Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  12:12:21 AM  Show Profile
My sis in law called this afternoon to see if I was interested in this loom. She bought it very cheaply not long ago and just dosn't have the room for it and said she has been having such problems with her eyesight that she dosn't think she will ever actually weave on it. She is selling it to me (on the family payment plan..) for what she paid for it. I am so excited. Here are two views of it. It is sorta sitting in the entryway of my living room until tomorrow when I have time to move things around and put it in place.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  05:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh Jenny!!! How neat!!!! I love things like that! Do you know how to use it? Over here in Okinawa they still make fabric for kimonoes on them and I have watched the ladies sitting and weaving such intricate designs... I am thrilled for you and enjoy!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  05:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Oooooooooo from me too!! You lucky farmgirl! I bet you are excited!! Can hardly wait to see what you come up with on that baby!
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  08:47:50 AM  Show Profile
BOY Jenny, that is a beauty, what have you made on a loom, and what will you make? You are a very handy girl.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't know how to use it, warp it, or anything yet. I have woven on my little navajo loom and on a small table loom, but not on anything like this. I love to learn new things. It will probably be next winter's obsession.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile
You lucky girl! Things just seem to fall into your lap. Can't wait to see what you make on that little honey!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  12:08:56 PM  Show Profile
I HAVE been very blessed lately, haven't I?? Seems like when I have a big dissapointment (like not getting to go to farm fair after all) something really nice happens. I sure can't complain!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

newlywood
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

59 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  1:57:16 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful! I have always wanted a loom! Congrats! Have fun learning how to use it! I am sure you will be turning out all kinds of beautiful projects in no time!

Erika in Nebraska
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  2:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Oooohh! Jenny I've always wanted to try a loom. I didn't know they came in a "reasonable" size. I thought the floor looms were all huge. Please keep us up to date on what you make and I'd love to hear all the details on setting it up and working it.
I'm soo excited for you. Enjoy
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Jenny!
The loom is beautiful!
Now I'll really jealous, Mona and a loom!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  4:41:09 PM  Show Profile
This one comes up to about the top of my chest..I am 5'8"...I like the size..but even it is hard to find a place for. Husband isn't happy today..I have been going through books and have the bedroom torn up trying to make room for the desk that is sitting in the spot in the living room where I want to put the loom..heehehe

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  10:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny, how wonderful! I'm a weaver with a loom gathering dust in the basement! Shame on me. They DO take up so much room though!

Yours looks handmade, possibly a rug loom. See how heavy the beater bar looks? If I recall correctly this type is called a rising shed loom, as the threads are pulled upwards from the top rather than downwards towards the bottom. The "shed" is the little space where you throw the shuttle. This might help you get started on finding instructions on how to use it. Do you have someone who can teach you?

I was fortunate to have a wonderful, wonderful weaving shop in the next town when I was first married. I took lessons there with some great teachers! Since the shop closed It's been hard to get threads & things in my area. I like to see/touch everything before I buy. I guess I was spoiled for so many years...

Let us hear about your progress! Maybe you will inspire me to brush the dust off my own loom!

Blessings,
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  09:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I wondered if it was a rug loom..and I assume it IS handmade. That is good to have a possible "name" for the type it is. NO I don't have a guild nearby or a shop either which makes it hard. I will keep asking around though..there is bound to be SOMEONE around here. I did know about what a shed is from my limited weaving. I have lots of books and will be searching for warping info right away. I was in a spinning/weaving guild at one time in Calif..and boy..it does help to have people right there to give hands on advice and help!
Thanks for your help so far!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  12:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
there is a shop in provo heindselman's that teaches weaving they may know something if you ever come that way bring a picture to them and so they can see it maybe even call ahead to make sure the right person will be there or maybe they will let you mail in a photo and be able tot help you that way. The owners name is ted

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, its beautiful. I saw one like that in one of our historical parks. How old is it? You will have fun on it. Congrats.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile
I have been to Heindselmans MANY times..I will have to do just that..I bet they COULD help. Don't know when I will get a chance to go up there next (after our Friday tea..and not time for stopping in Provo that day) but it will be a stop to make for sure..I love that place anyway!!
Michele..I am not sure how old it is..my sis in law bought it at an antique/thrift store in Calif. and she didn't know either. It is a mystery for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  4:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I just love that store it doesn't hurt that I have been a teacher there in the past so they are real kind to me and my kids when we come in. I taugh crochet ( 6 differnt classes like baby bonnet, dresses and afghans that sort of thing not weaving) and romanian lace there

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic new loom!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page