True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello sisters,

My husband is just not getting this whole farmgirl sisterhood, glamping, etc. thing. My heart is just breaking. I desperately want to have an old trailer and fix it up and even though we have the resources he thinks that it is a ridiculous idea. I even showed him some ideas in Mary Jane's Outpost book thinking that visuals might help and he just shook his head. My question is- do any of you girls out there have the same problem and if so, how do you deal with it? Thanks so much for listening.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  03:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes! My husband is the same way. Usually the way we resolve it is that I point out he has his hobbies and I have mine. To some degree we have to do the "If you spend $100 on your hobbies, I get to spend $100 on mine and we don't pass judgement on each other." This really seems to work for us because then we realize that if we want to make a large expenditure, then we should be prepared to support the other in their expenditure as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  05:55:29 AM  Show Profile
My husband does not want to "play" either. When I mention a camper, or point one out that is for sale, he doesn't even respond. Otherwise when I talk about something Farmgirl he listens but doesn't seem to be THAT interested if you know what I mean.
But he's a good fella anyway, and he does like the idea of taking something and repurposing it or restoring so I'm taking that as something Farmgirl-ish we can do together.

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  07:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'd like to restore a camper someday, but right now it's just not in our plans at all. Right now we are restoring an old house. And my guy (we're not married yet) shakes his head in disbelief at me on a regular basis. At first he thought I was nuts for taking on this old house, but there's no mortgage on it. Yes paid for! Just the cost of utilities, taxes and remodeling. But anything farmgirl or crafty he's like "you a farmgirl? yeah sure." And repurposing- yeah that's fun with him. He just can't wrap his mind around it. He doesn't understand why I won't just buy new. I think it has a lot to do with the way he was raised. It took me forever to convince that it was okay in fact a good idea to buy clothes on the clearance rack. Ahhh men gotta love 'em.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile
Angela,
I have to wonder why he's reacting that way?
If you've done some restoration work before or are thinking of buying new -- I have to wonder if he's just jealous.
Does he go off to ballgames or fishing with his buddies?

Is it trailer restoration/ownership that bothers him or is it the idea of you going off and having a grand time without him?
Is it the Farmgirl Sisterhood that he doesn't like? (that's just bad juju...)

On the other hand, (and please don't take this the wrong way) -- might he be concerned that the work of the restoration or other upkeep might fall to him? If so, he may have a valid point.

Yet you are the one who is feeling hurt, so something is definitely wrong.
I hope you can talk this out and come to an understanding.

I hope you can have your trailer and go glamping--happily and without guilt.
Hugs!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  09:42:58 AM  Show Profile
My Hubby has to handle alot of the heavy work around here even for my projects. He is willin to do it because I help him with his projects and with the chores as much as I physically can.

I even had to take off, and put back on, his motorcycle fender when he wrecked and his arms were all raw and chewed up. He couldn't stand the fender diggin into his arm, so I wound up with 2 cuts on my arm from the removal proccess. He had to have it fixed for the childrens miracle ride the next weekend.

We pass chores back and forth in trade for help with something. We have even 'traded' bedroom favors for help with really big stuff. I earned an hours back massage for makin a leather cover for his dented fuel tank.

Try askin your Hubby why he doesn't like the idea. Maybe he's worried about the work. Offer to trade him chores for his help when you need it, but always pay up or he'll never trust the trade agian.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile
thank you all for the replies..it is definately comforting to know that there are others out there dealing with the same thing! For the most part, I think that it has a lot to do with the fact that we have a newer 25ft Komfort trailer. I do not enjoy pulling it because it is so long and I am the one who goes camping with it so he feels like I am "double dipping". I have stated that I would like to sell it..it is just the two of us now, we are empty nesters. I will keep praying about it and see what happens..again, thank you sisters!
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Woodworker

Angela,
I have to wonder why he's reacting that way?
If you've done some restoration work before or are thinking of buying new -- I have to wonder if he's just jealous.
Does he go off to ballgames or fishing with his buddies?

Is it trailer restoration/ownership that bothers him or is it the idea of you going off and having a grand time without him?
Is it the Farmgirl Sisterhood that he doesn't like? (that's just bad juju...)

On the other hand, (and please don't take this the wrong way) -- might he be concerned that the work of the restoration or other upkeep might fall to him? If so, he may have a valid point.

Yet you are the one who is feeling hurt, so something is definitely wrong.
I hope you can talk this out and come to an understanding.

I hope you can have your trailer and go glamping--happily and without guilt.
Hugs!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

Farmgirl Sister#2808
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
This made me smile ;D
quote:
Originally posted by natesgirl

My Hubby has to handle alot of the heavy work around here even for my projects. He is willin to do it because I help him with his projects and with the chores as much as I physically can.

I even had to take off, and put back on, his motorcycle fender when he wrecked and his arms were all raw and chewed up. He couldn't stand the fender diggin into his arm, so I wound up with 2 cuts on my arm from the removal proccess. He had to have it fixed for the childrens miracle ride the next weekend.

