roof leaks today. it is a flat roof and when it rains so much so quickly it can't drain fast enough and backs into the building. We have patched, and caulked and cleaned out down spouts and nothing works. So we clean it up dry it out and keep on working!
We spent some time downstairs last night too. My grand looked at me and said "The wind is mean!" I could not disagree with her!
I'll send prayers for your hubbies' safety. Mine is driving to Mountain City this afternoon. The tippy point of TN. Right through the storm. Send him some love too please.
I'm kinda sorry I wished winter away! Spring has been anxiety producing for sure. It has rained so much it has made gardening difficult here. I really want to get the beans in the ground this weekend if the rain will stop.
On a different note, I made a big pot of pinto beans with the ham bone from Easter dinner last night. Made a skillet of corn bread and heated up all the left overs from Easter. My son and SE and I all fixed a bowl of corn bread and beans and ate only that for supper. I had to laugh thinking we were probably the only folks in town eating that kind of country meal! The left overs were not touched. :)
We are lucky to have power. Thousands around here don't.
We have more storms on the way so i'll be keeping my head down!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Connie, any more storms up your way last night? Have you seen the weather channel yet? All these places around me were hit hard but here not much. But just 20 miles away, destruction.

The gardne is doing great. I just checked everything. Beans popping up, beets too. Tomato plants look great and happy. And a few strawberries almost ready to pop in my mouth!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  07:59:11 AM  Show Profile
No storms last night. First full night of sleep i've had in days! Today is bright and sunny. I hope the weather holds for all those poor folks dealing with that destruction. My heart goes out to them. We lived through it in '99. I'll be honest the stress of these storms is getting to me. Probably a bit sleep deprived too. I woke up with a horrible sore throat and cough today. I think I'll have some cheese with that whine! Maybe a strawberry too? LOL
I need to practice a little gratitude. It could obviously be worse!
We are going to the farm tomorrow to stay in the camper for the weekend. It is time to plant beans and do what we can to get the construction on it's way to finished.
I pray there are no storms while we are there. At least we have a basement to go to. The back wall is surrounded by solid limestone. We had to blast to make the basement deep enough. We should be safe in there!
Your tomatoes won't be far behind the strawberries. I expect a full report on the first sun warmed bite of one of those beauties!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile
Connie, have a wonderful time this weekend. The weather is beautiful today. I hope it stays this way for you there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile
You too Kris. I'll be sending prayers for the folks in your area along with prayers for ours.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Connie. How was your weekend? I sure could use a get away. I am tired. I had all 3 grands all weekend. I was so glad to see them go. I love them, but they sure wear me out.

I am out in the garden today. Just planted squash and zuchinni. ANd mowing the yard with the bagger so I can have some good mulch.

