Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2 Next Topic
Page: of 2

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile
I am very excited to let all of you ladies know that we have gotten our Pre aproval for a mortgage. So now the question is, do we want to live in town close to my husband's job, in Suburbia with our two kids and dog, or do we live in the middle of nowhere.

I will try to keep everyone updated on what is going on

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

Edited by - alterationsbyemily on Dec 23 2011 4:05:47 PM

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  5:26:35 PM  Show Profile
I vote rural (but near to highways so you can get out if you need to)! I personally love living in the middle of nowhere--it is so peaceful. You do need to plan ahead for things (like chinese food yearnings or toilet paper run-outs), but you can't beat small town rural for community spirit and independence. Hooray on the home-loan approval!

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  04:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Emily -

I vote rural myself! Isn't Thomasville near York? I'm in Northeast PA, but spend a lot of time with friends in the Lancaster area.

Let us know what you decide!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  06:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I guess it would all depend as well on what is available in your price range and where. We just got a pre-approval and had our hearts set on living out in the country with land and bldgs..etc, but there was nothing in our price range or the homes were overpriced. So, we ended up finding a very sweet home in a residential area on .50 an acre....and we love it. Who knew....but it has the convinence of being close to shopping, medical care, and set back enough on a culdesack that there will be no thru traffic and our back yard abuts to a nature preserve. There are only 10 homes in the community....so it still feels rural, but not isolated. I would recommend shopping around and doing your own comp comparisons of home prices. Good luck...can't wait to hear what you decide to do....Hugs, Erica (ps: we are buying our home i just mentioned in pa too)
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:00:27 PM  Show Profile
Well the fight between my rural and his city is heating up, we shall see who wins, it very well could be .5 acre of dead end street, time will tell

As for Thomasville, yes it is outside of york on the west side

---
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  4:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Best wishes to you finding the perfect place. You will both know it when you see it. :)
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  6:25:03 PM  Show Profile
I recommend a book called "the backyard homestead" if you end up on a small lot. The back cover boasts that with 1/4 acre you harvest 1400 eggs, 50 lbs, of wheat, 60 lbs of fruit, 2000 lbs of veggies, 280 lbs of pork and 75 lbs of nuts.
A smaller place is a lot less work, but my advice is to at least hold out for a spot zoned for livestock, then no one will give you grief about a few chicken and you have the option of getting a goat or mini cow eventually to fool around with cheesemaking and home dairy.
In all honesty, just starting out you're not going to need 10 or 30 acres- you'd be overwhelmed, but on the other hand, renting out unused pasture or a farm field goes a long way in offsetting your mortgage.
My personal choice is rural, and my hubby and I think a 50 minute commute is fair, but I would definitely compromise if he resented the drive. Agree on a maximum commute (we measure in minutes, not miles. A freeway commute and a twisty 2 lane farm road commute are very different birds.) Then give that information to a realtor you trust. I browse property on realtor.com and craigslist frequently, but there's great regional sites too.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  07:39:25 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Jen "The Backyard Homestead" is a must read. I live in town still, on a 1/4 acre lot, and it's amazing what I grow. I have apple trees, grape vines, raspberries, a LARGE garden, assorted planting beds and vessels, four chickens and honeybees. The neighbors think I'm nuts sometimes but they don't seem to mind when I share with them. I used many ideas from the book and tweeked them for my area and lot size.
Good Luck in your search!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  1:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Emily:I like the saying "bloom where you are planted". But having said that I vote for a rural area closer to the job. If you plan to stay there a long time, talk to your closest city and see what their growth pattern plans are. Sometimes the city moves to close to you and then it's not rural any more. The country is great too. Good luck. Keep us posted.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  1:52:36 PM  Show Profile
It depends on where you are in your life. I have lived in them all. Where I chose to be met my families needs at the time. I moved to the city for my support network when my husband died. Best place for me at the time. It was nice to live near other children when mine were in the social tween years. Soon as they left home it was back to the country for me! I have kept my city house for my very late golden years when the farm gets to be to much. It is near doctors, hospital, grocery etc and has an excellent bus route and elder bus. I can easily live on one level of the house and it is an easy maintenance home. I say be flexible and know that nothing has to be forever if your needs change.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

