Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ordered my Brisket, Gearing up for St. Patricks!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ordered my Brisket, Gearing up for St. Patricks!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  10:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Are any of you girls Irish, or Irish for a day, anyway? My husband is totally Irish, and I'm Irish and English (and Cajun and Native American, too!) so we happily celebrate St. Patricks Day in our household.

Last year, I made Guinness Beef Stew, but I'm sortof stewed out, so I'm going back to a homemade Corned Beef Brisket, with a horseradish mustard sauce. Will, of course, make soda bread with my gram's recipe, and serve some boxty on the side. I love cabbage, but noone else does in my house, in fact, my husband even complains if I make Sauer Kraut because of the smell. I always joke that he couldn't have lived in the REAL Ireland!

For dessert, I found a recipe on Epicurious that takes a Guiness and mixes it with chocolate and somehow it turns out like a milkshake. It will be an adventurous dessert, for certain.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Well, you spurred ME to looking for some recipes. :-) My mom was born on St. Patrick's Day and so it has always been a celebration for those in my family. However, you now have my curiosity up and I be looking up recipes for the items that you mention is your menu!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:47:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad, Mary Beth! Epicurious always has such great recipes for the holidays and they really do try to showcase Irish-in-origin recipes, which I appreciate. This year, they've developed several different "menu's" that would fit anyone, all prepared by Irish cooks and chefs. I took a bit from here and there and came up with my own :)

I'd love to know what you decide on!?

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm part Irish, too! My grandmother's maiden name was Patterson! I've been hearing Celtic music in my head for weeks now - I just can't wait! I tried finding corned beef brisket in the market last week, but they didn't have any. I got my cabbage and potatoes ready, though! We usually have a boiled corned beef dinner with the cabbage, onions and carrots along with homemade Irish Soda bread... I'm soooo looking forward to it! YUM! When I was a kid, my grandfather would always make his special corned beef hash the next day, too - what a treat it was! I would love to have a good dessert recipe, too, though! I don't have anything special for our menu - so please do share, ladies! Erin Go Bragh! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I have decided on the corned beef and cabbage and found the recipe for the horseradish/mustard sauce. I found a recipe for the boxty (never had heard of it!) and am dying to try it. What would be a good green veggie that would be traditional? I'm supposed to be inhaling green vegetables. Sigh. But then there comes dessert. I have nominated the Bakewell Tart for that course! :-) Oh, and we'll be sipping one of my teas that I sell. I do carry Irish Breakfast Tea, but not sure that would be appropriate for dinner! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a perfect menu, Mary Beth! And yes, the Bakewell Tart looks like a top notch choice! I've even had boxty as a "cake" (essentially a potato pancake) and love that, too. I don't know how you feel about peas or brussel sprouts, but those are very traditional Irish sides. Usually, peas with pearl onions in cream. I make brussell sprouts wilted in bacon grease with carmelized onions.

Tea, of course! I drink English Breakfast tea all day long--but especially in the evening when the last color of the daytime sky goes. It warms me, heart and soul, so I see no reason why a cup of Irish Breakfast couldn't do the same!

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm. Brussel Sprouts. I love them. Peas...not so much - that is, unless they are fresh or frozen and not cooked to death. Can't stand canned peas. When I was a little girl - well, 8th grade - we were visiting my grandparents in Florida and I remember that Grandmother ALWAYS had canned peas. I couldn't stomach them, but my grandfather made me sit at the dining room table, all by myself while everyone else had left, until I had eaten every last pea on my plate. I was trying not to gag and I was mad as a hornet at my parents for leaving me there at the table!!! :-) Haven't been able to stand those peas since.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile
For those of us who don't bake, Fry's Grocery Store makes a great Irish Soda bread only around St. Patrick's Day. It is absolutely delicious toasted with butter. Guess it's time to break down and bring out the slow cooker for the corned beef and cabbage. Thanks for the incentive!

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556

Edited by - foreverbooks on Mar 02 2011 1:57:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I just had my cow butchered and I asked for brisket. I have never fixed it before. What is boxty?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile
We love peas around our house. Fresh, when I grow them, frozen when I don't. My husband and little one eat them by the gobs. I can see, though, how that childhood trauma would make you hate those little green buggers!!!

