Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic live every day... Next Topic  

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  7:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
This come from someone who had recently lost his wife at a very young age.

A friend of mine opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up a silk paper wrapped package:

'This, - he said - isn't any ordinary package.'

He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper and the box.

'She got this the first time we went to New York , 8 or 9 years ago. She has never put it on , was saving it for a special occasion.

Well, I guess this is it.

He got near the bed and placed the gift box next to the other clothing he was taking to the funeral house, his wife had just died.

He turned to me and said:

'Never save something for a special occasion.

Every day in your life is a special occasion'.

I still think those words changed my life.

Now I read more and clean less.

I sit on the porch without worrying about anything.

I spend more time with my family, and less at work.

I understood that life should be a source of experience to be lived up to, not survived through.

I no longer keep anything.

I use crystal glasses every day...

I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if I feel like it..

I don't save my special perfume for special occasions, I use it whenever I want to.

T he words 'Someday....' and ' One Day....' are fading away from my dictionary.

; If it's worth seeing, listening or doing, I want to see, listen or do it now....

I don't know what my friend's wife would have done if she knew she wouldn't be there the next morning, this nobody can tell..

I think she might have called her relatives and closest friends. She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels.

I'd like to think she would go out for Chinese, her favourite food.

It's these small things that I would regret not doing, if I knew my time had come..

Each day, each hour, each minute, is special.

Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no-one..

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2011 :  7:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Great reminder for all of us. Every day is special. Stop waiting for someday to arrive and do it now!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  04:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Annette that is so right, I have been living that way for some time. It hit me one day that I was not enjoying life, I was doing all things that was meant to be my responsiblities. Now I do take that time to read, tea on the porch, talks with friends, etc. I realized that I could enjoy a friend or loved one in my, not so perfect little place. For they weren't there to see my home they are there to see me. My first marriage, the house was ALWAYS spic and span, 3 full meals a day, never went to bed until everything was picked up and in this place. I remember I never went places or for that fact, rested and enjoyed anything. And he left me, for another. Thats when I realized that I have to take care of me, relax and enjoy life, I thought my whole world depended on keeping him happy. Then I saw that I have to be happy with who I am, to share my happiness with others. Well I have rattled on and basically just wanted to tell you I agree with what you have posted. Thank you, Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Annette, that is so true. I think we were all raised to do the housework and cooking and raise kids, then think of ourselves. Like the saying goes, take time to smell the roses!!!!!

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, wow, not rambling, sharing...and thank you! Funny I think your story described my mom and my first marriage, and honestly, what happened. Hugs right back at you.
This story came in an email from my old boss. 5 years ago my DH and I decided I would be a stay at home mom. My boss and I, are still very close. It was perfect timing for him to send this reminder. I was on the phone with my DH, who works 7/12's a week, and I was crying because the house is messy, laundry is behind, my freezer got unplugged, and lots more.... Then an email alert interrupted my little fit. It hit me, and I posted it here. It's a great reminder, especially because in July, we list my FIL in a farming accident. We truely do not know when we will not have tomorrow, so what will we do with today?

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

SRhea
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sue
San Angelo TX
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your post. I really needed that.
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  10:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing...

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder - I decided to cut back on an obligation and I was feeling a little guilty about it. I've been spreading myself too thin for too long. This affirmed my decision was good. Thanks again.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  1:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Annette, thank you soo soo much for the reminder, we get so caught up in life's never ending drama of family issues, world issues, work, bills and all the rest, that we forget to look up from our immediate lives and realize how important and fragile life truly is. I lost my mom who was only 64, so suddenly that it took a long time to come to grip with her death. I probably annoy my sweet man by telling him that I love him so often, but I never want it unsaid and forgotten. I don't ever want to take our lives for granted. I learned that lesson when my mom died so suddenly, and I hadn't patched up a tiff between us. I never got to say "I love you mama" one last time. Don't go to bed angry at some one that you love, fights aren't worth it, try to patch it up first. Say what is in your heart to everyone that you love. Don't put things that you really want to do on the back burner, do them as soon as possible. Regrets and broken dreams never really go away.

Live, love laugh!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1502 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile
So true...thanks for sharing!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2011 :  2:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for sharing...the little eastern plains in Colorado towns of Kit Carson and Eads...in the blink of an eye,our little community lost a foster dad and 5 foster children he was taking 12 to school and run into the back of a semi in construction zone..7 are critical and 6 are gone..who knows what the days to come will bring..your sharing came at a time when nothing makes sense, but yet gives hope and a nudge to enjoy and not say someday or one day...it can all change in an instant..love all your people hard as if there were no tomorrow...cause there may not be a tomorrow...I ask you all on bended knee pray for the momma n kids left behind and the communities that loved them...Blessings farm girls..Love Nana Shirl..

