Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 magnolia Pearl company/designers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic magnolia Pearl company/designers Next Topic
Page: of 2

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  02:18:56 AM  Show Profile
i have to say thank you for whoever it was of the hens who recommended this site....it is wonderful...I do a lot of 1800's patterns in under garments & this site let me know there is other women out there who make the under garments heavy enough to wear as outside clothes....i thought I was the only one out there who did & wore this.... I just got 15 yards of bleached muslin to work/sew up & $70 worth of old fashion lace some antique. I am going to tea/coffee dye my muslin as I don't like pure white clothes...i tend to be messy & I always stain them up real well...with tea/coffee dying a stain adds to the old timey of the pattern/outfit....plus to be honest I just look awful in white.....sure does accent those hips of mine now in a younger woman that might be nice but to an old wore out 52 yr old it ain't a pretty sight to behold....Anyway I recommend if you are looking for ideas of what is out there that has that Maryjane farmgirl look check out this site...it takes a bit to load as there are many pictures but it sure is worth your time if you love womanly pretty frocks....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  03:10:34 AM  Show Profile
I just LOVE Magnolia Pearl. Robin is the most amazing and creative soul. Have you checked out her book, A Bit of Velvet and a Touch of Lace? She has also been featured in the Where Women Create and Where Women Cook magazines.

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

www.mymotherspearls.me
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  04:28:49 AM  Show Profile
No I haven't Sue...didn't know about her books but will definitely look at those...i just love this style of dress....i swear she & I could be sisters or at least related somewhere down the road....I don't know if she does it but I also get old white lacy sheets & cut them up...I have a sleeveless top i am making right now that is from a old 1950's sheet that was too pretty to throw out cause it got water damage way back when....plus they just don't make sheets like they used to.....now they are so thin that I love finding the heavier old ones & old lacy pillowcases to cut up & make a new outfit with......have a great day everyone...M'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:42:14 AM  Show Profile
I also love her, and would love to see pictures of what you make. I coffee stain a lot, it always comes out soooo pretty

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
omg!!!! i am in love!

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile
I have made some lace jackets using pieces from my stash of antique lace, inspired by Magnolia Pearl's style. For a pattern I drafted one based on a couple of antique combing jackets from the 1920's that I have (they are silk velvet and totally luscious!!)
I love the way the lace jackets turned out and am hoping to make some more soon. You can check on my blog for pics (I think April/May of 2009) is when I posted about them).

Sue

www.mymotherspearls.me
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:36:06 AM  Show Profile
hey Carol, love youe Etsy store1...I am from springfield, Mo...so I know where you are...lol...yeah I am trying to get the energy to dump the muslin in the washer so I can wash it then dye it...I am still getting over the Norovirus that my hubby gave me as a gift before he left for Afghanistan...lol...he's such a thoughtful man! Also the dog who ate my camera decided to push her way into my sewing room, eat patterns, slobber all over lace & tear up the bedspread...I just can't seem to go in there right now & I am sure Grandmama (ghost) is not happy with the dog or me for not going back in since the dog did it...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:51:28 AM  Show Profile
They have been bookmarked on my comp for ages. I love Magnolia Pearl! I wish I lived close to a store.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  09:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Megan I have to say your blog is great....I got such a kick out of the castration of the calf...with you saying in your head I am sorry over & over...me I say it out loud til someone tells me to shut up! We used to do that band thing to our sheep & boy did they do a funny little jump dance for about 1/2 a day......You are in a part of the country I love...KY...my family (Morgans) were there in the 1800's & I went down there to do family research...loved the people...I am a dis-placed southern girl up here cause of the military.....So has your language changed yet? Even up here I still say ya all, supper & drop my 'g's' ya know thing like goin' to town...lol...also say best be headin' off...drives these yanks up the way that's fer sure.....also want to say your baby girl is beautiful & you do have a talent for takin' pictures....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  2:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Michele , I hope you feel better. You are right down the highhway, let me know if you come to KC, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  03:34:34 AM  Show Profile
thank you Carol...I am hoping once Thomas gets back from Afghanistan we can move back home...we just bought this house 3 yrs ago but now that I am older I really want to be home but we would move to Sparta Mo...pop 1000...thomas' grandfolks lived there & I have always loved it plus there they don't care if I have a mess of chickens, goats ect.....my little sis used to live in KC but she just moved to Prescott AZ! shes along ways from home now but my son is still in Oklahoma....did finally get that fabric in the washer & the tea/coffee dying came out great..sorta a dull yellow...like when your white yellow & you don't want them too!...lol it should look really pretty with the old fashions clothes I am making...this morning got the 1940's sheets & pillow cases in for their 1 st wash & then will add the tea/coffee to them with the Alum....next to get motivated to go to the sewing room....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  09:03:48 AM  Show Profile
LOVE Magnolia Pearl. Checked out the book mentioned and OMG looks SO good ! Not here ofcourse duh...but from what I saw on the net.....too lovely

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile
i just ordered her book last night...i know she is more frilly than I am but I think it would be cool to see what she has done & maybe get a few ideas...like for the victorian bedroom I have set up........oh I dried the muslin I dyed & it came out great....looks more like natural unbleached muslin now which will work perfect for me......still haven't made it to the sewing room, but did go to the store & pick up some hair color...my gray is just too much so am going red again....now if I will just go do that then head to the sewing room I would be just fine...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  12:55:22 PM  Show Profile
I've ordered her book through the library to see what she has done and get some ideas. Thank you for the suggestion.

