FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this company, but, I was very surprised a few weeks back when I had to run out and buy an "emergency" spring form pan as mine was old and decrepid and I was making a cake for a catered party. I ran into Kmart and picked up the most reasonable one there, made by Vikingware.

When I got home, I was suprised to note a) how well made it was and b) that it read "made in USA".

I will happily purchase more Vikingware products since I am replacing most of my old baking items!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AimeeC
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Aimee
Selah Washington
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, if you look at labels, Tree Top Apple Juice is made right here in Selah, Washington, from apples grown in the very beautiful (I think) Yakima Valley. Tree Top is a grower co-op. I am fortunate to live in an agricultural area, but even I have to tame the temptation for out-of-season produce grown in Chile and Peru.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  05:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Aimee, that is great that you are right in that area and they make the juice right there. I know where my apples come from too. Right in my front yard! We usually take them to a friend's to make apple cider in the fall and then freeze it. It is so good. I have 3 really old trees and 4 newer trees. They are just beginning to show some green now and I hope they don't get frost bit later.

Jonni, that is good to know about the Vikingware. I am always looking for good kitchen baking things. Thanks. And I like Kmart. I will not shop at Walmart. Now my daughter is working there. I hate it but that's where she is. It's paying the bills. And my parents support her real good.

That would be great if anyone has info on made in America items to post them here. I would gladly spend the extra bucks to support our country and hard workers.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would add my .02

I always look at labels. If food isn't grown and processed in the USA, we don't buy it. It's the most natural thing to eat what's in season for where we live. But then, being in Central California, I have a great selection of food grown right here in the state all the time.

Also, there are wonderful mushrooms grown right over on the coast!

I remember back in the 80's presidential campaign when Ross Perot was running for president, he was against outsourcing. He said it was like a big flush of American jobs going right down the toilet.

I do my best to buy all things made in the USA. But it can be difficult. Very difficult. Didn't know where to find the light bulbs. I'll be going to Lowes for those!

Can someone educate me about why K Mart is better than WalMart?

Thanks!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited. Because of some of your links, I have found a couple of companies in the US who make kitchen utensils and items. I will be contacting today. I am hoping that I can start carrying them to go with my Made In Oklahoma products as Made In USA too! Cool. We make lots of things here in Okieland and I carry some of them, including my own Made In Oklahoma product. You can check them out at www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/shop

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  09:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Kmart does carry some Made in America products. I'm not sure if Walmart does at all. Others may have thoughts, but that I do know.

Mary Beth. Glad to hear this has helped. I had to look up where MLoud was loacted. I grew up in Altus for a number of year.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

peebs
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Yannira
Connecticut
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  6:43:53 PM  Show Profile
I am very excited to see all of the links that everyone has posted, of where to buy American made products. My husband and I have not been to Walmart in quite some time know since we saw the movie/documentary called "Walmart- the high cost of low price". It was not only bothersome to know how this big corp would come in to towns and local shops close because of it, but the interviews of the workers in other countries working hours on end for chump change.

About 12 years ago I worked for a factory. A month after I was hired at my current place of employment, I found out that the factory was closing and moving to Mexico, because they only had to pay workers there about $3 to $4 and hour instead of what the minimum wage was here in America. I was saddened, because of all of the people that were let go and left to find new employment within a matter of weeks.

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Yannira, that is what has happened to most factories here. There is no way you can live here on $3. an hour(trust me it was less that that in Mexico and other countries). Plus there is no health insurance costs for the companies, fewer if any safety regs. So they move the parts plants or clothes plants, whatever, to these cheap labor countries and make themselves a lot of money and still charge good prices here to the public. Don't think for one minute it is only Wal Mart. Every single thing that is manufactured say in China or other countries for any company reaps the profits. Ever look at designer label clothes? Guess where they are made? Not here. What the manfacturers failed to think about though, was that if all these jobs are lost here in the USA, just where do they think the people are going to get the jobs and money to buy these products?

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile
I went to Kmart today. I was looking for something to make a turkey nester for my turkey hens that have finally started laying eggs! All this talk about buying American got me thinking. And searching. I was going to just get a couple plastic totes. (Because I am too lazy to make some nesters out of wood.) But they were all made in China. So looked some more. Went to the baking section. Then got to looking at all the bakeware. I found several companies that make their products here. Like Anchor, some Pyrex, not the baking sheets though, Nordicware, Rubbermade, made in Huntersville, N.C. Arrow Plastics, the freezer containers. Not made in the USA is Kenmore, most of the Kmart brand, Essential Home. But their springform pan is. And Wilton. That's as far as I got. Then I found those tin roasting pans for turkeys. Handy-foil. Made in America. And they were just $2.99 a piece. And they are made from 100% recycled aluminum.

I will keep looking for more USA products. This is fun. And very time consuming. But educational too.

My daughter that works at Wal-mart is only making $7.45 an hour. She's been there about 5 months now. Even if she went to nearly full time she would not get a raise til after a year and then only .40. I want to see that documentary about Wal-mart.

Are there any clothes made here? I will start looking for that also. My mother said she thought Old Navy does. But I don't really like their clothes for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Kris, yes there are clothes. Check out some of the links the lasies have been posting.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Made in America Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page