Page: of 2

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:48:27 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone else been watching this series on ABC news. It really is amazing. Yesterday the economist said there were somethings that we should try to compete it, but by buying more American Made products we don't change the world economy. Even cloth diapers were being made over in China. It is really amazing. We never look at that little tag and it's so prevalant you really have to shop to avoid items from overseas.

So the challenge... the next time you need to buy something look for it from the USA.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:50:42 AM  Show Profile
We just did a project for school where the boys had to bring out a bunch of stuff and figure out where it was made. They were just amazed at how big the CHINA pile was. Insane, i know!! Then we had a great discussion about trying harder to buy American. I haven't seen the series, but the boys and i should look for it...always nice to tie in those lessons I teach during the day into something they actually see on the news. You know, because then they know mom wasn't "lying". :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
We were just talking about this in class friday. There are a few of us who have strong sustainablity based design platforms and we were talking about not just the economic, but also the environmental implications of choosing to outsource. The move toward small local business and cottage industry isn't just something being talked about among farmgirls, the rest of society is begining to see the wisdom in it as well.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile
this is such a hot spot for me. it seems like all things come across an ocean. amy and laurie i agree. what a fine thing to teach the kids. my dil says everything comes from china and china hates us. who knows what really is in the stuff sent here. way back when i was knee high to a grasshopper my dad would warn us kids. it is getting to where the only store in town is wallmart or costco. the mom and pop grown made in america has been gone awhile. i think there is a come back. you two and farmgirls that have an awareness help. every choice we make does make a difference. the farmers markets and small markets locally need our support. when young folks live this especially it has an affect. you are a big number. well gotta milk the cow. she is waiting on me. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  08:56:54 AM  Show Profile
This is an issue that really makes me angry. How have we let this happen. Every item purchased from China not only takes food out of the mouths of workers in our own country, but it contributes to the toxic world we are creating. These Chinese products are made with no regulations in manufacturing or disposal of waste. Environmentalist report that the contaminated air and water coming from manufacturing areas in China is far worse than what the rest of the world is producing -total. Look how often lead or melamine is ending up in products that are imported and intended for consumption. If I can not find it made in the USA, I don't need it. We are paying far to high of a price for this cheap imported junk,

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  09:01:43 AM  Show Profile
I saw that last night and was going to mention it here. I'm glad you did, Laurie. My hubby is always on a "buy American" kick. He worked at a glass company for years and they closed down because of the competition and because more things went to plastic. And I always thought the Vizio brand TV was made in America but they said that no TV's were made here. So I think that gets people confused. There might be things that are "assembled" here but all the pieces were made elsewhere. So be aware of that when looking for American made products. We have alot of factories that make things here but alot of the parts are not.

Great topic. And I agree with Sherrye about the China thing. Ya just gatta wonder.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 06 2011 3:34:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile
I saw a made in China tag on the apple juice on our cupboard the other day. How weird is THAT?

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
We have all heard the terms, "distribution of wealth", "level the playing field", "social justice". They are not talking about just taxing the wealthy and giving it to the poor. They are talking about taking from USA and giving it to the third world countries. "THEY" want us to be a third world country. If you don't believe that, just think about what would happen if China gets just a little Pissed Off at us. They manufacture ALL the light bulbs. We don't manufacture a single one. Wonder how dark it would have to get before GE would fire up one of their shut down factories?

Talk about the environment, what is going to happen when we get a landfill full of those cirley Q lightbulbs. The package tells you how to dispose of them. Who is going to read it and go to that much trouble?

It is a real Hot spot with me too Sherry

Belle
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile
This was an insidious thing that started happening many, many years ago. It started actually with Japan, then started spreading elsewhere. First little transistor radios, then TV's, let's not forget the cars and all the parts that go into to them, then everything else that you can imagine. It was a process that has eaten up American jobs and it's sustainability like a cancer. It has spread to everything, just look at all the food that comes from everywhere else. For heaven's sake even mushrooms aren't grown here. It really really sickens me. The American way of life will never be the same. We cannnot be a sustainable nation when we keep buying and importing everything we eat, use, wear,drive etc. Don't tell me all the politicians weren't warned about this, dems or reps.If I saw this coming and I am sure millions of others did, I am sure some of the top economists did. This is what has happened to the American way as we knew it. Personally, I don't think this country can ever completely recover. The number one way is to bring factory jobs back to America. Good luck with that one.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  1:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't want to make any of you mad at me. I agree with all you say, however, watching some of the programs that have been addressing this subject, most Americans want products made in America. They however if buying (a refrigerator for example) are not willing to pay the extra $50-300 extra for one made in America rather than Mexico, China, Taiwan etc. Since we all are trying to pinch pennies, most people will save the extra money buy buying something foreign made than one made in the good old USA. They also said that Viking is the only kitchen appliance that is TOTALLY made in the US. Even I POD components are made in China and assembled in the US. Sad!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, I watched the series too! As I grow up and start to make my own consumer decisions, I am getting more and more power as the consumer. I think this series will open up the eyes of everyone in America. In the sixth grade, we all had to gather up items and see where they were from to show how large our global economy is, but it seemed that the global economy is everywhere except for America! I accept the challenge to look on the label and see where it was made, and to give a job to a hard-working American.
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  3:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, I agree with you that a lot of Americans don't want to pay the extra money. But remember that is how our economy got in the shape it is in now. By saving that extra $300 say on an imported refrigerator, jobs were taken away from Americans, money was taken out of our economy here, and you now have a product that was made cheaply to break in record speed so you have to buy another refrigerator in a few years. So you really are not saving money in the long run. People have to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too. If you wants things to get on the upswing here, you may have to spend a little more money, search out products, or say no to things like new TV's.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  4:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jane, I agree with you, but will people do it. Being in my 60's I've been minding the pennies and watching jobs disintegrate since the 80's. NAFTA was a program that I disliked from the beginning sending industries out of the country. We give industries a tax break for producing items out of the country. We need to contact our legislators, lean on them to gather together and do something, such as giving a tax break to those industries who do produce products in America.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  4:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Claudia and Jane, you bring up good points. American made products are generally better made, higher-quality products, and that will save us time and money in the long-run.
I also want to bring up something else: in America, we do not produce light bulbs. There is not one light bulb produced in the United States. So maybe, we can't buy everything American made, but we can try and engineer and manufacture the next light bulb. Instead of mourning our losses, let's look for new industries that can revive the state of our country's economy.
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Megan,

