Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any knitters out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any knitters out there? Next Topic
Page: of 2

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  06:54:46 AM  Show Profile
I started knitting about 4 years ago, and it has been a great stress reliever for me. I'm just curious to see who else is out there, and what you guys are working on. Right now, I have the straps to finish for a felted purse and the back just about completed for a summer sweater.

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  07:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherri!

I'm a knitter and agree about it being a great stress reliever. I learned about 5 years ago. In the beginning, I was really focused on the finished product and getting it "just right." But now, I'm much more relaxed about it and just enjoy the actual process of knitting. Don't get me wrong, I do love the finished sweaters, scarves, hats and such and love to give them as gifts, but I don't mind having to take things apart and re-do them to get the guage just right anymore (in fact, I expect it!).

I'm currently working on a little pair of pants for my son:

'Course, I'm also working on a baby blanket for my nephew due in October, a vest for Jackson, lace scarf for me and a few other things. Can knitters really just have one project going at a time?

How is your felting going? I've haven't felted yet, but I know you can make such adorable things by felting.

Happy knitting!

Catherine

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Knitting is a great stress reliever - unless your ripping out because you just found a mistake you made 10 rows back!! We have a little knitting group that meets once a month, The Knit Wits. We've been together a year now and really have a great time. To me, that is one of the best gatherings- sitting and knitting and talking with friends!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherri,

I took a beginning knitting class a couple years ago. I am not a prolific knitter, but so far I have finished several scarves and a beautiful felted tote bag from the book 'Felted Knits' by Beverly Galeskas. I wish I had a digital camera to send you a photo, but I'm not there yet! Before I felted that bag it was big enough to wear as a skirt!

Have you ever felted anything before? I really loved doing that project. I did mine in a zippered pillow case to keep the fibers out of the washing machine workings. At least that's what the book says. And there were lots of fibers.

Thanks for starting this topic. I will have to think about starting another project!

susan kate
Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! Ripping out doesn't seem to bother me too much anymore either. I suppose that's why I like felting because it hides so many mistakes except you have to make sure you don't have any holes before you start to felt! I've felted coasters, slippers, and purses. You really must try it if you haven't. Today I am going to a sewing/knitting store to get some more needles, and I think I may pick up a needle felting kit. Has anyone tried her hand at that? When I get home I may have to post pics of my projects...That is if I have time since I have to start TWO baby sweaters! I'm hoping they won't take long since I am using the pattern from One Skein.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I cant really call myself a kniter yet but I am trying I have knitted 200 scarfs last year for christmas but that was a simple drop stitch for the girls and straight knitting for the boys. I can do the basics but not the stuff I want to do like increase and decrease fancy holes in it to make lace and things like that but I am trying my grandmother tells me I don't need one more hobby. Funny she likes it when I get a new skill and send her something that I made.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 30 2006 09:01:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  08:59:06 AM  Show Profile
I love to knit..learned when I was 7 from an aunt. I mostly knit socks and dish cloths..things I can take along places with me. I have been in a quilting phase the last few months..but always have the stuff for knitting a project ready to go. My next project is some socks for my husband in a nice wool blend for winter. Maybe for his birthday in October I will have them done. I do knit baby things and sweaters and stuff sometimes too, but I just love to do socks.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile
Sunshine, if you were to give up your crocheting, lace-making, tatting, and quilting and just focused on knitting, I'm positive your work would be incredible! You DO have a lot of hobbies and you're amazing at each one (loved seeing your creations on the "Handmade by Sunshine" thread!).

Aunt Jenny, I also love to always have a dishcloth going...easy to knit a few here and there. Do you have a favorite pattern for men's socks? I've knit women's socks, but haven't yet found a good pattern I like for men.

Happy knitting!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile
I know how to knit but haven't done a lot of it for some while. I joined a local group but these ladies evidently have bottomless bank accounts because I could NEVER afford to make some of the things they were working on.
So, at this point, I'm a broke and frustrated knitter.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jana! You're not far from me up here in the Midwest!

