Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Sourdough Starter from Alaska to Colorado
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough Starter from Alaska to Colorado Next Topic  

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile
I need some help, my Secret Sister sent me from Alaska some sourdough starter. I do not check my mail everyday and we live at 9000 feet altitude and it gets below 20 degrees still at night. So, the envelope with the starter came yesterday and set in the mailbox all night, it was 15 degrees last night. When I picked my mail up this morning and opened the envelope the plastic bag with the starter in it was like ice not frozen yet but still very cold. Is it still good to use or has the extreme cold ruined it. It is sitting in my warm kitchen right now. Let me know as I would love to make sourdough bread as Secret Sis sent me a couple nice recipes I would like to try.
Any help will be appreciate.
Thank you.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if the starter is good or not?!? I'm sorry that happened! I know yeast can be stored in the freezer. Wish I knew what else was in the starter!

Here is a great starter I use though, and you can use it in any recipe.
1C warm water
1 1/2 tsp active yeast
3Tbs instant potato
3Tbs sugar

Set covered on the counter for 5 days, stirring each morning with wooden spoon. On the morning of day 5, feed your starter (add 1 cup warm water, 3 Tbs of sugar and 3 Tbs of instant potato). By evening your starter is ready to use. Refrigerate on evening of day 5. Each time you bake Sourdough bread, just remove what you need, feed starter, and place fed remaining starter in fridge.

Hope that helps a little? (((Hugs)))

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  4:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Annette for responding, I think it would be best to just start a new starter. I do not wish to hurt my Secret Sisters feelings but I just do not know if it is good or not. So thank you for the recipe for the starter and I will try it, will let you know how my first loaf turns out.
Thank you again.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough Starter from Alaska to Colorado Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page