Page: of 2

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  6:54:30 PM  Show Profile
I just read the "underwear showing" stories and LOL! So funny! My youngest son is 18, and school sports have been a big help with keeping him busy and behaving. We also had a really good experience with boy scouts. We have a local troop with caring and trustworthy leaders and they can stay in until they are 18.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Nini = you are an awesome mom. Time will prove this.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile
Awww... God love and bless you, Jeannie. I'm not perfect, believe me, but I do try! :) Thank you! I think we ALL are awesome Moms, and we sure do ALL need to hear that a little more often, don't we? :)

Krissy - we had our son in martial arts when he was little, but he isn't the least bit interested right now - isn't that awful!? I'm going to try working on him about it a little more because WOW would that give me so much more peace of mind when he walks out the door to know that he really can protect himself and be wise in so doing! I will say prayers for your son. Try not to worry - God will be sure to nurture the seeds you have planted in his heart. I believe that with all of mine! :) My son used to be a real homebody until he started meeting kids in the neighborhood. It was such a blessing for him to be able to get out there, run around, play football and Nerf wars and all that crazy kind of stuff. But now the kids are older and some have started to stray and go wayward, and I just really cringe when some of them are out there with him. Your son sounds like mine -always "bored," always wanting something to do, but nothing presented is ever interesting or fun enough. It's so hard, isn't it? It's like my son is too grown up for Mom, but still needs her, but feels weird about spending time with her, so he balks her at every turn. Ugh. I'm just not cool anymore, and that is the pits. HOWEVER, I do believe that there will be light at the end of the tunnel! One day, when he's away at school, has a ton of dirty laundry, and a stomach whose grumblings just aren't sated enough by cafeteria food, I'll be the coolest person he knows - uh, next to his girlfriend, of course! ;)

Hi Mary!!! We're trying to encourage our son to try out for the high school's golf team this summer, but I think since he's homeschooled, he's a little shy about fitting in. Plus the school's homeschool evaluator alluded to the fact that "by law" the school "has" to let him "try." We got the message that he can try, but not to get too excited. A friend of ours suggested that the school will probably give preference to the kids in public school over homeschoolers. We'll see. I'm still working on him with that! And like you, we had an AWESOME experience with our local boy scouts. But he had to drop out when he hit - what was it? 7th grade? or 6th? I can't remember now. The reason was that he is basically allergic to every poisonous plant in the woods, and the boy scouts at that next level are heavily involved in camping in all seasons. Yes, meds are an option, but after a trip to the Renaissance Faire and a romp through it in the woods, he was covered head to toe with three or four different "poisons" - even in his ears and his eyes almost swelled shut! Since that point, he wants NOTHING to do with the woods or camping or boy scouts at all. Can't blame him, truly - he was a mess! I'm just really hoping he doesn't share his Mom's allergies for horses... I'd love to get him out to one of the local farms this summer to try horseback riding! I love it - but I look worse than him after a day on the trails! LOL! Even with medicine! :) BTW - Do you happen to know anywhere out our way that does public horseback riding??? Ligonier, maybe?

Thanks, girls - I really appreciate your input!!! Please keep the suggestions coming - as you can see, I really need them!!!

Hugs -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  06:23:50 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are a hoot. I have years to go before I have to deal with a teenager. At this point, I don't even know if my little one is a boy or a girl. I love the humor and how you ladies work with your kids. I will definitely keep reading as the time goes by.

I can just so see the horrified look on your son's face when you pulled your pants down and your hubby followed suit. Too funny.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile
I no longer have a teenage boy around the house, but I can relate to all your stories. No one could love their child more than I do, but there were times when I told that 14 year old he wasn't going to live to be 15! It will pass, I promise. And believe it or not, most of you will not remember all the angst and stress. My son is now 32, father of a 5 year old boy (possible payback), 3 year old girl (payback for sure) and another on the way. He is the best Dad I have ever seen, loving,fun, and patient beyond belief. I am so proud of him. That said I would give a year of my life to spend one more day playing with him as a little boy. I know it doesn't seem possible ladies, but keep trying to enjoy everyday with them and just keep loving them alot. It passes before you know it.

Karin
Farmgirl #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:18:21 AM  Show Profile
All I can say is that I'm glad I still have an 8-y.o. son because any mistakes I made with my teenager, I will NOT make with him! LOL

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

http://achickenwithherheadcutoff.blogspot.com/
http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/kristenparkinson
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  5:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I just found this topic, love the ones about the sagging pants. am dealing with some making out behavior and not looking forward to the discussion cuz he will be really upset by the consequences but he has been sneaking around and hiding things so his social life just came to a screeching halt. he is my youngest and as a teen is sooo different from the others. and not always in a good way. He is keeping his grades up but I need honesty and to be able to trust him
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by krissy

We had him in the Youth group at church but he has kind of fallen away from God and has stopped taking communion.

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

Don't worry about it so much Kristen, All kids go through a time in life where they make the transition of participating in the faith of their parents to making the faith their own. If you brought him up in the way he should go, he'll come back to it :) About the time he gets out of the house and gets a taste of a world that's unfiltered by Godliness he'll figure it out.

I've got a (barely) 18 year old and a 13 year old in the house (not mine, my mother's but they live with me just the same, and I'm forced to do a larger share of the parenting than I should.)

My sister is close enough to being an adult that we like a lot of the same things and "get" each other most of the time, but at the same time that frontal lobe isn't fully matured yet and those enigmas like "judgment" and "long term consequences" elude her. She don't get into the usual bad trouble like driving too fast, drinking, smoking etc, but she is SO bone idle lazy. It's been a close call to graduate because she puts everything off to the absolute last minute, and if she thinks of an excuse to get out of doing something, she'll use it. She's had the same set of chores for 5 years and she still wont do them on time without being hassled and she doesn't take any pride in doing something well unless it coincides with her "hobby du'jour".

