Page: of 2

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  1:59:16 PM  Show Profile
oh my goodness grace!please know i am thinking of you-you are such a sweet person. what a rough week for you i hope things start looking up soon!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  4:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Jo for the kind words.. It was rough but it is part of what happens when we give our heart and soul to raising our animals. I was blessed with two surprise goat babies friday - although the mothers are newbies and just would not care for them I now get the pleasure to do so. So with three bottle kids I have plenty to keep me busy and remembering all my blessings to bring these three safely along into the world. Such is the life of a Farmgirl...

I thank everyone for your prayers, kind words and support - it keeps me going when I want to pull the covers over my head.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  8:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Grace,

I am sorry about Ben and know that he was comforted by your love and care during his last days.

Despite the sad situation, I was excited to see your name on your post. We met years ago at the Douglas County Fair. It's good to see that you are still living the Colorado good life. We moved to Arizona but the girls are in CO in college.

Warm regards to you and your two-legged and four-legged family.

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  06:36:31 AM  Show Profile
How great to hear from you and thank you so much for your kind words. It is all part of this life of loving and rasing animals and the joys far out weight the bad most times. My two unexpected babies are doing wonderful in fact they just turned a week old. Thriving and growing - You can see a picture on my blog of Goldie who is in the house but Max is just too fast in the pen out in the barn to get a clear picture of him yet. I am going to try again today...

So how are you liking Arizona??? What has been going on in your world if I am not being to pushy?? Again, great to hear from you.. Blessings and Be Well

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  8:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
(((hugs))) Grace I am so sorry that had to happen to you. I know how you love your critters! We had to put our goat Racheal down and i cried for days so truly understand. Peace Connie in Alaska
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  6:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hello Again Grace,

You asked about our family...5 years ago we left Parker and moved to Phoenix for my husband's job. Roni stayed behind at Colorado State. She is now a junior in vet med there. Alyssa finised high school in Phoenix and is graduating this month from CSU. Our son, David, is a senior in high school and will be attending college this fall at Stevens Institute of Technology in NJ and playing NCAA basketball. It's been such a joy to watch the kids grow into themselves. I am back in school, working on a doctorate; I will be too busy to have empty nest syndrome! What have you and the boys been doing as of late?
We have not been active in 4H since leaving CO, although I did spend a few hours last summer judging record books for gardening projects. We still have one bunny left from CO, a little jersey wooly that I bred years ago. Are you still involved in 4H? I will never, ever forget the year you judged Round Robin and Roni was competing...the kids were all so cute when they took turns with animals that they wer unfamiliar with. I hope that you are well and having a good spring with all of the criters.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  6:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace, my heartfelt sentiments. I know what it's like to lose a "furry baby".

Hugs to you.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile
I know it doesn't make you feel any better really, but I too made the promise that I'd always make sure the animals in our care would always pass with someone there. But I will tell you exactly what I tell my kids (because they are old enough to understand that this is another part of a farm life, yet they are thankfully still sensitive to it). The most important thing is that the animals have been cared for. They recognize that. Your care for them is a comfort because they rely on it and you give it. They don't ask or want anything more. They know they are loved when they pass on then. I can't think of a better way to go as a human or a goat or lamb or any other creature. You did all you could. I'll say a prayer for your broken heart. I know little Ben won't need one, he's already kicking his heels up in the greatest Shepherd's greenest pastures, I'm positive about that.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #2920

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  7:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the wonderful and kind words - I know that Ben is living the good life and I will see him again.

Pam I no longer work so hard in 4 H but always willing to help teach. Nick is married and has a wonderful son that just turned a year old. He is a rep for some incredible outdoor industry products and travels more then he would like. They have a house in one of our old neighborhoods that he loved as a child. Conrad is going to DU and Metro for college in international studies and also works at the Denver Art M. I have been considering selling the farm and moving aboard - still in the planning stages and the boys are not too happy to have me too far away...

I too remember those day fondly and all the kids that came into our lives. Both Nick and Conrad credit a lot of those experiences as the foundation to who they are today. Give my love to all and wonderful to hear from you.
Blessings and Be Well

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  07:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Grace, It has been good to catch up with you. It sounds like the boys are doing great. I bet that you enjoy that grandbaby! I look forward to hearing what you do about the farm...it sounds like you may be on the brink of an adventure.

I agree with you foundational experiences the kid's lives. We too have had conversations in our home about this...learning to plan, meeting deadlines, interviewing...and I can trace a direct line from Roni's vet science project to where she is today (as a result of that project she was offered a job in a vet's office and that helped her to get the hours of experience she needed for her vet school application). Such a wonderful opportunity for kids and for us as adults to help kids build thier lives.

Anyway, I did take this thread off topic (sorry) but I have enjoyed chatting with you, Take care, Grace.

Aloha, Pam

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Passed away in my arms Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page