We pass chores back and forth in trade for help with something. We have even 'traded' bedroom favors for help with really big stuff. I earned an hours back massage for makin a leather cover for his dented fuel tank.

Try askin your Hubby why he doesn't like the idea. Maybe he's worried about the work. Offer to trade him chores for his help when you need it, but always pay up or he'll never trust the trade agian.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

Farmgirl Sister#2808
Go to Top of Page

ShilohsHaven2011
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachel
Crossville TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:07:43 AM  Show Profile
The area my hisband diesn't want to get on board with is my recycling. He broke down and got us a horse, and we waited a year for the chickens to be his idea. Usually what I have to do with DH is this, I make a suggestion and talk about something a couple of times and then sit back and wait for him to "think of it on his own".
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, you made me laugh,
Hey, at least you got your chickens!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  7:12:36 PM  Show Profile
That is funny Rachel. Your DH sounds pretty old-fashioned. Way back when, women had to "hint" or just talk nonchalantly about a subject and then sit back to wait for their DH to come up with a "grand idea". I had no idea it was still around.
Oh! That's too funny! [;D]

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  9:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Great advice!
quote:
Originally posted by ShilohsHaven2011

The area my hisband diesn't want to get on board with is my recycling. He broke down and got us a horse, and we waited a year for the chickens to be his idea. Usually what I have to do with DH is this, I make a suggestion and talk about something a couple of times and then sit back and wait for him to "think of it on his own".

Farmgirl Sister#2808
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I had to laugh over all these funny stories..cause I don't have this problem...now with my 1st husband I did the wifey thing & asked him & if he said no I dealt with it.....or gave in....Sadly he died after us being only married 4 1/2 yrs but I waited 13 yrs to remarry & when I did I married a man 91/2 yrs younger than me...reason I feel in love with him was he let me do what I wanted...lol...Now if I want chickens ect I just bring them home...he knows that I will be the one taking care of them so he doesn't worry about being saddled with the chores...he will help out if I ask, am sick or gone....Yes as you can see I am the head strong type & I never accept no if its something I really want to do...but then again to be fair he is allowed to do his thing also...he brought home a parachutes so he could start jumping outside of the army! It scared me to death the 1st time I watched him jump so now he does it on his own with his buddies. I grew up on a farm, he didn't, hes a scientist, I am a artist/farmgirl. as long as he has his TV & computer I am free to have any animal I want...years ago I got a small traveling trailer from the 1950's & boy do I wish I hadn't of sold it when we moved here....be the best chicken coop! I love the bartering, letting them think its their idea comments......with me if I let him think it was his idea it would never happen...his brain is on more important science stuff...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You ladies make me smile! I am glad I am not the only one who has a husband who drags his feet. Sometimes I have to just say "I am doing this because it makes me happy" and sometimes I have to hint and let him suggest it. Most of the time as long as I am not asking him to do the work he is fine with it.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  3:20:12 PM  Show Profile
I am going to remember to say that Alee- " I am doing this because it makes me happy"!!! Thanks! I did go and buy some pink cowgirl sheets to put on the Komfort trailer bed to make me feel a little better and I did go ahead and join Sisters on the Fly for a leap of faith ;D

Farmgirl Sister#2808
Go to Top of Page

Auntie L
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Laura
Auburn WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  12:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I just read through this post. It's interesting how hobbies and interests affect a marriage relationship. I saved asking about getting chickens for when we went away for our anniversary, because it seems like we are often busy and our conversations get interrupted at home. I wanted to have enough time to say what I wanted to say and give him time for an honest, thoughful reponse. For my dear husband, it came down to the fact that chickens cost about the same as a good composter, but you get eggs too! :) There have been a few other things like that I want to do, and have tried to wait for the right moment to bring it up. He is so kind though, he pretty much lets me do whatever I want to do. He doesn't even expect me to clean the chicken coop! He says, "No, that's not a job for the lady of the house, plus it bothers your allergies." This is true, but I still figured that since it was my idea, it should be my responsibility. It is great having so much support, (but then, I support him too.) :)

I'm a Mama/Stepmama to 4 young adults, I homeschool, I am a preschool Directess, and the Children's Ministry Director at our church, and I love my husband to BITS!
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you do have a wonderful husband! How many years have you been married??
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie L

I just read through this post. It's interesting how hobbies and interests affect a marriage relationship. I saved asking about getting chickens for when we went away for our anniversary, because it seems like we are often busy and our conversations get interrupted at home. I wanted to have enough time to say what I wanted to say and give him time for an honest, thoughful reponse. For my dear husband, it came down to the fact that chickens cost about the same as a good composter, but you get eggs too! :) There have been a few other things like that I want to do, and have tried to wait for the right moment to bring it up. He is so kind though, he pretty much lets me do whatever I want to do. He doesn't even expect me to clean the chicken coop! He says, "No, that's not a job for the lady of the house, plus it bothers your allergies." This is true, but I still figured that since it was my idea, it should be my responsibility. It is great having so much support, (but then, I support him too.) :)

