True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Liz,
Do you miss NC? I sure do. I want to move back either NC, SC or GA-- that is in my blood (even though i was born a Yankee) I dream of small farm there some day-- or a house on the beach, really torn about that, but it would have to be craftman style with a porch and clothesline!

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:26:21 PM  Show Profile
There are things I miss about it, and things I don't. We lived in Swansboro, and I loved that area, but not Jacksonville. New Bern was pretty too. We will probably be back there in a few years, and I want to be out more towards Morehead City or New Bern. The town has really gotten big even from when we first got there, but it is not a very family friendly area, which is important to me with a 3 year old, which is why I think I like New Bern better. I love SC and GA, Charleston and Savannah and the most gorgeous cities. I always wanted to move to Savannah, but I love the Midwest and its fields, so I guess I am torn too!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  7:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Liz-
I agree, since going back to visit i would not live in J'ville now. I love Swansboro, we were members to the NC aquarium the kids loved it and going to the one on Emerald Isle, just outside of Swansboro was easy and quick to get to, the kids never tired of going there. Then once you are members you can visit any of the aquariums and make some day trips out of it.
Yes, i love Savannah and Charleston too. My husband too me there when he returned from Afghanastan, then we've since made a trip back and will go more as long as i live out here- the southeast is my choice for vacation spots. We last stayed at Edisto Island, SC that was great.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  9:45:16 PM  Show Profile
thank you all you new hens for writing in...it means alot to me & I know to others like us that have to deal with the military life in some way or another....All this tall about the south has made me miss the time we were stationed in Georgia....We were at Fort Benning...now I did nt care for most of the military people that came in with their high & mighty attitudes but I will say I adored the people of that areas who were raised there....I spent alot of my growing up years in Missouri & got used to the way people treated each other....the hello's, the yes ma'ams, saying please & thank you...& I got that in the south as well plus it seems people were more willing to stop for a bit just to chat even if they didn't know you....& I am so bad at this....a 5 minute run into a store can be 30 minutes if I am talking to someone...lol...Now don't get me wrong Massachusetts is a beautiful state & thank goodness the small town we moved into 3 yrs ago is like this.....they have more of that southern/midwestern attitude about visitin' with others whether we ever see each other again. When we lived in Fitchburg I couldn't even get the shop keepers to smile...& forget about them saying hello....its hard for someone like me who wants the interaction of others when I am out...yes I have my bad days but if I am out I am always aware of my actions & try to be a good nice person....I will say that I have opened more doors for men than I ever have up here & very seldom hear a thank you from them...now in the south I would probably get a wink with the thank you...lol....funny how this country can be so different in so many areas....i enjoy my farmers laid back way of dealing with others & its so much less pressure too bad not everyone has figured that out..hey if my chickens are feed & watered its a good day...so my household is happy what more can I ask for?!....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile
WE loved the aqaurium at Pine Knoll Shores! The admission is so reasonable and I think it is one of the better aqauriums we have been to. We went to the Shedd here in Chicago and I like my little NC one better! We honeymooned in Savannah and Charleston. The history in those cities is so incredible.

On a military note, my husband was promoted to HM1 today. It was very exciting as he was the only one from the entore command that advanced this cycle. It was funny because they always tell you tol hold your applause til the end, and he was the only one, so people didn't know whether to clap or not...lol! A blue side frocking ceremony certainly is different than a Marine green side one though! When I was in they were short and sweet, this was quite the production!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2011 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the promotion! I always cried at those, i cry at just about anything- happy or sad. I surprised myself at graduation this year, i didn't really cry till i climbed in bed that night. I do miss active duty. When we travel we try to stay on military bases if possible. We feel so at home there and it makes me proud to walk around and see all the young active duty members- just something about it.

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  11:51:14 AM  Show Profile
Here's one to make you proud. Saturday my daughter graduated from Oregon State University (Go Beavers!) OSU has an ROTC program and about 30 people graduated. They asked the individuals to stand and the stadium started clapping and standing up for these kids and would not quit clapping. It was awesome. Finally we stopped and sat down. A high-ranking officer then administered the oath of office to these individuals. When he was down, the crowd did the same thing. I cried. It was so wonderful to see and hear the support for our troops.

And, on a personal note, Wednesday, my son left Chicago for San Diego to enter the SEAL program!!!!! He passed the preliminary training in Chicago. I am so excited and happy for him. He wants this so bad. I can't wait to see how he does.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2011 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow the SEAL program thats a huge deal to get to do that Congrats to him. Congrats on your daughters graduations. Our son has been gone since Oct 2010 AF Bootcamp and Tech school. I sure am missing him. He should be home in July. Then on to being stationed at Whiteman in MO. The service is a world of all its own. I have a whole new respect for every single service person. They work so darn hard and no one knows it.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  8:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Loyce,
Congratulations to you and your son for getting into the SEAL program. That is awesome!

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  10:03:10 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, ladies. Unfortunately, the congratulations are misplaced. Keith dislocated his shoulder on Saturday. INDOC was supposed to start Monday. So disappointing. Of course, I am wondering, "Did I not pray enough?" "Am I too proud about being the mother of a SEAL?" "Why did God get him through preBUDS and then allow this?" So, now Keith is out of this class.

They are talking about surgery. I guess there is a surgery that will prevent this from happening again.

When I think about it, I just want to cry. I know that God has a plan and this is part of it. But why did He keep our hopes alive for so long and then dash them? My prayer is that Keith will not blame God or turn his back on God. He's (Keith) been disappointed before. The first time his shoulder dislocated was Gradustion Night last June after the Recruiting Officer just annouced that Keith got an extra bonus for signing on as a SEAL. He had to wait six months before his shoulder was fit enough to re-enlist.

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Loyce I am sorry about Keith's shoulder & the pain the poor boy is in...but to be totally honest I feel there is a reason this happened again to him & that though his heart was set on being a seal thats not where he is truly suppose to be...but try telling a kid that & they will roll their eyes at you......There is a place for him in the marines but he hasn't found it yet that is meant to be his....plus a military person is taught that disappointments come with being a military person & to roll with it...so I do hope he doesn't let this set back make him quit on the idea of serving....My hubby was Special forces but is now a computer man with the army...it was hard on him to have to walk away from that due to age/injuries but he is now in his true element & seems content with the change but it took years for him to get over no longer being a Special Forces....for some reason I see wonderful things ahead for your boy so don't worry Momma....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Michele. I agree that there is a reason this injury happened. God has a plan for Keith. Right now, the SEALs just isn't it.

Other than the disappointment of recurring injury, Keith really likes the Navy. I think he's found where he wants to be.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic any Military wife/hens Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page