I totally hear you on the expensive yarn thing. Sometimes I splurge, but more often than not these days, I need to find deals and recycle stuff. Have you tried recycling sweaters from second-hand shops to use the yarn for new things? Super easy. Also, if you're not above knitting with acrylic (I knit with all kinds of fibers these days!), Jo-Ann's sells a "pound of love" skein of yarn for $5. That's right, $5! I made a baby sweater, bonnet, booties and blanket all from one skein of this stuff for my neice-on-the-way. And acrylic is actually great for babies since it's machine washable!

You can also check your second-hand shops/goodwill shops or even eBay for bags of "old" yarn. I known I've come across little stashes like this here and there.

Good luck finding the deals!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Cathrine: The pattern I like best for mens socks is Called Iowa crew cruise socks. It is in a little booklet..crud..can't think of the name of the company and I have all their patterns I think!!
Cottage creations I think.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  5:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I love knitting, and weaving, and spinning - today I attended the HGA conference "convergence" in Grand Rapids - tomorrow is the last day. Textiles of all types to DYE for (Ha! pun intended) and buttons - Oh my gosh, such beautiful buttons... beads, baskets, I was in heaven.

Since my stash is in pretty good shape I bought mostly books - I may never get all the yarn I have knit up. Most of it is on cones for machine knitting. I did get a tool for my sister's loom.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jun 30 2006 5:25:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  9:35:21 PM  Show Profile
When I am really stressed, knitting is my drug of choice...I always feel so much better after knitting a few rows, but sometimes I get caught up and have to "just finish this row" and before I know it, the whole sock is done! Or dishtowel, or sleeve etc...
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:36:52 PM  Show Profile
If you do find old yarn on ebay or elsewhere, if the color is really ugly, you can overdye it and make it a beautiful yarn color.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  09:23:34 AM  Show Profile
I love to knit! Learned when I was about 9 so I've been at it for 40+ years or so. I mostly knit socks because they are small, portable and fast...well not always[;)

Right now I'm supposed to be knitting an Aran sweater for myself but I'm not sure where it is....................the danger of too many projects.

[quote]Originally posted by cmandle

Aunt Jenny, I also love to always have a dishcloth going...easy to knit a few here and there. Do you have a favorite pattern for men's socks? I've knit women's socks, but haven't yet found a good pattern I like for men.

I'm not Aunt Jenny but my favorite men's sock to knit is Ladder of Life socks. It's available free on the internet somewhere. Just Google it.

It's a great pattern and fast because it's made with worsted weight yarn.

Marcia who's trying to go to Farm Fair today.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2006 :  5:07:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear that a lot of you like to knit socks! I made my son some socks and now that's all he wants to wear! I'm starting on some for my 2 yr. "baby" as soon as I get the gifts finished. Knitting can be so expensive, and then so can sewing. It all depends on where you get it and how much you want to put into it. I love the Web though because I can always find somewhere cheaper to get the yarn. However, that can make me feel guilty because I'm not supporting a local business.....
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I am a knitter with no projects right now mainly because I am moving. But I agree that knitting can be so relaxing. Last year I knitted enough dishclothes to take care of the entire county. I could zone out and relax while I knitted them.

I'd also like to try making socks but I'm not fond of double pointed needles. Has any one seen or tried Socks Soar on two Circular Needles. I can't find this locally and i really hate buying a book without looking at it.

Also if I decide not to buy this book can any one give me a tip on how not to get a little gap at the end - beginning of every round. No matter what I try there always seems to be one.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  10:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm not an experienced knitter but I did take a class on knitting socks on two circular needles. I had never knit socks before. Our teacher told us to use this method http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html This is a great site with pictures. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile
That is something I would love to learn. I have always used either 4 or 5 double points.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine!