I loooove Brussell Sprouts. Love them. I grew up on them and I only wish the people in my house would eat them!!!!!

Kris, brisket is a wonderful hunk of beef. It requires slow roasting/cooking, so the fibers break down, much like your pot roasts. The traditional way to make it for St. Patricks day is to corn it--in essence, brine it with a salt solution, so it tenderizes the meat. This should be done up to 5 days prior with water/salt/pickling spice solution. I can send you a recipe if you like, but if you're not doing it up for St. Paddy's, then the Pioneer Woman has a recipe in her cookbook, but WARNING! It's a LOT of meat in her recipe. I think it serves 12 or something. I just ordered a 5 lb for me and Jus, counting on leftovers for hash and sandwiches!

Boxty is a potato pancake, made from leftover mashed potatoes and sometimes cabbage or onions in the mix. Fried on a griddle just like your breakfast pancakes. I like Champ, too, which is, essentially, mashed potatoes with a lot of cream, and green onions, bulb and stalk, chopped fine throughout. You can also use spinach with your Champ.

Carole, that's so great that there's a good storebought Soda Bread out there! I always just make my own because it was my Grand's recipe, and it makes 2 loaves. You're right about it being great for toasting!!!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful Jonni :)

If you want a recipe for Corned Beef Hash I have a very good one.

btw, I love your restaurant idea. I would make a road trip for pie :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm the only one in my family that likes cabbage, so when we make our corned beef I'll just fry the cabbage with a little olive oil, until it's warm. Just for me! I make sure it's still crispy, I don't like my cabbage mushy! We eat corned beef all year round, it's one of my husbands favorite meals, plus my step daughter loves it too. We're quite a mix of nationalities, his side of the family is Irish, Scottish, English (there's some Gypsy and Viking mixed in there too, his mom is really into geneology) and I'm German, Irish, Scottish, English, French(I think) and Cherokee. We celebrate our Irish/Scottish roots the most, when we got married all the men in the wedding wore kilts! :)

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Where are you all finding the recipes for soda bread and the mustard sauce? would love to do these. Haven't decided on dessert yet!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  09:35:02 AM  Show Profile
This is my "go to" for most recipes, Denise.

The Guinness Mustard Sauce is from here, but my soda bread is from my Great Grandmother, Theodocia. There are AMPLE wonderful recipes for soda bread showcased here, though.

http://www.epicurious.com/

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  09:37:02 AM  Show Profile
thanks! I'll check it out.

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Can't seem to find the Guinness Mustard sauce.

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Here you go!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Guinness-Mustard-241651

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
thanks, you're a gem of a friend!

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  08:06:39 AM  Show Profile
My family and I look forward to corned beef and cabbage every year! This year we've cheated a bit and had it twice already before St. Patty's day! The last time was with my mom at the end of Feb. she roasted the potatoes and we fried up the cabbage after having cooked the corned beef in the 'ol crockpot all day. It turned out to be our favorite way of cooking (and eating!) corned beef and cabbage so far.

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  11:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Nigella, just curious. How long do you cook yours in the crockpot? What temp? I have a 5 lb. brisket that I'm brining myself (much to the oohs and aahhs of the old guys at the butcher shop!) and I've read so many different variations on "how" to cook it. Just curious how you do yours.

I was thinking I'd put it on low for about 8 hours or so, which is a sort of "composite" of most of the directions I've read.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  11:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Nigella,
We eat corned beef all through the year. Whenever we can get it! It is a much loved dish here.

Jonni~ I do mine on low for about 8-10 hours. Usually it only takes a couple of hours in the oven on 350.
I have cooked it in the oven on 250 for 5 hrs while at church and it comes out wonderfully.

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 09 2011 11:28:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, Denise. That's sort of what I was thinking, much like I'd do a roast. Since I'm corning my own, I'm starting the brine this evening, so we'll have it for Wednesday night's dinner!!! I'll cook it all day Wednesday while at work, and make the mustard sauce, the bread and the champ on Monday evening :)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ordered my Brisket, Gearing up for St. Patricks!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page