unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls! I have admired the chatroom from afar & thought I would
stop in to introduce myself & say Hello.I am giddy over finding you! I was "brought up" around farms & to have a deep Love for Mother Nature. I am a "Sahm" of 3(7 mos. ,3 yrs., & 7 yrs old). My husband & I bought our first home in spring 2002 but we quickly outgrew it with the coming of child 2 & 3 along with my wonderful dairy mix goats Buddy & cleopatra plus my various chickens...We are now on the search for bigger land in the country to build a home & barn with a milk room/parlor for my goats. I hope to have a succesful goat "mini dairy" up & running within this decade. Why? So I may supply my local area/ community with good quality, tastey cheese & yogurt using herbs grown from my greenhouse & fruit from local farmers. Of course it is not an overnight adventure, but that is the goal.
I love kitchen & herb gardening, moonlight, fire fly's, sunflowers, dairy goats, chickens (not into showing animals), sewing clothes, & Farm life. I look forward to learning more about my fellow farmgirls & from them as well...
~Tammie

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/
A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  7:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Tammie, and Welcome! Whereabouts in NE Ohio are you? I have a friend in Alliance, OH - she works at Mt. Union College and her husband is on the faculty there. She makes soap and might like to buy some of your milk for her soaps. Anyhow, this is a wonderful place to hang out and celebrate your Inner FarmGirl! I live in Spokane, in the city, but have my gardens and hope to get chickens someday. Take care and welcome! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  7:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie and welcome! I'm a suburban farmgirl myself only dreaming if a little flock of chickens! You love all the things that farmgirls love. You will fit in just fine here!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  8:26:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie!! Welcome to the group. I love goats too, and had them for years. I just have one right now...a little angora doe who is very spoiled. I have other animals too and can't imagine life without them. How fun that you have a mini-dairy dream. I LOVE that!
I am not into showing animals either...I do like to go see other peoples show animals, but mine stay home. I am too worried about them getting sick, and I guess I am just not very competitive like that.
I think you have alot in common with alot of us here!! YOu will fit right in!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  9:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy,

I new here as well. I live in the Washington on just about an acre. Planning on outgrowing this soon. My husband is a city boy but puts up with me. My dream is to have chickens.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

ida
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

ida
camden ohio
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ida a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tammie!
I'm in Ohio too...SW though....welcome!

Mom's Makin' Scents
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy,
Welcome! As you can see I'm in GA, however I was born and raised in Akron/ uniontown area. I love GA but miss OH barns and the farm areas. Especially the menonite farms I grew up near. I think you'll enjoy the threads here. Be sure to go to the stitching room for sewing ideas.

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie,

Welcome to the forum. I love the fact that you're working towards your long term goal of raising goat & making cheese. Sounds great. Nice to meet you.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  6:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the Nice welcome. I live in the uniontown/ hartville area. Wow Theoanne, I live by your hometown! I did not grow up but was born in the old robinson memorial in rootstow, & lived around Brimfield till I was 9. I then lived around Tampa florida with a few different spots here & there always returning to Tampa area. I moved back here in '97, met my husband & october will be 9 years together. I do not winter well here. I have begged hubby for a greenhouse that I can garden in the winter, put a hammock in it for book reading & naps, grow a grass patch to have picnics with the kids & do my yoga. All to help with the winter blues.Will it be doable? I guess we'll see...
I do switch topics alot & ramble (which is why I started a blog). Thanks again for the warm welcom Ladies!

~Tammie

A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  7:24:19 PM  Show Profile
welcome to the forum.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Hello Tammie and welcome! I am new to this group as well. It sounds like you are well on your way to your dream and I am happy for you! I have never had goat milk so I am curious as to the difference, but I have been around quite a few goats in my life and I think they are great! I love the personalities that so many of them have. I lived in Cincinnati for 2 years so I am somewhat familiar with Ohio. My best friend still lives there and I go back every now and then to visit her. I love your idea for dealing with the "winter blues" I had thought of doing something like that with a conservatory. Hope you can work it out in time for next winter! I look forward to getting to know you and others better and will enjoy learning from you and others here about goats and goat milk/products. Take care and see you around!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  04:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Tammie
Welcome to the MJ site, Just checked out your blog, nice job, always nice to see how other MJ girls live. I haven't figured out the picture thing yet, have to do that one of these days.
Keep on posting around the site and pretty soon you will figure out who is who and what they are up to.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  06:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Tammie,
Welcome to Mary Jane's Farm. Your blog is wonderful!! Love your chicken pen and the farmgirl revenge. I wouldn't mind you living next to me, our girls would get along just fine!! I could come over and borrow an egg or two. I worked with a girl who ran a goat dairy and she sold the most wonderful cheese and chocolate goat cheese ganache balls. Mmmmmm.....she lived in NC. I am a displaced Midwestern girl living in Virginia. Welcome!! Hope you will love it here. Everyone is wonderfully nice and helpful.
auntgeorge
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  07:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Tammie, welcome!

I'm sorry I didn't see your post right away- living in North Central Ohio - we had no power Thursday and Friday, then we have been out cutting up firewood from all the trees that blew down in our neighborhood the last few days. You sound like a girl after my own heart - well, after all the farmgirls' hearts!

I am a MJF "Chapter of One" here in North Central Ohio - I will try and keep you posted on farming-related activities in the area and perhaps if there is one central to us, or of interest to you, we can have a farmgirl meet-up!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  05:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Ladies! Just yesterday, the family & I, explored some land for my possible mini dairy & our family mini farm. Giddy is not the word for it- I want to sing (bad voice) out loud and dance through the woods like Snow white to the animals kind of happy giddy. Silly huh?! I posted pics on my blog of the beautiful & enchanting stream that goes through the back property line. Feel free to check out the pics if you like. That one sits on 7 acres and the price is a little more then what we can spend for land- were looking at the 5 acre parcel untill I spotted the crossing!,but I just know that place is meant for us. You know the feeling I am talking about- The fells like you have always been there, homey feeling. I just have to try to figure out how to get the difference for the land... Sorry, I am so excited...I just want to tell everyone!
~Tammie

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Great blog, Tammie.

Good luck with your quest - hopefully the two extra acres will be attainable for you. Are there any potential investors in your future dairy operation who could help you out with a low-interest loan? Check out your land extension agent as well; they may be able to refer you to grants or other ways to finance the land. Can you rent the land to someone else until you are ready to build? If it is meant to be, you'll find a way. Keep us posted!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie! I'm near Cleveland, but my parents live in North Canton. I grew up in Marlboro Township. Nice to have another farmgirl in NE Ohio!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  10:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Tammie,
That is wonderful!!! Oh I hope you can figure it all out!!!! I enjoyed the pictures! ****sending good hopes your way!!
Keep us posted!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sandburs03
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Manito IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Tammie,
Welcome. It is nice to see someone else who has the dream of a small home dairy, with goats. Around here, people look at you when you say "goat milk" like you are some sort of crazy!! Anyone who ever says "well I tried that once and it tasted terrible", has never had goats milk that has been taken care of correctly. My kids will drink nothing else. We have Saanens and A nubian that we milk. Are hoping to get a few more going. Waiting on a Lamancha baby, and an Alpine baby. I have just started to dabble in the cheese making. It is wonderful. If you have any tips or ideas please let me know. I ma always looking for new ideas and such as we slowly build up our herd. Good luck on your adventures. LOL.
Mary

God Bless and keep you all.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic N.E Ohio Hello Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page