traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Last week I brushed out a riding trail that was overgrown with lots of poison oak. Normally, I don't react unless the skin is broken. Then I get a little itching and maybe some tiny blisters.

So--I was covered, except for my face, with numerous layers (it's winter here). I showered after I got home and used anti-poison oak soap. The following afternoon my wrist started itching (between the end of my sleeve and the glove, I guess.); the other wrist the following day; my neck; then on Sunday, the back of my shoulder. On Monday I could feel some raised bumps around my nostrils and around my lips, but no itch. There has also been some itching and redness around my bellybutton.

So my question is, is this typical of poison oak for it not to manifest right away? Why would it manifest in places that never were exposed? If it's poison oak on my face, why doesn't it itch?

Oh, I tried lavender essential oil the first day for it's anti-itch properties. It seemed to work when the rash wasn't so widespread. Plus I smelled really good!!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Poison Oak! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page