nv2kenu
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Natasha
Ontario
Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  12:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to Mary Janes Farm. My sister sent me a few copies of the magazine and well I fell in love.

Anyway, on to my question.

I like to recycle my glass food jars from jams, pickles etc, for storing flour, dried beans...I was wondering if anyone knew of a way in which to get the pickle smell out of a jar. These are the largest jars, therefore are able to hold my flour in larger quantities, but I fear that even though they are washed, my flour will come out with a slight taste of pickle. I cannot seem to get rid of the smell in them.

Any ideas, short of using bleach? I prefer a more natural way, as I am using them for food storage. I have tried vinegar and baking soda - leaving the bottle to soak for a week or more with no effect.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Natasha

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  8:10:49 PM  Show Profile
I've used wadded up newspaper and stuffed in the jars. Sprinkle the wadded up paper with vinegar and baking soda. Seal it up with a clean lid and let it sit. Change the newspaper every couple of days and the odor should be gone. Also, check the lid you're using. I found that the lid was retaining the odor more than the jar. Good luck and let us know what works.
Go to Top of Page

nv2kenu
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Natasha
Ontario
Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  04:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan! Greatly appreciate the advice. I will try that out and let you know how it works. I am going to have to hope that it will work for the lid as well, as I am reusing bottles that I've purchased with product in them, so I cannot replace the lid, such as with a mason jar.

Thanks again!

Natasha
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  05:12:50 AM  Show Profile
I never heard that either. Thanks for sharing that Susan. Will have to keep it in mind for those crazy smells.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile
If the lid still smells after the newspaper/baking soda treatment, put the lid in a piece of tupperware with baking soda and a little water and let it sit. That's worked for me before, too. Look and see if the lid has sometype of paper/cardboard "lining" and remove that. But sometimes it's the rubber seal/gasket thingy in the lid that's smelling and it's almost impossible to get the smell out of that.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  3:03:34 PM  Show Profile
You might want to look here for more ideas http://www.ca.uky.edu/HES/fcs/FACTSHTS/HF-LRA.125.PDF. I had heard of using vanilla or charcoal, but had not thought about coffee grounds.
Let us know what works.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recycling Glass Food Jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page