Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sensitive issue Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
I need to know if anyone else out there might have my issue and what do you use to correct it. I have microscopic colitis. Which at time will have me in the bathroom 20 or more times a day. Well with all that wiping it causes chafing and actual like paper cuts on my bottom. I am very limited to what type of toilet paper I can use and those bottom wipes are not a good choice. I am in need of a moisturizing lotion or cream. I have been using mineral oil which works great but messy to transport and use outside of the home. I have been to the doctor who misdiagnosed me and prescribed steroid creams, estrogen creams and anti fungal creams. They did not work and cause undesirable side effects. Any suggestion would be wonderful.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Althought I don't have your diagnosis, I have a sensitive system too and can fully understand how you feel. Have you tried plain old diaper rash cream/ointment? After a flare-up, I've been known to use a bit. It's coating and soothing and eliminated that awful raw, chafing feeling. And, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sensitive to toilet paper. I'm very limited to the brands I can purchase. Isn't it strange how our skin reacts to the more ordinary things! Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:08:29 AM  Show Profile
IBS is my problem and like you can be in the bathroom many times in one day. A&D ointment is helpful for me or Desitin but the A&D isn't as messy as the desitin. This getting old stuff stinks.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Betty Jo - when a family member had been very sick with a similar disease, the doctor recommended they use Balneol. It's like a cleansing lotion that moisturizes as it cleans. You use it every time you wipe. I know it worked extremely well because I cared for this person. It was very soothing, doesn't burn, cleanses well... it worked and helped so much - it was a godsend. I can't remember if it's something you can just get over the counter or if you have to ask the pharmacist (sometimes they keep things behind the counter), but it's not a prescription. I hope this helps a little bit. I will be praying for you. That must be a horrible thing to suffer with. God bless you - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  1:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Try Bag Balm, that has helped us when we had the flu and were constantly "going". Best of luck, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:33:12 PM  Show Profile
The little tears are fissures and boy they can hurt. I would reccomend the A&D cream. It is in a tube like the A&D onitment, but it is a cream not a greasy ointment. I have used that and it really helps you to heal up. Do not wipe, blot instead. That constant wiping will really irratate and make you raw. That cleansing lotion sounds good too. Just blot it on and then use the A&D cream. it will keep the moisture from getting and at the same time help you heal.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Try maybe the desitin that also has A & D. It should be soothing, protect and not burn.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Although I don't have your condition, I am susceptible to a sore bum if I'm not careful. And, if I've had a bout with diarrhea, it's a several hour process that involves numerous trips to the bathroom which - unfortunately, will cause irritation and sensitivity from the toilet paper. So I use hypoallergenic, unscented baby wipes to wipe with as a final cleanup step. They don't sting or pull on the tissue when wiping. But if I'm really having problems, I use hemorrhoid cleansing pads - which also don't sting and have the added benefit of being medicated. I have an ongoing supply of both baby and hemorrhoid wipes in a zippy bag that I carry in my purse and wouldn't be caught without them (thank goodness for those discreet zippered pockets in purses!)

And here's another odd remedy some older folks might remember: Crisco shortening. Yes, you read that correctly and I hope someone on here isn't shameful too to admit using it or at least hearing of this old standby! Although I nursed both my kids and only had one bout of diaper rash with them - I used it with both and they never cried when it was applied. it creates a moisturizing barrier minus the smell of some ointments. I don't see why you couldn't try this if you were careful.

Hope you get some much needed relief!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I wonder Tucks wipes and maybe a hemmoroid (sp) cream would help? Its made for mucus membranes so it shouldn't sting and may help soothe and heal?

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  2:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you deal with this Betty Jo.

Just an idea: Weleda makes a wonderful Diaper Ointment made with Calendula. Several of my friends highly recommend it for their babies. It might be worth checking out. I hope you can get some relief.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  7:02:52 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm doting Lanolin here lately. I have IBS and other ..ahem..bottom issues (from having babies) and that happens to me too. I use Lanolin. Its a thick gel like "lotion" (This thick vaseline) You can discreetly keep the tube in your pocketbook and use it when out if necessary. I would suggest a pantiliner as you don't want it to possibly show through a grease spot on your pants.I generally don't have that problem because I wear jeans alot, but in case you wear a more delicate fabric.
The lanolin goes on thickly and stays put!
Sorry you have to go through this. I know life can be hectic enough without having to contend with these sort of discomforts. I hope you find something to give you relief and quickly!
big hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  9:12:50 PM  Show Profile
What about an old fashioned sitz bath?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
My DD gave me some of the grandbabies Triple Paste, butt cream, works good. But I do need to get some new pantyliner. Since I haven't need them in 6 years the one's left, the sticky strip was gone on. LOL Thank you for all the advice on the sensitive issue.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  07:03:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey Betty Jo - same issues with me - I use cocoa butter and it is a lot easier to carry with you when you need to

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile
After I had babies I got a squirt bottle and I used that exclusively instead of paper tissue. Plus I used tucks pads which I love for their soothingness (my new word) and sometimes even that wouldn't help so I used my kids A&D at home or Butt paste while out and about. Sometimes when at home I would use Olive oil too (extra virgin first cold press) because it not only soothes and protects but also heals. It's like nature's original Bag Balm. I've found switching to 100% organic cotton liners and tampons have helped me too. I never knew some of the irritation I had was related to those products. Hope you find something that works for you!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you'd be happier with a bidet than paper. They make them to fit on regular toilets now. You can even get one that plugs into an electrical outlet to provide heated water, which would be especially soothing. I wonder if there's any way that your condition would make this rather hefty purchase at least partly covered by insurance.

I have friends from other countries who find America's lack of bidets to be absolutely barbaric.
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  5:41:46 PM  Show Profile
All the helpful ideas make such sense. I use diaper ointment and it helps alot. I hope you get some relief soon. Bless you.

Farmgirl: Cibola
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  7:42:59 PM  Show Profile
I found a bidet for sale from Dr. Mercola's website I don't remember how much it cost but I don't think it was too much and it didn't look like it would be too hard to install, in other words it isn't a separate unit like most bidets available in the US today. Just a thought. I am looking into getting one myself since they are considered more sanitary than using paper in the first place, but again I have to do more research before I can say I really have an opinion one way or the other.

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sensitive issue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page