Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile
About two months ago I really cutback my hours at work so I could be home with our kids more. Two or three weeks in my husband was teasing me about how domestic I was acting, while making a nice dinner. I told him I could stop if he would like. He promptly said no that he actually liked it. All I hear are encouraging words now. He didn't even complain when my Christmas list was all focused around stuff form domestic projects instead of "fun stuff.". I think he is really catching on that this is fun for me. He was quite happy when after researching worm bins I decided I didn't really want one, but otherwise whatever new projects I seem to come up with he has been very onboard with.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  09:39:53 AM  Show Profile
My DH is slowly catching on that Farmgirls and me are not going to go away. He is getting me (I'm not supose to know) books that I wanted and sewing stuff for Christmas since he says it does me good since I am not working right now. He has his hobbies too but usually helps with my big ones, like the garden. The town won't let me have chickens so that is off the table for now but we are just renting so maybe next year. There have been things I have brought up that he just outright says no to like buying a dehydrater, he says it costs to much and what would we ever put in it anyway. Little does he know that I have done my homework so I hope sooner than later that he will say it is OK.

I have really loved reading this thread and will keep checking in on it too.

Merry Christmas!

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amarquardt
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amy
Lindenhurst Illinois
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  9:49:42 PM  Show Profile
It has been fun to read through these posts. I have a husband who has never truly been on board with the whole farmgirl idea either. I have just had to learn to let go of some of my dreams and concentrate on the ones that are truly important. When he's sees my wishes are strong in some areas he is usually willing to help out and go along. I've also learned that if I respect his wishes on certain areas he is more willing to commit on others. Just because we each of different ideas does not mean that either one of us is wrong, just different. We need to look at things from each perspective.
Go to Top of Page

artfulsister
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Terri
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Angela, I am so glad you started this thread. I am sure it is a topic many of us are interested in.
My husband is wonderful, but he too does not get this farmgirl stuff. We have been together over 20 years, and he knows having a farm has been my lifelong dream. But to him? If I say the word "farm" he gets all quiet and broody. He hears "farm" and he thinks dairy farm, up at the crack of dawn, with so much work you don't have a minute to yourself. I keep telling him, that is not what I am picturing. I have to describe to him what a farm means to me. He is starting to get it. But I do think he is just fearful that he will have to do some of the work (or maybe all?). He is though ready to do it. I just wish he didn't look like a dog being taken to the vet!
btw, I do think he is really interested in renewable energy, so that is a good thing!
Hugs,
Terri

Every day is a new opportunity for joy!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:04:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bensgrandma

He tells me he hates it when I say "I've been thinking...." because that means work for him. On the other hand whenever he wants to try a new project or hobby I am right on board with it

OMG! That's what my DH says too! When I say "I've been thinking..." He says "I hate it when you think! It just means work for me."

And whoever said that about the chickens and the goats mine is just the opposite. We have chickens and he so far refuses to have goats. But I'm still working on that. And bees.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience

OMG! That's what my DH says too! When I say "I've been thinking..." He says "I hate it when you think! It just means work for me."

And whoever said that about the chickens and the goats mine is just the opposite. We have chickens and he so far refuses to have goats. But I'm still working on that. And bees.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  2:52:26 PM  Show Profile
You know, there is a WHOLE science about when to ask your sweet man for things. Never ask when he's just finished a day's work. Never ask for things when he's tired or hungry or the kids are crying. Wait till he's rested, happy, cuddly, and then put the request in a compliment sandwich. First remind him how grateful you are for the GREAT job he did on something he did for you. Then, tell him how much you'd appreciate his hard work on XYZ, THEN tell him how lucky you feel to have such a handy supportive guy in your life. Viola! If that doesn't do it, mention how great your ex was at something. If that doesn't light a fire under him, save your money and have it done or do it yourself!

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Husband not "on board"????? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page