I'm definitely not above knitting with acrylic. I have tried to work with some wools that were as terrible to handle as the cheapest synthetic, so its all about how yarn 'feels' to me.

I rummaged around and found 2 skeins of Lion Brand homespun in the color 'nouveau' and started a bias knit scarf. I found several patterns on the web and once I got the idea of what others were doing, I worked out my own pattern. So far I love it!

Jana

p.s. what is your fav yarn shop in the cities???
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  5:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Joann. That is what is so wonderful about this forum, you ask a question and someone has an answer that you never thought of and usually it's less expensive then the one you thought of. And less hard on mother earth then the normal ones.

I'm anxious to try socks. I have read the patterns and I have to admit that every time they said to turn the heel, I thought you turned the knitting around and went in the other direction or something. I have finally found a couple of web sites that show you knitting socks step by step. Finally I know what turning the heel means.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi I hate turning the heels. I love the ribbing, love the stockinette stitch part but hate to do heels. I only finished the one pair because the teacher was sitting next to me when I was doing it and guided me through every step. I find it very stressful sooooo since I want wool socks, I'm going to try a tube sock made with wool. Has everything I like to do but not the stress! Let ya know how they turn out. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2006 :  6:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Joann,

Here are a couple of web sites that take you step by step through turning the heel. I didn't have a clue until I found these. I really don't think it looks that hard once you see how it's done.

The sites are: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm
and http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  12:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you must try knitting socks. The previously mentioned website of royea.net has the easiest pattern ever for making socks! I could never get them started because the yarn and the needles were so small, but her sock pattern calls for worsted weight yarn and size 5 needles. It made it soooo much easier.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny and Marcia: Thanks for the tips on men's sock patterns. I can't wait to check them out! I have just the yarn for Dan and would love to start in a pair for him for fall.

Jana: I'm a big fan of "Depth of Field" yarn store in the Cedar-Riverside area in Minneapolis. In fact, I should probably say that that's "my" yarn shop since I rarely go anywhere else. BUT, with baby on board and the budget getting tighter lately, my yarn shop has turned into my closet! I mean, I have to STOP before I run out to BUY yarn because I probably already HAVE what I'm looking for in my CLOSET! :) I do frequent Jo-Ann's of late too, as I mentioned with that "Bundle of Love" acrylic yarn. I agree about the yarn just having to "feel" good in your hands. And boy, that layette set for my sister's babe was adorable, $5 yarn and all!

Can't wait to hear how turning heels goes for everyone! My good friend (and soon to be farmgirl!) Laura also hates doing socks on double-points (I love it!) and I was about to offer her up for suggestions on doing it with two circs. Sounds like you've all got it covered.

Happy knitting!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

lcelmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Lana
Woodburn OR
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  07:22:29 AM  Show Profile
I knit when I'm not sewing or quilting. My favorite pattern is the Incredible, custom fit raglan sweater. It is knit in the round using circular needles. http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html

Yarn is pretty expensive, but I do most of my stuff for my kids, and they are just fine in cheapo yarn. www.Knitpicks.com seems to be a good (and inexpensive) site for wool.

I did the raglan for my 2 year old daughter this christmas with about 2 skeins of redheart varigated. (total cost under $8) It was so fun to work on! There is not much shaping, so a great pattern for working on while doing other stuff. Walking, radio, etc.

I am currently doing more hand piecing for a dolly quilt that knitting, (It's too hot to knit) but I have a pair of socks that I am in the middle of. I really like Cat Bordi's book on knitting socks on 2 circulars instead of DPNs. (the stitches dont fall off as easily, and it seems to go faster for me) These is another site out there http://knitpicks.com/kpimages/pdf/50417220.pdf that has a two at once on cicular needles pattern that I am dying to try. Pretty much the same method as Bordi's but each sock is knit side by side on its own ball of yarn.

Have a lovely Sunday!

Lana C. :-)
Let everthing that has breath praise the Lord! Psalm 150:6
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any knitters out there? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page