chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:45:54 AM  Show Profile
We want get some geese this year and among the others that we like are sebastopols. OK I like the sebastopols, my husband thinks they will get very muddy and dirty in the rainy season. But he said if I really want them we can get some. SO does anyone raise them or have any recomendations? They are the ones that look like a fluffly wedding gown. sandy

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile
My sister had some a while back that were gorgeous! I do not recall her ever having any problems with them, they were out with the other geese and birds that she had at that time. I've been looking for some sebastopols locally (no luck yet though). I think they are just beautiful! Good fortune with yours!!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  09:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rachel and good luck in your quest as well.
Did your sister breed them or have them just for pretty?
sandy
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
There is a hatchery in California that has them, sorry can't remember the name, but I would think if you google California hatcherys you would find it...

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile
I have sebastopol geese. they seem to do just fine with the mud, they seem to stay clean. we are trying to hatch some this year but we arent having any luck. mc murrys hatchery has them
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  12:50:20 PM  Show Profile
there is a comman problem with these geese, as in having "angel wing", so make sure when you buy, they don't have the problem, and its not in the parents backgrounds...
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  09:20:41 AM  Show Profile
the angel wing in sebastoplo is almost impossible to get rid of, allot of them have the genes. allot of breeders that we have talked to say that they cut the first section of the wings off when young, so if not having sebastpols is high on your list then look around, exotic bird and animal auctions are good places to meet breeders and contact them latter
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  05:40:06 AM  Show Profile
She had them for pretty, although I think they did lay she never got any goslings (from any of her geese) due to foxes, etc.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sebastopols anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page