msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  6:37:59 PM  Show Profile
We just got back from my very first, official camping trip. I loved it and wrote a loooong blog about it. No pics yet, I'm afraid, but I hope you will enjoy the story.

http://mylittlecountry.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/a-campin-we-will-go/

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  11:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on becoming a real camper! I loved reading about your adventures (and camping is an adventure). the first time I went camping, when I was young, we had a rented tent and no instructions. so my dad set it up with the poles on the inside. This was back in the 1970's,, guess tents have evolved since then. I love tent camping, especially being awakened by a chorus of owls at five thirty. What kind of rocks did you find? I've never been to Arkansas but I guess it's sort of like the Missouri Ozarks. I want to go camping soon, before it gets too hot. there is a private campground about forty miles from where I live and I'd like to go there. It's an old farm that's been turned into a wildlife refuge. I bet your kids enjoyed it, and even the dh. I have a coleman stove that I've never used and I'd really like to get some use from it. I have a pretty good sleeping bag (even when it's hot, I sleep in a sleeping bag, it helps protect you from mosquitoes). Now you've got me all excited about going camping!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  10:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amanda -

Your blog just made my day - how well I remember my first attempt at camping! But, now you're a "seasoned" camper and will be all ready for your next adventure. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do.

A little hint that a lot of us campers use is to buy extra of everything (detergent, towels, linens, paper goods, canned goods, cookware, cosmetics, etc., etc.) and keep it in plastic totes just for camping, so when you get a chance to go, even at the last minute, you have practically everything you need and can just grab the totes and leave.

Hugs!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile
Prairiehawk,

We also bought a Coleman stove and we just LOVE it. It is so awesome. My DH got up every morning and cooked us sausage (or bacon) and our fresh farm eggs. We found a lot of jasper, quartz, calcite, and a bit of amethyst. We also brought home a 5 gallon bucket of washed gravel from the crater to try and find diamonds @ home. That is free to do, courtesy of the park. The 'gravel' is GORGEOUS. It is a true rainbow of colors. I am going to put it out in my rock garden when we are sure there are no diamonds, lol.

Luanne, that is a wonderful idea. and that is so true. I did buy some enamel dinnerware, cups, and cookware. Actually, we just did put the campin' stuff in totes so that we can grab and go, but I need to stock my stash better! Packing was the worst part of the whole process, lol! I had a checklist, and even still, I left the dadgum foot pump to blow up the mattresses! I think my husband 1/2 died when I told him that. He was about 1/2 dead after blowing up 2 mattresses! Lol! So, yes, we WILL be fully stocking our totes.

Now to pray for a vintage trailer....I'm drooling over the 'canned hams'....of course, the tent IS staying. Wouldn't dream of getting rid of my tent!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  8:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Amanda,
I so enjoyed reading your blog....sill giggling over your "camp" narative....
:> )

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Lol, thanks. I still giggle over it myself sometimes ;0)

Thinking about hungry bears, full bladders, and being in the dark...I have heard some absolutely hilarious stories that trump mine lately. Too funny.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amanda, that is a great story! My husband and I tent camp all the time and I bring two down sleeping bags + the comforters.... and blanket.... and socks...and pants.... :)
We have even been snow camping in out tent which makes you REALLY REALLY appreciate the fire and all the bedding. :) :) Hope you are warmer on the next round!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I laughed till tears rolled at your blog! I've camped for ages and needed a reminder of what it feels like to be a first timer. Two tips for cold weather camping. Don't go to bed hungry. Really. You stay warmer with a full belly. Wear a stocking cap. This makes a world of difference! Hope you get to go again soon!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Lol! Thanks!

connie, I actually DID wear a hat to bed, and yes, it made a huge difference. I know that we lose most of our heat from our heads, so I am all about hats (and scarves). We may go this weekend. I am not sure yet. It will only be about 10 minutes from our house, but who cares? It will be fun!

We have decided that camping will be our family's 'thing', if you will. We all loved it so much. It won't be long 'til my girls are grown and gone and I know it! Better spend that time with them now.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Tales from the Camping Virgin! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page