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I am SO sick thanks to my granddaughter. The last two weeks have been pretty bad at our house. My son had an abscessed tooth extracted. I had him for two days before we found someone to see him. That was so pitiful. Of course I had Lilli with him. He just didn't get any better after the extraction so I took him to Nashville to be seen. They gave him a stronger antibiotic. While we were in Nash. daycare called us to come get Lilli. She was sick. (Mind you this is while all the storms are happening!) So then I had two sick people to care for and storms raging every night. I was really worried about my son because the things he was complaining of were not abscess kind of things. I was terrified he was getting septic from that tooth. So then I took him back to the dentist and Pa Pa stayed with Lilli. She was coughing, had a headache, fever and generally cranky with bad breath. Took her to the doctor who treated her for strep even though her test came back negative. Normally I would have refused but hell, I needed someone to get better! I got sooo sick on the 28th. Blisters on my throat. fever and chills. I steadily got worse and finally went to the Doc in a box on Sunday. Turns out we all had Cocksackie Virus. Nasty thing to have. I felt so bad for my son having it at the same time he had a tooth abscess. I guess my reserves were depleted so I got a sinus infection and bronchitis too. Now I am on antibiotics and slowly getting better. I bet I have lost 7 pounds I didn't have to spare. Can't wait to feel good enough to cook again. I think I could actually swallow now. Kyle and Lilli are well and back to their routine.
I'm not sick often and this was really bad. I have not been out to see the construction at the house in a week. They put in all the faucets and I think the tile guy has put in my backsplash and the Elec. has started hanging lights. I have pouted like a baby over not feeling well enough to go. My sweetie even bought a new jeep and it took me two days to get outside to see it. Want a laugh? The jeep is mine! My jeep was a 97 and the transmission was slipping a lot. It was having a hard time backing the camper up the drive to the house so we knew it was a matter of time. I'm one of those folks that normally drive a vehicle till it flat dies. Partly because I'm tight and partly cause i get attached. :) He told me he was going to "look" at jeeps and I knew what that meant but was too sick to care. Took him a day to tell me what he had done! My jeep was named Baby. I name all my vehicles. The camper is Opie and the 42 chevy truck is Earnest. No name for the new jeep yet. She might be a Lolita since she seduced my sweetie! Once I drive her a bit I'll know.
I have been reading some posts and my heart aches for your granddaughter. But for the grace of God go I with Lilli. I don't understand her mom leaving but I thank god every day she did. Their divorce court date is the 13th. My son is so over her he really has no feelings about it. Strange to hear him be so detached because she had him as tied up as an abusive husband does any woman. I am praying every day for your daughter. That her eyes will be opened. That she will find the strength necessary and that she will protect her child every day. I know it helps. It did for me. I just never could have predicted God's plan for them! I was so glad i kept my hands off and let him (God) have his way. Now I have the grace of not feeling guilty about Lilli not having a mom.
OK I've rattled on enough! I must be feeling better!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow Connie. What a week. I am glad y'all are better. I'm sure you are too. I am so sorry about all the sickness. I have never heard of that before. So get back to normal fast, ok?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris! I think 24 more hours on antibiotics and all will be well. I was wondering today if Cloudlands State Park had any damage? It is so beautiful I would hate to hear those beautiful trees were damaged. Have you heard anything?
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  3:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I have not heard about that particular area. But north of there is where most of the damage was. There were lots of homes destroyed on the mountain up between Trenton and Flintstone. ANd where we went hiking too. I will check on Cloudland.

It's been raining here all day and really is coming down now. I think most of the houses with roof damage have good tarps on them now. The rest of the week is clear. But COLD! I'm drinking some decaf coffee. Had to have something warm. Crazy weather. Walker Co. schools started back today. Dade is out indefinetely. My oldest granddaughter was supposed ot have her spring band concert tonight. But not now. I missed her first one back in Jan because of snow storms.

I hope my squash and zuc come up with all this good rain. I had to capture all my chickens last night and put them in a coop for the summer. I hate to do it but I want a garden. I still ahve 3 game hens and 3 game roos wandering around. One of the game roos was in the garden where I had just planted scratching around. Makes me so mad. ANd I got 7 more Buff chicks today! They are in the dining room with a heat lamp on them. The are so stinkin' cute. And 2 of the game hens are setting on a nest of eggs that should hatch in a week or so. They will all come in here too. SO I can get rid of the roos. 8 roos is too many already. 6 will be in the freezer before too much longer.

