Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2 Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile
My Hubbykins (he just loves it when I use these names for him on my forums!) Is getting his EMT and we're hoping for a rural posting :D We will be lucky in that EMTs can work in Emergency rooms in any hospital, for companies as on staff medical personnel, or an an ambulance that could be staffed by a hospital, a fire department, or a private ambulance company. Our plan is to apply for every opening in a wide area we would be ok living in and hope for a rural position and accept the best employment package. Then it's farm-hunting within a 40 minute commute.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  05:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Sayin' a prayer, Emily. And definitely look into the Backyard Homestead. It's one of my favorite books on my bookshelf!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Emily, I would love to hear an update. I hope you got the home you wanted.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Update!

So ladies, I have been busy spending ALOT of money. Last week December 12th, a puddle appeared above where our buried well was. I called the plumber who put in the new jet pump and he came out right away. He turned off the power to the pump and said he needed to dig up the well the next day. So the next day he came at 7:00 AM and started digging. He found that the pipes were cracked going to the house. He then said he would be back the next day with a digger because the tree roots around it were so thick that he couldn't hand dig to the house. The next day, Wednesday, the digger came and pulled out lots and lots of dirt. The plumber then noticed this GIANT tree root growing out of the well through a big crack in the top. He pulled off the top and the entire thing was FULL of roots. He then suggested pulling the pipes to pull the roots out. Well, they had to used the digger to pull the pipe out and it didn't pull out a single root, just the pipe. Now I had no water.

RotoRooter then came out the Monday with a contraption to grind up the roots... The roots were so thick that it didn't even scratch the surface. Finally it was determined that the well had to be abandoned and we needed a new well drilled.

After many phone calls we got a well drilling company to come out and drill the well. People take pity on the mom with two kids and no water for a week, especially with Christmas coming. Tuesday the permit went through the township and the drill was out that day. And they started digging immeadiatly. So far the well had cost us 1259.10 so that the man from the plumbing place could condem it. The digging for the well was $8.50 a foot. I was standing outside in the rain biting my nails, the average well in our area is 400 feet. Easy math, that is 3400 just for the drill and not the materials. Suddenly tons of water started shooting like a geiser out of the ground. I had never seen anything like it in my life. The men started rushing around and doing stuff around the drill. Wouldn't you know it, we had 20 gallons a minute at 100 feet down. I almost could have danced... actually I did once I got into the house.

The men put the PVC pipe down and were going to grout and seal the well the next day. They came and found that the well did not seal around the bedrock so they had to bring the drilling rig back out so they could pull the PVC pipe and replace it with steel. That was my wednesday, getting the new pipe.

Thursday came and another crew came to put the pipe from the new well to the house. The well was getting hooked up and the new plumber man tested the bladder in my water tank and it was dead, we now needed a new water tank in the house. If they would have tested that before digging up the well and discovering the roots, it would have saved us. GRRR

I now have a new well, new pump, new water tank and I have taken three showers. I love the early american lifestyle but I praise them for their patience. It was very hard relying on bottled water and other friends for taking care of personal matters.

$7000 later I have water. So on this Christmas I will kiss my water faucets.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Emily having been there and done that with water problems in winter (did not have to drill a new well but replaced a pump, all the electrical under ground and water tank a few years ago) I do sympathize. I am glad that you got the problem dealt with and are back on track. Merry Christmas! There is nothing like a hot shower and clean dishes, clothes etc. to make one appreciate the emenities.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Being without water is a huge trial. So glad you have it back on in time for Christmas!!!

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Rural, is the the answer - Update page 2 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page