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  11:30:35 PM  Show Profile
LOL I just tried my library. I KNEW they wouln't carry it but ya never know DUH not ofcourse...

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  09:54:07 AM  Show Profile
I'v ordered a copy of Robin's book " Country Living A Bit of Velvet and A Dash of Lace: The Fabulous Interiors of Magnolia Pearl"
I've gone to their web site a couple of times, but just didn't have the time to linger as long as I would have liked. I love the clothes, but not sure they would look good on a 60ish+ great-grandmother. But the girl in me can dream, don't ya know.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I bet just reading the book is great :) And sure you can dream

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile
Connie, shame on you!!! they would be beautiful on you...hey I am 52 & look older but I think thats the nice thing about that style of clothing...it has no age bounders...think old western movies when the ladies had on the frilly under garments & even if they were older they looked great in them...well if they were alive now a days they could wear those out in the yard!!!1

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  12:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Connie - you are going to LOVE the book!!! As far as age goes, I have a 60ish friend who's also a grandma. She has a top, vest and a pair of the pantaloons that she wore during our trip to Omaha last year for Silver Bella. She looked AMAZING. I bet you would too!

www.mymotherspearls.me
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  8:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement girls. I'll keep all of that in mind as I brows through the website and drool over everything.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  05:28:50 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to hear you say that Connie....we all need encouragement sometimes but please never never worry about your age or even looks, hey its all about the attitude as far as I am concerned...plus to be honest at our age do we really care if others might not like what we wear.....I see young chunky girls up here wearing tight shirts & low rider pants that shows off their spare tire...to me I would have died at that age wearing something like that but I am always amazed at their attitudes....now I don't get shocked by it anymore because they have such a great outlook on life.....plus Magnolia Pearls outfits are so romantic in look & don't show the world your areas you don't want seen...lol.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile
I just got her book in today...I must say for me I adore the clothes but her home though quite beautiful would drive me nuts, now my older sister would love this..she is into victorian big time so I think I will send her this book for her to pant over...lol....The fabrics she uses I would give my eyeteeth for since so many are perfect in color,pattern ect for all kinds of fun things to sew. I like that she grow up in the early 70's in Calif with 2 artists for parents & though they were quite poor at times her folks were big what I can dumpster divers back then & created something new & useful from what they found......so I see where all her creativity comes from. I must say though her use of front porchs is wonderful...like another fancy outdoor livingroom.....I am glad I got the book to see where she came from & what influenced her growing up to be who she is.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile
hey guys!

check out her story in "Where women create"

luvs her!

lila
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  03:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I have the issue of Where Women Create and it's a great interview...and the pics are gorgeous. I felt the same way as Connie...at my age, could I get away with dressing this way. It's really encouraging to read everyone's posts!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile
hi Kim! I don't see any problem with a 'older' woman dressing as she chooses or for that matter any woman...Why are we so concerned by what others will think? its not like her outfits will label us street walkers or strippers....not that they are bad or anything...I refuse to step on any ones toes! I bet people judge when you are in your goin' to church clothes or in the garden clothes...Ok guess it time to tell you all a bit about me...I was a child in the 1960's saw all the great hippy clothes...went thur the 70's...enough said about some of those clothes! LOL...Was the 1st Punk ever in Branson Missouri & started my freshman year of college with a mohawk! I went to Africa for the Peace Corps & came back wearing their fabrics...so for me everyone has always stared or had an opinion of what I looked like so to tell you the truth I never cared & still don't. We get so locked up on what others think of us that we lose apart of ourselves that should really shine. I hate when someone tell me I could never do what you do because I would be afraid someone would laugh...hey laughter is a good thing...I have been laughed at over the years & it never hurt me...to me it gave that person something to talk about later & more people would laugh & have a good time with it...so where is the harm in that. Plus I know many men love the old fashioned styles of dresses, skirts ect...one reason is it makes the woman they are with feel womanly & they can feel that from them. I know I am going off on this a bit but I am so frustrated by this attitude of what will people think of me? You all are beautiful women who can be who you want no matter what others say....I get labeled the crazy but nice woman who lives on the block, or in the town. It means people remember me & the next time they see me they usually will say hello & I stop & talk, plus I have had young & old come up to me & tell me they like my outfit, skirt, top or what not that I am wearing that day....for me thats another connection & another smile I can give someone one.....All I can really say is BE happy with who you are & wear whatever you wear like you are a princess or queen....Crazy but nice lady...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  12:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the 'talk' Michelle, appreciate it. Would love to see some pics of you in your outfits!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic magnolia Pearl company/designers Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page