Is it raining up there today? Looks like it will be awile before I can get back in the garden. I have got to get it planted. I am so far behind here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Yep raining and 60 degrees. We hope to be back up there after we get moved in. I'm dreading seeing the damage. I know from experience that they will recover from the damage,but, I also know how difficult this has and will be for awhile. I still don't like high winds!
What will they do about the kids missing so much school? I hate you had to miss the concert again. It is pure pleasure to attend a grandchild's performance.
I'm glad I was to sick to plant the beans. They would have rotted for sure. If it has been warm enough your zuc and squash should recover from the wet. We are way behind in the garden too. Our friend finally waded out to weed his potatoes they were getting so overgrown. Said he lost a boot in the mud and fell on his butt. LOL I hope those taters do well!
I know what you mean about the chickens. Ours can't get in the kitchen garden but they destroyed my flower beds. Nothing self seeded with them around!
Eight roos! I bet your girls are tired! I can't wait to get some chickens again. I think I will do one of those electric netting fences so they stay in the pasture area and not in the yard. But I sure do love seeing them at the window and having them run to say hello when I go outside. I'll probably let them out when I am outside to supervise.
I think it is supposed to be dry here for a few days. Good thing cause we have flooding in several areas around here. This weather has been relentless this year.
Stay dry!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, 8 roos. That's why I didn't want any more hens to go broody. But these 2 game hens, that's all they do. This is where most of the roos came from. I am keeping 2 of the Buff roos. Poor Jimmy Buffet has to go. He got really mean with other people, including my hubby, mom and Kansas. So I have the hens in 2 different coops right now til I can figure out what to do with them. The flies are horrible too. Right at the doors all the time because of all the poop. SO I hope this will help that problem.

My Dish does not work when it rains. So silly. And when it rains that's what I want to do is watch tv. But no, not with Dish.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  5:38:12 PM  Show Profile
It seems to rain every Monday night. i hope there isn't anything you would hate to miss on Mondays! Ours is cable. It does this awful stutter thing when it is windy. Sometimes it is so bad we can't watch either. Especially lately.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile
It is the perfect weather to work in the garden but I have no tiller yet. I might go borrow a friend's tiller so I can plant some corn. I feel like I am so far behind right now. I did plant 4 jalapeno peppers yesterday. And I mulched some more too.

I am taking my step dad to lunch today for his birthday. Just us. He's been taking radiation treatments for a few weeks now and is getting a little tired of it. So mom just called and said he was really looking forward to this. She said he said if I asked where he wanted to go he'd say Applebee's which is what I was thinking too. So that's where. we'll go. It's right up the road from their house too. And it's fairly cheap for lunch.

I hope every one has a great day in their gardens. I so want to hear what all is coming up and what y'all have already eaten so far. I made a crustless quiche last night for dinner. I pulled some fresh onions and picked some spinach and red mustard and baby kale. I cooked some of my sausage with the onions, mushrooms and greens. Then poured that in a pie pan and poured my fresh eggs and some cheese over that. It was really good. So most of came from here except the mushrooms and cheese. I have to make some cheese now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  3:52:10 PM  Show Profile
about a week ago I noticed the tops of my plants poking out in the morning, then I would go out and there would be another half a dozen sprouts! The cukes, watermelons, peas, beans, zucchini and corn are doing the best. Most of my corn sprouts are topping 4" already. I'm not too sure about the lettuce, pretty sure my broccoli didn't take and the jury is still out on the cantelope and onions. Both sprouts look similar to some of my common weeds.

I have some superb dried out 2 year old horse manure I'll be laying down for fertilizer my next weeding. Today at walmart I saw some GORGEOUS huge tomato bushes I'll pick up in a few days (maybe I'll check lowes for good measure.) I'm starting to eyeball up farms for sale that have greenhouses or nice big windowed mud rooms! i think I'm addicted to growing.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  5:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Jen, don't you just love going out to the garden and seeing all that new growth poking up out of the dirt? I go out every day looking. I have not seen any squash or zuc yet. I may have to replant some of it because of a bad roo. I have fence and netting laying on the rows right now til it starts coming up.

I laid down a row of newspapers and wet them real good. Then laid down soem of the prettiest soil I have seen in a long time. Out back used to be a pine forest. years ago they had some kind of disease so they were all cut down and just left there. So now they are all rotted and gone back to soil. It's wonderful. I shoveled up several 5 gallon buckets of it and threw that down on the wet papers. Then threw beet seeds down then covered them with more of that good soil. Then threw some mulch over that. Then laid down black plastic netting to keep birds and bad chickens away. I hope the beets come up and do good. I just love beets and have found a new way to ferment them. And I love it. So I want more.

