Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Meet "CHUCKIE" . . the rock chuck!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Meet "CHUCKIE" . . the rock chuck! Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13647 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13647 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I go on "power walks" every day in my neighborhood on this canal bank. It wraps around the backside of our property and a couple of our neighbors.
In this top photo you can see the rock outcropping/cliff area on the left where my rock chuck "friends" live. I know there are at least two, one is a charcoal colored one I've named "Chuckie" and there is a dark brown one that I've named "Brownie". I usually see them up on top of this rock cliff area in the spring through fall weather. Sometimes I will see one down at the bottom at the "front door", but usually on top and often they'll be sunning themselves on the big flat "sundeck" rock on top of the big rock cliff.
They don't seen to be too concerned about my presence or that of my dog and just watch us walk by.

Today, I spied "Chuckie" sprawled out on the "sundeck" rock. It's a rather breezy day and you can see his fur sticking up where the wind caught it.

A little further along where the fence comes up the slope and across the top of the hill. I would like to get a better picture of his face, but I think he'll run and hide if I get too close.

We see geese and ducks on this canal. Other wildlife that we see regularly are deer, elk (in late fall and winter), porcupine, skunk, fox, and coyotes. I've also seen sign of bear and mountain lion.

Nothing like the country life!!
Thanks for letting me share!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Apr 30 2011 3:48:18 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile
How CUTE! He looks so relaxed and nonchalant - Chuckie must really enjoy the country life, too! ;)

Thanks for sharing, CJ!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I think you are part of his routine! LOL! He's counting how many times you go around. Chuckie and Brownie probably have a bet on it and the winner gets the rock lounge the next day!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Edited by - HealingTouch on Apr 30 2011 3:55:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  5:01:29 PM  Show Profile
I love Chuckie!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Do you talk to Chuckie? A friendly "Good morning!" maybe? :) He is too cute. I'd have to walk just to see if he was out each day.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6681 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6681 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile
You take the greatest pictures CJ. I remember seeing my first "Chuckie" when I moved to Colorado 15 years ago. Took us awhile to find out what the heck it was, but we know now, and they do not bothered you if you do not bother them.
Thanks for sharing.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  6:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Would you like my "Chuckie"? He's being a real nuisance! Digging up the yard, making huge holes, and we are going to have to "relocate" him soon or he'll be chomping on our raspberries!!!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13647 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13647 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  6:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I DO talk to Chuckie and Brownie . . .tell them "HI" when I pass. Sometimes if they are laying there they will sit up and look right at me. They are fun to watch.
Jackie . . nope I don't want your Chuckie. In my neck of the woods they don't come around houses really . . they like to live in their "rock houses". There are LOTS and LOTS of them in the mountains in the rocks (the Colorado ROCKY Mountains). The "mountain" ones are lighter colored than Chuckie and Brownie. They are a lighter shade of reddish-brown and I've seen some that were HUGE. They are also called "marmots" and "whistle pigs".
And these guys are ROCK chucks, not wood chucks.

Chuckie and Brownie are about the size of a small housecat.
Anyway, something to enjoy along the way!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Apr 30 2011 6:51:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  7:18:32 PM  Show Profile
He/She is adorable...I would be talking to them too if I walked by everyday. We have seen these guys on the slopes of Pikes Peak when we go up. They remind me of the groundhogs we have in PA too. We have coyotes in our neighborhood..a pack of 3 and last week while I was walking one came across the field next to me. I had my camera and got pictures, but I was so nervous and excited, they are kind of blurry. Becky kept saying, "keep walking, make yourself tall, keep walking"....hehehe....someone who is 4'9" can't make herself any taller:) I didn't feel threatened, but I was amazed at his size...about the size of a german shepard and oh so magnificent. Colorado definatly is a photographers wonderland:)
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  8:24:57 PM  Show Profile
I saw these on Pike's Peak many years ago and they were practically tame--begging for handouts. We only have woodchucks around here. Give my regards to Chuckie amd Brownie!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  9:18:44 PM  Show Profile
CJ, instead of calling them "marmots"....I think "varmints" is a good word for them!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile
how cool!! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  08:57:23 AM  Show Profile
He's too cute! Takin' in the good weather! We have one that lives in the lower portion of our yard, and our beagle waits for him to come out of his burrow :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13647 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13647 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Like I said, these guys don't bother us or our "stuff" too much . . but I know they can be a nuisance.

The most prevalent and awful rodent/varmit we have around here that IS VERY DESTRUCTIVE are prairie dogs . . and gophers are a close second. They are just awful and pretty much impossible to control or eliminate. They destroy the fields, the crops and can be rabid.
Anyway, doggie and I are off again on our walk . . .might see these characters again.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, CJ, that's too funny! Really great pics! I love woodchucks. We used to have a family of them living on our driveway, but they seem to have moved on. Your "Chuckie" looks like a king on a throne!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13647 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13647 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  8:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We've seen "Chuckie" every day this week. Sunning himself on that "sundeck" rock. Today when we came by he stood up. If he could actually wave I think he would. Haven't seen "Brownie" this week . . . and the day I do I probably won't have my camera. I don't like to carry anything with me but I did carry it a couple days last week in a fanny pack.
Anyway, an interesting creature!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Meet "CHUCKIE" . . the rock chuck! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page