She immerses herself in something she enjoys and loses sight of everything else in life... till she gets busted for dropping the ball (like almost failing 3 classes required to graduate because she didn't bother to do projects or homework assignments for two months) Then my mother starts grounding her from her favorite obsession and she finds something else to fixate on that is a total waste of time.

Then there's my brother-- he's a decent kid, most of the time, and is in civil air patrol (that's like junior air force), and takes school seriously, and has a good work ethic 80% of the time, but he deals with "once mama's baby" syndrome. He's super critical of my young children and is rude to them constantly and possessive of (our) mom.

He gets really mouthy and oversteps his nonexistent authority. (I hate when he tells my kids what to do when I'm in the same room and they're not doing anything actually wrong.)

He always expects mom to intervene on *his* side (she doesn't-- adults win, always. Especially when they pay the bills.) Every time he gets punished or chewed out by me or my hubby he goes and cries to her about it behind our backs.

It's a really stressful situation sometimes >_< I'm too busy picking the battles that matter to even bat an eyelash at the saggy pants.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  05:03:56 AM  Show Profile
I have one son. However, right now my 17 yo daughter is the problem. It comes and goes in spurts, and I am challenged often.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  5:04:42 PM  Show Profile
We homeschool as well. the school permits the boys to participate in sports. My boys actually have as much of a chance as the schooled children in making it onto the team. Basketball is a pain for all the boys because the coach picks 5 boys to play and the rest sit ont he bench. So, my 16 yo did not bother to try out at all.

We have saggy britches as well. We have compromised, as long as their pants are above their buns I can live with it. Their underwear is clean. They do look like toddlers with full diapers when their pants are sagging and I tell them that.

One of my sons volunteered at the library for a while taking books to daycares and reading to them. He told me he was not the volunteering type and I told him all of his sports coaches were volunteer and he could pay the community back for investing time in him.

There is a program in the community called Onion River dollars. No money exchanges hands but there is a list of jobs that people need to have done. If a person does the job they bank the time and someone else will do a job for them.

Your son could mentor a child form your church or nearby school. Around here youth mentors spend an hour or two a week listening and playing to the child.

My sons are doing alright now. They are being nice to me right now. It is important to be nice to the Mama because the mama does not do nice things for the sons or daughter if Mama is not happy. I tell them very specifically what he/she has done that has upset me and the reason he/she is not getting the favor he/she wants.

Boys do not think like girls and I find I am at a disadvantage because I think my sons should understand something and they just don't because they do not think emotionally. I am working on being clear with them but it takes me a while sometimes to figure out why they did not behave like I wanted.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:30:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi, it's me again. Sorry for not posting much. Things are literally insane at home right now, but I wanted to come back to this topic. My teen is 14 and starting high school next week. Oh, also, his voice has gotten much lower since I last posted in this thread. It took me quite by surprise - I thought maybe he had a cold or something! So he starts high school and we will keep him in twice-a-week martial arts in the evenings and also youth group once a week at night. If his grades fall, I'll pull him out of one of the evening activities.

Over the summer, my son has been helping his dad with work and we've also given him a lot more chores. This is to keep him from sitting around all day. He gets paid to mow the lawn (no small task), weed eat, wash the vehicles inside and out. We know he likes to have spending money, so he gets paid for those chores. We've let him play on his computer for a couple hours each morning but then he has to go outside and/or do chores as well. He is tall and thin and chooses sweets over good-for-you foods, but if I'm doing the cooking he will eat what I make. I don't cater to his tastes. He wanted pie for breakfast. Get real!

So I am anxious for school to start and hope he is able to keep up with the high school way of life. Things change from middle school to high school and teachers aren't so lenient. He's of the mentality that if he avoids the assignment, it'll go away. Um.... no. Doesn't work that way. You'd think he'd figure it out. He's been doing that since 3rd grade! Then he ends up in tears when he's been found out. I seriously hope my 9 y.o. son doesn't pick up these bad habits!

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, both my boys (13 and 15) tried doing good on tests and not doing homework and it did not work to my delight. Both the boys now have online grades at school and if they don't have an average of "C" they are grounded till they do. It is eash to change them, in a way. Make not doing their work worse than doing it. Last spring we went on eBay and sold their XBox and games to the highest bidder and they got the message.

Ladies, I have a 15 year old that I made the concession that if he wears his gym shorts he can have his pants a little low, it is hilarious to watch him constantly pulling up his pants since they fall down so easily. What I don't get is the pencil thin pants he wears, I just don't get how they are confortable, where does his "you know what" end up if there is no room in those pants. We told him if he treats his body like that much longer it may never work right when he gets older. He gasped and then decided we must be kidding because how would anyone know that kind of stuff.

Teenagers, what fun!

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:27:30 AM  Show Profile
Judy, what a riot about the pants! LOL

Well, yes, we have taken away privileges from our teen when his grades dive. Thank God for online grading systems!!! I like the idea of selling the XBox and games. I'd have to do that with the DS and games since the Wii and games are for the whole family and I, personally, love Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort! We take away video and computer-game privileges, no martial arts. He doesn't go play at friends' houses much, so that's not usually a privilege he loses. He treasures his time on the computer or his DS or the Wii. Oh, and when the batteries die on the Wii remote, oh well, too bad, the kids have to buy them themselves. Ha!

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Teenage Boys Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page