I'm a Mama/Stepmama to 4 young adults, I homeschool, I am a preschool Directess, and the Children's Ministry Director at our church, and I love my husband to BITS!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  03:37:51 AM  Show Profile
my hubby thought i was crazy the first time i told him i was going to cook in the fireplace...now he prefers the meals cooked that way because they taste so much better. when i talk about getting a camper down the road he gets that look, but my hubby knows how strong willed i am and that i'll do it no matter what he says, lol. luckily he likes most of the same things that i do, so it's really a non-issue.
connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ - Soap & Candle
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ -My Personal Blog
http://www.prairiefarmherbs.com/ -Herb Plants for the Home Garden
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ -My Online Thrift Shop

Edited by - naturemaiden on Nov 13 2011 03:38:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  5:59:16 PM  Show Profile
I just asked my husband about this...the bartering to make hobby spending even...he laughed and said bulls***. LOL He wouldn't object to my having a trailer or meeting the rest of the girls. He would be concerned about my pulling the trailer and arriving safely. And of course he'd miss me fiercely. In my first marriage...my husband never said anything about what I did, where I went or who I was with. Kind of a lonely 32 years. I'm glad my husband wants me around...I'm glad he's concerned for my safety.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://smallfreckleddog.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Where in the world do you get pink cowgirl sheets? LOL THAT is something I need to know!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Amgela,

Even if your 25footer isnt your first choice in "glampers" you could still do a little customizing. I understand about the too long part but until he changes his mind at least you can still fulfill some of your glamper dreams!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  08:53:39 AM  Show Profile
I am down to doing this on my own right now, because my sweetums dosen't think that I CAN run a handkerchief sized farm on my own and he doesn't want to end up doing all of the farm work. We started out with a plan to build a small sustainable farm on small acreage, but in the last 10 years my eyesight has seriously gone down hill, as well as my health, and now its arthritis. Andrew is protective of me and that is causing a bit of a problem as I really want to retrain my body to do as much and more as I can. Another thing that has soured his opinion is living on a farm with a friend of his and his wife, we have differences in how a farm should be run and he is, due to these differences, just burnt out on the whole farm thing.

So I'm starting out small. Fencing in our big yard, building a fabulous chicken coop, buying chicks and eventually when I have my own piece of property, a mini jersey some turkeys and some roasting chickens...I just have to do things slowly to prove to him that I'm capable still

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:32:28 AM  Show Profile
Annika, your "never give up your dreams spirit" is inspiring!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  11:07:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm not married yet, either, but MOST of the time, Josh is on board with what I want. We both want at least a little land (he grew up in Lubbock, and spent a little time when he was very young in Oregon) and we like older houses. He's not a cat person, but allowed me to adopt a cat. He doesn't pick on me for wearing an apron... silly boy thinks it's "sexy" (Dear Lord, I hate that word!) and he LOVES that I bake and cook. We're getting into repurposing more and more and he's fine with it.

The only thing that happened recently was when I mentioned wanting Chickens he shut it down immediately with a big loud "NO" and reminded me that he was ok with goats, but no chickens. He didn't say why.. jus the big fat NO. I guess I should talk to him about it, since it hurt me so much.

I must say, I do love the barter thing. We do that a lot. If I fix a big supper, he cleans the dishes. I help him fix his car and he changes my oil.

I guess it's give and take whether you've been together a year or 40. Communication is key, which is what my Momma keeps trying to teach me. I am lucky, he does support me most of the time. It's just a matter of money, at this point LOL!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.tawnycow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile
When I read these posts they made me smile. When we bought this house, I was a tomboy "burg" kind of girl. I could ride a minibike and do a lot of boy things but farming was not on my agenda. A house with a well and oil heat. I learned to prime a well, we bought chickens, goats and a horse one by one. He said he married a city girl and turned her into a farmgirl. We've had a lot of fun (and fights) doing things.

He tells me he hates it when I say "I've been thinking...." because that means work for him. On the other hand whenever he wants to try a new project or hobby I am right on board with it.

I would do it all again (well maybe not purchasing 100 peeps the first time out).

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile
When I first met my husband, I told him that I was going to have chickens and a homestead again and if he wasn't up for it, don't even date me. His reply was that he would build me things, but not to expect him to take care of any of the animals. Fast forward 5 years. He loves the chickens as much as I do, I saw him nuzzling on a rabbit the other day. He rototills me new gardens when I ask him to and last month built the chickens a sturdy new coop. He told me the other day that he isn't doing this for the animals, but because he loves me. Like Laura, he pretty much lets me do whatever I want. I clean the coop and the rabbit hutch because I like doing it. My students help me in the gardens. It all works out.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Husband not "on board"????? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page