This morning I watched the Christian Amanpoor's program ABC program. The head of the AFL/CIO was on and talked about the Sylvania bulb made in the US...no mercury and sold at Lowe's. One of the articles is below. Now why did I not know that these were around?
http://charlieaverill.blogspot.com/2010/06/usw-boost-launch-of-american-made.html

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  6:42:00 PM  Show Profile
lots of good info and opinions here. i saw above someone commented on apple juice coming from china. we grow the apple send it to china and they make the juice and selling it back to us. 85 percent of apple juice comes from china. very sad sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  11:04:31 PM  Show Profile
I did not personally read this, but... was told that America has the highest tax rates for manufacturing companies than any other country in the world. So sad if true! We try to buy American made products as much as possible. Though it can be so time consuming to find, and a little more expensive; it's definitely worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  05:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Colleen, unfortunately that is true. With that being the case, manufacturing goes elsewhere to do their manufacturing. People who yell, "Tax the Rich!!" don't understand that "the rich" make the jobs as well as the goods and that if one place makes it hard for them to operate, another will open its doors. Just look at New York and California. These "progressive" states decided that taxing the rich out the wazoo was the fair thing to do. All of a sudden, companies were moving to places like Texas and Oklahoma and New York and California not only lost jobs, but they lost their tax revenue as well, both corporate and sales. Now these two states are hurting badly.

Until our politicians understand that the class warfare against business and business owners has to stop, the jobs and product manufacturing is going elsewhere. Nothing in life is fair and our politicians had better start recognizing that government can't "fair" things up for everybody. Equal misery for all is NOT making things "fair"!!" :-) Stepping down from my soapbox now.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  05:25:50 AM  Show Profile
What a great discussion ladies. The apple juice thing shocked me. I did not know that as the last few years I've been making my own juice. SOme prices might be higher, but others are lower. If everyone commits to just one item a year it would be a start. That's a lot of people buying MIA. that way for budget conscious we are still paying attention. But I warn caution. Non organic food is cheaper and will continue to be, but we are closing the gap because there is more demand. I'd rather pay for the organic because I think I pay less when it comes to medical bills.

Do I think we should make everything? No. It's just like I can't do everything at home my self. I need help and even if 20% comes from overseas I'm ok with that. What I think we need to do is demand better quality. Stop by the cheap toys for your kids and grandkids. Just because it is on tv doesn't mean they have to have it. Yes I know there will be pressure and some things you will buy, but as I mentioned above, buy some of your kids toys MIA. Only we can turn this around. So to add to my challenge everyone try to firnd a website with made in America and post it to share.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  05:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, go to my website below and you'll not only find Made in America, but Made in Oklahoma!! <giggle> I have been looking for kitchen items made here in America to put in my store but they don't exist! There are several cookie cutter companies, but as far as kitchen utensils, that seems to have been totally sent overseas. If anyone knows of a company, I'd sure like the info.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  06:24:38 AM  Show Profile
My Husband has the hardest time with finding work boots made in the USA and if the top is made in the USA the bottoms are not. we started paying attention about a year ago. That is one reason we dont buy clothes or much else at Walmart the story we saw was horrible you wouldnt believe how the children in the sweat shops live and are treated those are the people making clothing sold at Walmart and a lot of other stores. This is the reason we have switched to trying to do everything our selves and checking every label. OH get this one frozen fish is grown in the US but flash frozen and shipped to china to be processed then sent back to us to be sold. Check the back of the package there are very few actually completely grown and processed in the US now that is gross.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile
I didn't get a chance to read all the posts, but Bellepepper said it all! We are really in trouble and circling the drain. It is going to take salt of the earth people to stand up and stop all this nonsense!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  3:01:12 PM  Show Profile
And what you would think would be 100% Made in America products, like John Deere, and Carhartt, aren't made in America at all. It's sad.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, it's so true. A couple of items would make such a huge difference! So, here's my website: http://sweetgrassfibers.com/
Now, I don't know if the cotton and hemp are grown in the USA, but the fabrics and clothes are manufactured in the USA!
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:44:23 PM  Show Profile
I fy'all will go to www.plainandjoyfulliving.com, they make wooden toys for children and lots of other things. Also www.farmama.com. She has several sponsers that all make wonderful things. I would so much rather buy from these people and support them than big box stores.

Also have a question. We will be car shopping soon. Is there a vehicle that is totally made in America? Or pretty close? I would really love to look at some if I can find any.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile
http://farmama.typepad.com/farmama and http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com