Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 "Good Girls Don't Need To Dress Bad"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic "Good Girls Don't Need To Dress Bad" Next Topic  

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Got your attention, no?

Anyway, have any of you read or heard about this book? I don't recall the author. I saw it at our local Christian book store and paged through it. Very interesting. I thought about buying it but I'm pretty stuck with my chosen colors (whether they are correct or not) and my blue jeans. When I hear about that tv show about how a person dresses, I get paranoid that I am dressing all wrong, but whenever I try to change my look, I am uncomfortable.

So--back to the book. One chapter had to do with accessories. Her rule of thumb is 16 and she has a list (one point for each item) of what she considers to be accessories. Here are some that I remember:

Shoes--1 point for each
Rings--1 for each (wedding sets count as one)
Earrings--1 each
Bracelets --1 each
Belt--1 point
Necklace (I think)--1 point
Matching clothes--1 point
Watch--1 point

Add these all up and it should be 16 or less and less is better.

I added mine up but only used 1 for shoes. I mean, everyone wears 2 shoes (!) and they usually match each other.

So-----10 bracelets; 5 earrings; 2 rings; 1 watch and none of my clothes are the same color. A grand total of 18.

So how do the rest of you stack (add) up?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  10:15:49 AM  Show Profile
If less is better, I'm good. I always have my wedding ring on and 2 shoes, although I have come to work with shoes from different pairs. Luckily they looked very much alike, both Danskos and the same color. Usually have some kind of clip in my hair, and my clothes usually go together ok - dark slacks and a feminine blouse. I occasionally wear a necklace. So I get maybe 5 or 6 points. Its funny, I like jewelry and have some nice pieces, just never get around to putting it on. I used to make jewelry too! Sometimes when I put it on now I feel like a little girl playing dress up.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  10:48:02 AM  Show Profile
It just counts what you are wearing at the time. If I counted all the bracelets and earrings I own, I would be so far over the top!!!

One day I also wore different shoes to work. Didn't notice until I was almost in the door. I have Ariats. Both pairs are burgundy. One pair has brown leather filagree and the other pair has brass studs. Of course, once I noticed I had to show everybody. We all got good laughs. I give the GED tests at the community college, so pretty much anything goes. I have seen some iinnnnn-ter-rrressting things.

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile
6 points - I am pretty minimalist.

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile
I got about six. I sometimes get to thinking I need to change my style, too, but when I do I never feel comfortable either.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i love my stack of bangle bracelets...i guess that makes me over done most days. in my defence, they are very thin silver and are all identical. my standard day would be 15 bracelets, 1 shoes, 2 earrings, 1 lebret, 1 necklace, and 1 hat or scarf. lol! i sound a bit like a gypsy.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile
i was told 13 is the magic number and that includes buttons on your sweater or jacket!ouch!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Guess i am about an 11. Wish I was that size! Wedding set. Two rings on the other hand, but they look like one. I do have multiple pierce ears, only wear tiny studs usually. A watch. Clothes and shoes.

I used to get dressed up with necklaces, dressy clothes, heels, etc. Now it's simple dresses and skirts, flats or boots (if I am really feeling up - cowboy boots), a sweater and hair in a braid. Unless I am in uniform. Then that is one of the few times I wear pants anymore.

Somedays, I just feel dowdy and others.... free and simple.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Maybe a 5 or 6. Unless I am going someplace I am always in jeans and a t-shirt, slippers (I work at home). I wear my wedding ring set, another ring, a watch and an earring in each ear. Pretty low-key.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Hmm..twelve for me. This is pretty much my wardrobe standard for the day. :) I only wear bracelets on special occasions and rarely watches as I am accident prone. Lucky for me or I'd be the whole nine yards..LOL
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  11:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Well I am in big trouble for the jewelry as I have on 12 rings that never come off....11 earrings but I hardly ever wear shoes...none on right now...med bracelet,,, no belt....one necklace that stays on til hubby gets back from Afghanistan...kind a good luck thing that worked with it when he was in Iraq...one ankie bracelet that has been on since 1993....oh & 2 rings on my toes!!! so thats 28 & that's not even clothes....lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  07:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I live by Coco Chanel's rule - get completely dressed, then take one thing off. I ususally make it an extra accessory - everything doesn't have to match...and just because you have it and it matches, doesn't mean you have to wear it. I work with a wonderful woman who is a dear friend, but I find myself wanting to take off half of her jewelry each morning. She typically wears earrings, a necklace, a watch with one or two bracelets with it, and two to three bracelets on the other arm. She's not big on rings, usually just one per hand. When I get dressed, I try to make sure I'm not over doing it. Modesty is my key - always.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I am usually a 6. Shoes, wedding ring, sometimes I wear one pair of earrings, usually jeans or a skirt and of course a coordinating shirt. I have been thinking about it and I thought maybe I should change my style but then I was thinking, for who am I changing my style? For me? Or for other people who really don't notice? Hmm. I decided to keep on keeping on. My clothes are age appropriate, modest, useful, comfortable, and I always try to dress for the occasion. I never heard of that book, interesting!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  2:53:15 PM  Show Profile
I am a 3! I have on two shoes and matching clothes (sort of). I used to wear jewelry and all that jazz. Now I am usually in boots, jeans and button down shirt or t-shirt. How much do you get for an apron?

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Well, right now at this moment I am a 2. I have earrings on. That's about the way I am most of the time I am home. I hate shoes so am always barefoot at home. I can't get my wedding ring on because it's too small now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  3:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I love reading these! I am all for the barefoot &and it makes my number seem more natural..lol I didn't used to be able to wear my wedding ring for the same reason, Kris, but Hubby would have no part of that and bought me a matching one in a larger size. So now, I have two. :D
What fun this thread is!
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  10:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, batznthebelfry wins for most points and kristin sherrill for least, although this isn't a contest! How fun to read about the different accessory styles of everyone. As far as shoes go, I never even thought about people who go barefoot most of the time.

Batz--where are all those rings?

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  10:58:01 AM  Show Profile
2 earrings
1 wedding band
2 shoes
I hope my clothes match!

so that is 6. The older I get, the better I look without a lot of stuff that only seems to accentuate the flaws!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic "Good Girls Don't Need To Dress Bad" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page