OwnSelf
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sarah
Plainfield IL
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile
We live in suburbia, thanks to jobs and my DH wanting to be close to his daughter from his previous marriage. But we did buy in a neighborhood on the edge of town. And we picked a house whose yard doesn't have any backyard neighbors. I mean, we have side neighbors, but the back yard is a field and then corn or soy.

For us, it's a nice compromise. We can't be as far out as we'd like right now, but we didn't want to be smack in the middle of a bunch of cookie-cutter new homes either. Our house is about 30 years old.

The other benefit of an older neighborhood in suburbia is that you can often avoid homeowner's associations that would prohibit clotheslines and large gardens and such.

Let go or be dragged
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, HOA's are a no go. I was listening to someone tell me that she had one palm tree in her front yard when she moved in. A storm blew it over and she received a bill in the mail from her HOA instructing her that she had to plant TWO trees or face the wrath of the fee bat. I don't think a farm girl could ever be happy with a homeowners association.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile
The book sounds very good..going to have to look for that one to read. Thanks for sharing:) Erica
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:26:13 PM  Show Profile
UPDATE!!

Well ladies, our compromise has been found, sort of. He was fighting for the city of York and then he found out that the school district was give a rating of 2 out of 10, ended that argument of living in the city limits. Then we found a house DOWN THE STREET from our rental. Right in our price range with two out door buildings (in poor to medium shape) a 2 car garage, 3 bedrooms and one bathroom, front porch that has a swing, flat large driveway (prefect for kids to ride a bike), small fenced in dog run, basement, oil heat, air conditioning, and a HUGE cold/fruit cellar. The property is just under a half acre. When it comes to the school district, it is the second best in the county.

It is in transition right now for forclosure, the bank is taking ideas of what the price should be and we will know in about a month exactly what they want for it. I am praying daily it is not above a certain number.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:43:07 PM  Show Profile
foreclosures usually run cheap, GOOD LUCK!!!! sounds like it could have been made for you!!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Good Luck Emily...and remember as hard a it may be....If it is meant to be it will be!
Prayin it works out for you!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  8:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:55:31 PM  Show Profile
I too vote rural. I love being out in the middle of nowhere....And doing whatever i wish. I could not let anyone tell me what color my mailbox had to be or that I couldnt hang my cloths out on a line.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile
I am praying and praying for this to work out. Thanks for all the support ladies.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile
The offer is in ladies! I am on pins and needles, keep the prayers up!

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Good luck on your new home! Sounds wonderful!!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Emily,

Hope it works out! Sounds like you found the right set up for you. Everyone is so different. I'd be miserable in such a location but others would be beyond miserable in my situation - the middle of nowhere!! The key is finding what makes you happy and works best for your family. Happy for you!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:51:01 PM  Show Profile
So the bank finally came back and we are almost to the end of this crazyness. Friday, we had some men clean and service the furnace, heat and air conditioning work great, then there were problems with the well... we could not locate it. Today we brought in some people to locate the well and they got water into the house. Tomorrow is the Home inspection and the septic inspection.

Keep us in the loud prayers because if it all goes through tomorrow, we close on the 19th!

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Here's hoping for you Emily!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sondrak
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Sondra
Colorado Springs CO
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Emily,

Were you able to close on your new house? I sincerely hope so.

I think you were smart with the compromise. If your DH is spending all of his time commuting, he wouldn't be able to help out much or enjoy the more rural place.

You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile
That's a hard one. I want to live rural, but my hubby needs to be close enough in to get to his job and to go in if there is an emergency

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page