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile
What a tragic loss Nana Shirl....we will be praying for them
and the ones left behind, for strength and healing.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Linda..thank you so very much.. services for all 6 is taking place as I type at the Eads High School...my husband and I decided to not go..there will be many there as well as media..we will offer our help at a later date as our way of honoring this family..we have had 2 other funerals this week n we just could not go to this service...again thank you for prayers from our lil towns on the eastern plains...Blessings Shirl

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So awful! Prayers going up for this family. I'm glad this post helped, or was encouraging to you. I received it shortly after we lost my father-in-law in an unexpected farming accident. It was touching for both myself, and my DH.
Take care Shirley, (((hugs to you)))

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile
My sister lost her husband suddenly a few years ago (he didn't make it to 45). They were always "going to" travel, go out for a weekly date, etc.
Let the house be messy, now's the time. For what? For everything.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile
This is a very good reminder, and it's something (for some reason) that is very difficult to keep true to. I was just reminding my husband last night (not to be morbid) that nothing in our lives is guaranteed, and he should make amends with his mother and his family, so that one day, if something happens to me, he can be surrounded with support when he truly needs it. I guess I was reminded of a sister in law of a friend, who was diagnosed with a rapid form of pancreatic cancer last year and died Thursday, at 38...leaving 2 babies and a husband behind. I just turned 38 and it really hit home to me--to not be able to see my little girl grow up? Beyond overwhelming...and so, I am trying, day by day, to subscribe to this very mission. Thanks for posting.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  12:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I went through almost the same thing! I did everything to please my ex, and nothing to please myself. I'm divorced now and enjoying life to the fullest. 2 months after my divorce was official I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was in the lowest of lows struggling with major depression for over 6 years. I like to think now it was God's wake up call, to quit felling sorry for myself and start living. It was caught early and I have an excellent prognosis. Now I'm living! I don't have much material possessions (but lots of material LOL), but I have a lot of new memories and experiences.
Like the song says "live like you were dying"
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Erika, wow. Thank you for sharing! So pleased your prognosis is good! My DH's favorite song now, after losing his father is live like you were dying. In fact I had it in the slideshow soundtract at his "celebration of life." What a great message that song carries.
I hope life continues to bring many great memories! Sometimes God really needs to rock our world, or shake our self-established foundations to bring us out of complacency or self-pity. I know that is what it took for me. But praise God he will never give us more then we can bare, and He blessed us with strength and so much more when we open our eyes!
(((Hugs)))

Go to Top of Page

sunnyp
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Cheryllynn
Rainier WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  9:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I love this, I live life each day, I wake every morning giving Thanks and Praise to our dear heavenly Father, life is meant to be lived not waited on for things to get right. I kiss my husband each day before he goes to work, tell him I love him and my kids and family and friends. I love watching the sunrise or seeing the heavens (fog) drift thru the trees, picnics in the park or my own backyard, the sound of music outside or inside, walking or running, taking friends for a walk,fixing dinner for them, or just taking them lunch. I love giving to the to the homeless, a slumber party in the backyard or just being still and knowing that he is God. I love droping little notes to girlfriends or old aquaintances just to lift them up, the silence of snow falling so beautiful as they twist and turn as if falling to a lulluby.

All love is sweet, given or return. Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  06:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Cheryllynn, that was so sweet. I live what you said about living life, not waiting for it to happen...
And welcome to mjf, I see this is your third post. Hope to read many many more, and looking forward to getting to know you.

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  06:56:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for this wonderful reminder. It really is so easy to get wrapped up in life and truly forget to live. When we were first dating, my now hubby would comment how cute it was because I would get distracted by a cloud or a delicate flower and lose all train of thought. Several years ago (after having 3 kids in 4 years), he mentioned that I never do that anymore and I realized I wasn't taking the time to see the world around me. Now he and the boys tease me a little bit when I make them stop to look at something, but every once in a while, one of them will find something so it's a good thing.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  07:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Wendy,That's one of my favorite quotes from Bob Marley. Because of that quote, 12 years ago I named our beautiful lynix Marley, didn't care she was a girl! Lol

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:23:44 PM  Show Profile
No truer words. Thanks for that post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic live every day... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page