I am also getting some really old hay bales for mulch. I am so excited about that. I just used all I had left to mulch the 2 rows of tomatoes. So I will need lots more. And my DD who works at Walmart said she will get me more cardboard boxes. I hope to do a little at a time and hopefully one day I will be a no til gardener.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  5:38:22 PM  Show Profile
My friend up the road called me earlier about some old hay and I just called him back. He said it's at least 3 years old. He is going to bring it to me th=omorrow afternoon! Yay! It's free and he's delivering it! That is great. I am so happy to get it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  09:07:27 AM  Show Profile
craigslist is great for things like that, stuff like that is just "trash" taking up space for many people... I need to relieve someone of some pallets myself....

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile
So, I'm watering by hand 2-3 times a day with the hose and doing the whole "thumb over the hose mouth" thing. I was looking at spray nozzles yesterday at walmart. My gosh! why are they so expensive?? You used to be able to pick them up for around a buck! the cheapest was 2 bucks and it was a flimsy plastic thing that will probably crack when I squeeze it! For the same price as a lot of those fancy sprayers ($10) I can get a miracle grow sprayer with some plant food. Think I should pop for that? or just look for something more basic? I don't really know how "miracle grow" works

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Jen, I wish I lived closer. I would love some pallets. I want to build a pallet barn one day. And they are good to lay hay on. I'm sure someone would be glad to get them.

I have a few of the watering wands that are great if you have a good hose. I have to stand back about 4'. They are not that expensive either. I would get a good one right off because you do get what ya pay for. I have learned that the hard way too many times. Just get the good one in the first place to save time and money. Things just aren't made good anymore.

I just went out and replanted some squash because I just don't see any yet. And I added more dirt. I should be getting my hay soon. I need to mulch my green beans asap. The weeds are already as big as the little plants.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I'd be out there fertilizing today, but my house on the inside is a complete DISASTER! My whole house has had the flu bug all week and this is the first day the husband is back at work out of the way, the kids are here to help and I'm feeling up to task. Hopefully this evening when it cools down.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  1:39:23 PM  Show Profile
did I mention that it is 102 today?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  2:38:20 PM  Show Profile
What? That is HOT. But I bet it doesn't feel like OUR 102 there. We are so humid it's almost unbearable. But y'all don't have that nasty humidity there do you? I hope y'all are all better soon. That's no fun being sick.

Well, I got my first 2 bales. And they are OLD. It's just falling apart. I have already started on my bean rows. Shoot, I sure wish I had some help here. It is a lot of work for just one person. So I will do a little bit at a time and eventually the whole thing will be done one day.

It looks like it could rain any minute. I washed my sheets this morning and hung them out. They are nice and dry and ready for the bed after I vacuum it. Then a nice cool shower and it will be calling my name.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  12:53:19 PM  Show Profile
No, it's not humid, but 102 is pretty darn awful for spring :( We'll see 115 many times during full summer. UGH. And I've had 112 AND humid last year when I was 7 months expecting, plus we had a tornado! Never thought I'd have that in Phoenix.
I will probably have to weed in the dark with a bright spotlight when it's super hot-- or get out there at 5 am. I actually tried to start gardening last season but I gave up by june and settled for my sugar peas and cherokee beans that were already producing by then. It was just too much work to do that pregnant in that much heat :(

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  6:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I don't do too good in the heat either. I'll go out real early or real late but not in the middle of the day. It gets nasty hot here. I have yet to turn my AC on yet though. It's been rather nice so far. But a few days this weeks are supposed to be almost 90. So I will see.

I just watered all the seeds I just planted. And I still don't see any squash or zuc. I am not so sure I am doing this right. I may be wasting my time and money with this no til stuff. So far all but the seeds and plants have been free. But yesterday while pulling off old hay I may have gotten into some poison ivy. My left forearm was really swollen today. I thought it could have been a spider bite but the remembered I has seen some poison ive poking out the side of the first bale. I don't get a rash breakout. I will get a spot here and there. So I have 2 really bad itchy spots so far. But I am a firm believer in plantain. I had made a ticture a few months ago and am putting that on with a cotton ball all day. Feels better aready.

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweating, Sunburns.... In the Garden Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page