LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Hello All!! My name is Liz, I live about 20 minutes north of Memphis, TN. My husband is in the Navy, a Seabee. We have been in TN for 1 year and will be here another 2 years and then back out to California. So for the next 2 years I can keep chickens. I have 2 daughters, 4 & 2. We have 2 Banties, Cinderella and Jasmine, my 4 yr old named them! They are great, we are now looking for 2-3 laying hens to add to our coop. Our other pet is a 5 yr old cat who doesn't even want to look at the chickies, he goes out of his to stay away from them. He is so funny about it, he acts as if they are a bratty younger sibling. I grew up in South East Iowa and was involved in 4-H so I had ducks, chickens, geese, turkeys, and lambs. They were more pets than projects. I am looking foward to the day my girls are old enough for 4-H, I am already planning on having a nice flock of poultry for me and letting the girls pick and order their own for fair. We'll probably also have some lambs and goats also, and that is about it. We are planning on settling back in Iowa after my husband retires in 7-12 years depending on how fast he advances, (he's up for Chief this year ). I'm not sure what else to add here, so again Hello All!!!
~Liz

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  12:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Liz, you will love here and it sounds like you fit right in. Have you ever kept pigeons? My daughter was in the Navy, is out now, has been for about geez, 5 years!! Wow, time flies!

Again, welcome to the site!!!

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile
I haven't had pigeons... I am kinda partial to chickens and ducks. We move too often to have much, when we move in 2 years my chickies will go to my parents. They need some pets, they swear they don't but we'll see about that!!
~Liz
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  2:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Liz. I love your chicken's names! Very cute. Maybe your cat knows when he's outnumbered.
Look forward to hearing more from you.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  2:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Liz!! I agree..you will love it here. I have banties too..and just love them. I always had big chickens before,but I don't see myself having any but banties from now on..they are so cute and smart. Good layers and good moms too!!
I went once years ago to a friend's retirement from the Navy and got to go to the seabee museum in port Wyneemee (I KNOW I spelled that not even close) in CAlif. It was fun to see. Is that where you will go in Calif.?? I am originally from Calif..but further up the coast.
Anyway..welcome to the group..it will be fun to get to know you here!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- We were stationed in Port Huneme for 4 years, my girls were born in Camarillo. We will be back out there in 2 years. I am hoping we will be able to rent up in Ojai maybe, then I can keep some chickens. I can't have anything "farm-type" in base housing, we bought our house in TN but won't buy in California.
~Liz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  4:47:48 PM  Show Profile
That is why we moved here. I grew up in Arroyo Grande (15 miles north of Santa Maria) and alot of my family is still there..but it is way too expensive for us to buy..so we moved to Utah. I knew there was a very different way to spell Huneme and it wasn't coming to me..Ojai is really nice...that would be fun if you could get chickens. I can't think of living without them!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  9:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Welcome Liz!
So neat that you are able to get a little fix for the farm itch at your place now!! I have been a military spouse for years now and can not even have a garden in most places let alone a few chickens... So I think it is great you are able to do that there and have a place of your own. My hubbie is out and we hope to settle in 2-3 years and move right out onto a place with around 15 acres..so here goes to dreams!! I wish you the best and am looking forward to see you 'round...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Liz,

Welcome. Glad to have you on board.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."