Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Creative "Saturday of Silence"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Creative "Saturday of Silence" Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile

oh my goodness gurlfrenz .. i have been thinking upon something that i heard of several years ago .. and it pops into my head every now and then and i smile .. and i thought there just might be a few of you that would adore this too!

now .. i don't have a date picked out .. but i'm thinkin OCTOBER ... (will have to send honey hunk back-packing .. so there won't be any 'man' disruptions to our creativity and silence.

o.k. .. here's the story of it: a few years ago, a sweet friend and VERY gifted artist, Verlene Brooks from Oregon (who came to teach a doll class at Crooked Tree Hollow) told me of a 'creative weekend of silence' that she and a couple other friends experience each year in the autumn-time.

One of the girls has a log cabin in the woods ...

each of the girls is an 'artist' in some way .. a writer, a painter, a dollmaker .. this could include any type of 'art' or 'craft' .. be it weaving, spinning, crochet or knitting, papermaking, using clay, papeclay, paper mache, basketmaking, rug-hooking, candlemaking, baking, gardening ... and the list goes on and on and on. You can bring a 'new art' you would like to try ... or something familiar that you have done for many years .. it would be your choice of what creative endeavor to bring to this weekend.

they do have rules: (the silence part of the weekend).

they all meet at the cabin on a friday evening ... and prepare and have a nice dinner together ... they 'settle in' to their own special little spot at the cabin .. choose beds .. choose 'creativity spots' ... prepare their supplies that evening and go to bed at 10:00 p.m. (o.k. .. i mighta' made up that bedtime rule myself .. cuz' i KNOW how we women can talk all night .. and for this special weekend .. you should have lots of rested creative energy.

everyone up by 8:00 a.m. (this is NOT a sleep-in kinda' weekend).

say your goodmornings .. prepare breakfast and have a delightful ... and somewhat quiet time with quiet .. getting-into-the-creative/silence-mode conversation. then .. everyone takes a morning walk .. alone .. just with nature. or .. you might choose to sit still and do some yoga somewhere in the sunshine. upon your return to the cabins (by 10:00 a.m.) .. THERE IS NO MORE TALKING ... each girl goes her own way and CREATES ... in silence until 6:00 p.m. (a great test to see if we can be in the presence of other women for EIGHT hours and just breathe in their creative energy but not verbally communicate .. and be 'with ourselves' and our creative muse ... for 8 hours).

At 6:00 p.m. .. you all come together again to prepare another fine dinner together .. maybe a little wine to celebrate youR 'day of creative silence'. This is the time for sharing what you have created .. to talk together of your day's experience, your feelings, your creative energy. It would be nice during this eight hours to take a few moments now and then and 'journal' your day .. to share with the other girls later.

o.k. .. NOW .. you can stay up all night gossiping and eating chocolate!!!

Sunday morning .. a nice lively breakfast together and hugs goodbye until we meet again.

++++++++++++++++

this all sounds so delightful to me .. i actually tried to have a 'creative Saturday of Silence' with my dolly-making gurlfrenz in Maryland .. and absolutely EVERY one of them told me that there was NO WAY that any of them could keep quiet in the presence of each other .. and that they would have to TIE and GAG me and Hide me in the Cellar ... to keep my lips from flappin'!!!

HA! they were probably right.

But i'd sure like to give it a try here in Kentucky with my ya-ya's.

I believe we would have to limit it to four friends (plus me) .. as that is about the amount of 'sleepin' space available where we would not be piled wall to wall .. floor to ceiling ... in these little cabins.

sooooooooooo .. if you think this to be just a DEVINE idea ... e-mail or call me .. and i will start putting your name on 'the list' for our FIRST Creative Saturday of Silence. IF we get lots of you that would like to do this .. we'll just have to plan more than one!!!

Don't have a date just yet .. i'm thinking October (September might be kinda' full cuz' we already have a fun Gurlfrenz Gathering planned for September 3/4 here at the cabins and out-and-about .. i have a doll-class to teach here in Kentucky that month .. and TWO babies due towards the end of September) .. and .. Kentucky October's are delightful ... October is also GREAT back-packing months .. and honey hunk will be happy to head for the hills!!

ohhh . .isn't life just grande and full of wonderful opportunities!

xo, frannie

Frannie Meshorer
CABIN CREEK FARM
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile
gosh..wish I lived closer to join in the fun.but these are all terrific ideas.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  11:48:45 AM  Show Profile
That sounds so fun! Thanks for painting such a vivid image of various artists basking in eachothers glow.... and while I'm thinking about it, thank you for everything you have added to this board. I was here before you started posting, and it has gotten so much more lively and fun since you arrived! It was a fun board to start with, but you have added a lot to the atmosphere!

Glad you are here!

B.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile
well bobbi darlin' .. ain't my heart jus' smiling!!! i'm going to go to bed now and have sweet dreams! thanks for you dear words! xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  9:12:50 PM  Show Profile
p.s. gurlfrenz .. if you can't make it to kentucky .. think about maybe hostessing one of these 'silent saturdays' in your own home or area .. xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Creative "Saturday of Silence" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page